ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Using Amplitube with Logic Pro 8

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Using Amplitube with Logic Pro 8 Reply with quote

Does anyone here use Logic?

I'm trying to use Amplitube for a guitar track, but have no idea how to get this to work. I'm assuming Amplitube is a VST plug in. Is there somewhere you have to put it for Logic to find it or something?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
James
Nutmeg


Joined: 13 Jul 2006
Posts: 10645
Location: Boxingham Palace

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually there is a folder the software looks for VSTs in. The VST will usually be a .dll file and you just drop that into the folder and reboot the software (some software will let you refresh the VST list but relaunching will definitely do it because it looks in the folder on launch). The folder will likely be something like...

C:\program files\some company\logic\vst

Or perhaps instead of vst it will say plugins or similar. Sometimes it will create a generic folder like

C;\plugins

that it will look in so that you can share the plugins more easily with other software, so it could be that.
_________________
Shabba.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a mac, so it'll be something different. I can't find any folder named anything like VST or plugins or anything. I've searched for .dll and they all seem to be related to games that I have on here.

hrrmm.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Reece
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 10347
Location: Kent, UK

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

usually you can set folders for it to search BUT here's a tip, your PC has a registry key for the default VST directory and a bunch of programs will add that as the directory they search in.

ah wait you're on a mac aren't you? never mind.

for any PC users reading it's in local machine > software > VST. the VSTPluginsPath entry. useful if, like me, you don't use the default directory but can never remember what directory you do use.
_________________
http://alligatr.co.uk/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BacchusPaul wrote:
I'm on a mac, so it'll be something different. I can't find any folder named anything like VST or plugins or anything. I've searched for .dll and they all seem to be related to games that I have on here.

hrrmm.


I am a Mac Nerd. Can you send me some info on Amplitude? I have used Garageband and Logic is the next step up so I know will be similar.

What versions are you running?

Have you checked the Support forums on Apple.com?

Send me a PM if you like or use this thread.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Here is IK Multimedia's page on Amplitube. They have tabs with specs and such there.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/amplitube/features/

I'm running Logic 8.0.2 on OSX10.5.8

I've tried around a few forums and spent all evening googling stuff. To be honest, most of the threads I found were for very specific problems and were created by people who were well past the level I'm having difficulty at.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this on the website

Starting AmpliTube 2 in Logic

Launch Logic™. Insert “AmpliTube 2” on the desired track from the mixer window. The AmpliTube 2 edit window will automatically open.

TIP: in order to take advantage of the stereo capabilities of AmpliTube 2, Cabinets panning, stereo rack FXs, open the plug-in as Mono -> Stereo when inserted on mono tracks, or open it on stereo tracks.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, that's as far as I got. It's not showing up there.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I downloaded the demo and will try installing in Garageband to get a feel for how it works.

Can you basically not find how to start up Amplitube?
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can run it as an App and it's very, very good. I can't find out how to get it working with logic.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you set it up when you setup a new track. I turned on the monitor, set reverb and echo to 0 and selected Ampitube as an effect option

I downloaded the demo and was able to get it to work on Garageband. I have not found the specific solution for Logic, but it must be similiar.



Make sure that there are no new updates for Logic or Amplitube.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it might be something like that, that Amplitube only works on a track that is a software instrument.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From another forum, where someone is trying to get it to work with GarageBand:

Quote:
I have Amplitube and have no problem using it. There are 2 parts of Amplitube, a stand alone app and a plug-in version. When you installed Amplitube did it give you a choice of where to install the plug-in and what type of plug-in did you want to install? AU, VST etc. When you say I put "it" in the Audio?plugins etc folder...Did you put the application there or the plug-in? The plugin has a component. tag on it. See if Amplitube.component is is your Library/Audio/plugins/components. If it is then when opening GB open up a real instrument track. Double click on the track. Then goto the effects section and click on the first open area under compressor and a list of available AU plugins should be available. Select Amplitube and click on the pencil tool and you should be in business. All of the Amplitube effects and cabs should be there.


Quote:
My Amplitube Live disk installs into the apps folder along with the documentation. There is no plugin. The documentation doesn't mention how to launch AL. I can launch AL from the apps folder, configure the setup, and twirl all the knobs. I even got a light once on the output level lights with my vocal mic. But I can't seem to make it interact with GB at all.


Quote:
I got it. I had to go to IK's website and find a plugin called Amplitube LE. I have it running now, and have a bit more control over my harmonica sound than I did before. Thanks for your help.
Alan





Hmmm, are you using Amplitube or Amplitube LE, taylornutt?
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, now, this is odd.

I have three different things here. I have Ampitube 2, I have Amplitube Fender, and I have Ampeg SVX, all by IKmultimedia.

All three work with GarageBand as described above.

I have managed to get Amplitube Fender working with Logic, but not the other two.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BacchusPaul wrote:
Okay, now, this is odd.

I have three different things here. I have Ampitube 2, I have Amplitube Fender, and I have Ampeg SVX, all by IKmultimedia.

All three work with GarageBand as described above.

I have managed to get Amplitube Fender working with Logic, but not the other two.


At least we are making some progress. I wonder if it could be a permission issue.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Permissions seem to be the same for each of the three apps. I wonder if the installers installs them as VST's somewhere else.

Here's the info for each app:


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vivadeluxxe
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 1288
Location: Manchester

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BacchusPaul wrote:
Permissions seem to be the same for each of the three apps. I wonder if the installers installs them as VST's somewhere else.

I know a fair bit about Logic...
It doesn't use VST instruments, it uses something called Audio Units or AU, so when you're installing a stand alone software instrument like Amplitube you need to make sure you tick the AU option when installing (it normally gives you the options of installing AUs, VSTs and RTASs so if you don't change anything it will just install all three anyway)...
To check if you've got the Amplitube AU installed, go to Preferences > Audio Unit Manager and check the list (it should say successfully validated next to it)... if it's not there you'll have to re-install the AU...

If it is there, in order to use it, select an audio track, in the track inspector on the left hand side of the screen click on the 'inserts' tab and scroll to the bottom of the list, select 'audio units' and you should see it in there...
_________________
http://vivadeluxxe.bandcamp.com/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vivadeluxxe wrote:
BacchusPaul wrote:
Permissions seem to be the same for each of the three apps. I wonder if the installers installs them as VST's somewhere else.

I know a fair bit about Logic...
It doesn't use VST instruments, it uses something called Audio Units or AU, so when you're installing a stand alone software instrument like Amplitube you need to make sure you tick the AU option when installing (it normally gives you the options of installing AUs, VSTs and RTASs so if you don't change anything it will just install all three anyway)...
To check if you've got the Amplitube AU installed, go to Preferences > Audio Unit Manager and check the list (it should say successfully validated next to it)... if it's not there you'll have to re-install the AU...

If it is there, in order to use it, select an audio track, in the track inspector on the left hand side of the screen click on the 'inserts' tab and scroll to the bottom of the list, select 'audio units' and you should see it in there...


Thanks for the info. I have only used it in Garageband. I know Paul will appreciate it.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm only getting around to looking at this again now.

The list of Audio units has all three (Amplitube 2, Amplitube Fender, and Ampeg), but only the Fender one has a tick beside it.

I've rescanned, and the Ampeg and Amplitube 2 have failed validation. giving the reason as

ERROR: output buffer size does not match requested num frames.

Hrmmm. Think I'll have a google.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 18868
Location: wandering

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found interesting threads on this. It's a common problem.

http://www.logicprohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=26110&highlight=&sid=6178eb50ce2d9a4e81d3598dfec9eb26

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1539182&start=15&tstart=0

I've ticked the box in the AU manager anyway, so I can use these units. I'll report back on stability issues from doing this after I've played with them for a while.

Thanks for your help, folks.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 595351 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!