ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Plugins...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:05 am    Post subject: Plugins... Reply with quote

over to the dark side. I am going.

I need a bundle of plugins to use for mixing. Nothing fancy or weird. I want some replications of gear that is actually used in real life and sees real results.

I was looking at this ..

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/GoldNat/

and this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EveryEQCompNat/

but maybe there is something cooler someone can point me in the direction of? I like the gold pack because of some of the maybe useful doubling, deessing, and verbs... but the URL pack might have better sounding eq and comps

I also need a good guitar and bass amp modeling plugin... I am looking at guitar rig. bueller?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aeon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of these plugins have free trial versions.

Give Guitar Rig and Amplitube a try for amp modeling. For doing scratch takes, they are great.

IK Multimedia has a great reverb pack, but it is pricey. (At least if you get it legitimately...)
Johno

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use pod farm, very happy. Has loads of amp & effect sims for guitar & bass plus some stuff for vocals.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plugz
The Waves plugins are used all over the fucking place, but personally I didn't really like them when I used them. Everything I use now is free or nagware.

Amp Simulation
I use a lot of free stuff for guitar amp simulation. My favorite preamp is Wagner Sharp and Wagner Sharp II. I use those with Voxengo Boogex and load my own speaker impulses - which are from the power section of my Laney GH100TI Tony Iommi amp and wgs veteran 30's.

Download the free trial of Peavey's Revalver, I really liked it. You can also load your own impulses in it if you want to.
lank81

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not much of a fan of amp simulation but a very good plugin for mixing / mastering is Izotope Ozone. It's only 250$ and if you got a teacher in the family it's only 125$. Can't go wrong with that price for a nice set of plugins. Check it out as it is definitely worth while. I'd go to gearslutz.com and check out some threads on there as there are a ton of engineers with their own tastes but some give great reviews of their setups.
toez10

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

digital fishphones has some of the best free plugins for mixing. digitalfishphones.com
Al_

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soundtoys apparently has some cool new plugins and a free 45 day demo or something like that. A buddy of mine has been using them and speaks real highly of them. I still have yet to check them out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: