ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

CIJ Jaguars... what do you think?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
stereoloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: CIJ Jaguars... what do you think? Reply with quote

Hi everyone... am looking at a CIJ jaguar... possibly something like this -> http://somara.com/guitars/item/6169

Sorry did a search but the results of CIJ jaguar were too overwhelming so my bad if this has been covered before.

How's the dependability of CIJ jaguars? how's the build and workmanship? are the pickups any different? You think the matching Old Candy apple red headstock makes it hotter? Embarassed

I think I once read that japanese jaguar bridge is not stable...
Gavin
I Beat BBC News

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are great guitars. I personally think the OCR with matching headstock and B&B are superb looking. I own one and I love it to bits. I dunno why they are marketing that one as a '66 re-issue, 'cause it would have had B&B and F-Tuners if it was a '66.

The Japanese bridges are fine, the build quality is good, the pickups sound quite thin and aren't as "full" sounding as the AV re-issues or the CPs and they can feedback a lot if you use a lot of gain, I like them, but I don't play at high volumes, like gig volumes.

From what I've heard vintage Jag p/ups are very thin sounding and so ironically the Japanese p/ups are probably closer to the sound you'd get with vintage p/ups.

Last edited by Gavin on Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wouldn't trade mine for anything other than a real '66 and that would never happen, so this one isn't going anywhere.

only change i'll be making is putting a duncan SJAG-2 in the bridge for some more ballz (i only play the neck at this point).

love the neck, love the fit, and the sound was exactly what i was looking for.

EDIT: here it is before AVRI cream pickup covers

stereoloud

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow thanks for the very fast and excellent replies guys

Yeah it seems like this is the one http://www.fenderjapan.co.jp/fender/2008fender/jaguar_jazzmaster.htm marketed as a 66 indeed on the official fender jap forum...

Gavin -> what does B&B mean though?

and everytime i hear others talk of feedback on certain guitars' pick-ups, I go thinking isn't that a good thing for me (for a sonic youthugish fiend like me?) Or is the feedback terrible squeals? (wait isn't that a good thing for a sonic youthugish fiend like me too?)

and here's a copy & paste of what I read about the bridge
Bridge
As mentioned by the others, main 'problematic' area is the bridge in which if set up improperly, it can produce buzz, loose screws, strings 'jumping' out of the slot, etc. One alternative to replace it with the Mustang bridge which has a deeper groove/less moving parts involved. Another useful mod is to install a 'buzzstop', which is also a good alternative to reduce the above-mentioned problems.

Would any of that be necessary on a jap?

hotrodperlmutter -> excellent pics and advice! now you're reallllly making me wanna run out and get the CIJ Jag! Good to see someone really love the Jap Jag! How's the SJAG2 different from the AVRI pickups then?
Viljami

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend just got one, and it needed the setup. There's all sorts of "how-to.." guides on the subject. As for is it any good? Yes. For the price, it kicks ass. As long as you do the set-up properly. But what's wrong with working on your guitar? Buzzstops probably help, but we can't get them here, because we live in a poor communist country. Either that or he's just broke. Very Happy
Reece

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love my CIJ.

the bridge is fine really, mine spends most of it's time tuned to something close to open C so the low C would pop out of the saddle quite often since there's less tension. i replaced it with a mustang bridge but if you're staying in standard i can't see it being too much of a problem.

also B&B = blocked & bound, like this:

Fran
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very reliable guitars, a pro instrument once you take time set it up. The only questionable area is the pickups- some like them, some dont. But its not uncommon to upgrade pickups on your main instrument these days, no matter what brand or model you buy.
The bridge can be a problem but its simple enough to set it up, buying a Mustang bridge really is not necessary.

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
suede

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great guitars, excellent built....as mentioned before pickups could be better...they sound good clean in my opinion...but it depends on what you want to do...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: