ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

How much should one pay for a '65 Refinished Duo II?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I'd give up just yet... He was asking way too much for that guitar. You should be able to find a nice one in original condition for well under a grand, or a beater in that $600 range w/ the 24" scale. They have been popping up pretty regularly.
glitchathon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i will definitely keep an eye out. I made an offer to that seller but he would not budge at $1200. I just wish he had put in big letters on his auction: "I have no intention of selling this guitar." so that he wouldn't have wasted everyone's time. Very Happy
Dice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'd forget about that guy.

Send him a link to this thread. Wink
glitchathon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dice wrote:
Yeah, I'd forget about that guy.

Send him a link to this thread. Wink

hehe i almost wanted to do that. Looks like he relisted it.

I am now even more interested in this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260564794765&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1182

Love the way the white finish on these age. I'd have someone route it for me for a bridge pickup and buy a Mustang pickguard for it.

Musicmaster prices are something I have never had a good handle on. I have seen them go from $400 up to $1200. Does the year make a big difference in price for these?
Dice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Year makes quite the difference. '64-67 w/ the 24" scale are generally the most expensive era for the student models, Mustangs aside. Hands down, these are the best quality - if my opinion can be trusted. The Competition Mustangs get the most $$ lately - they were made from '68-72 IIRC... they have the first of the Poly finishes - and objectively should not be worth more than the pre '68 versions... but, for some reason, the collectors love them.

That white '74 - I put $225 on it in the off chance it went unnoticed. I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it - $400-450 would be a fair price range I think. It has a poly finish, which on whole is a negative for me, but it looks like that one has "the mojo." OHSC as well.

It'd be sad to see it routed, but I'm in the minority there, apparently. I don't know what year the MusicMasters quit having a bridge pickup route, but I know that they did have them well in to the late 60s. If that were the case, no routing would be required...

I much prefer the '64-67 models, but that '74 would be a fun guitar, without a doubt.
glitchathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the insight. i am still trying to get a feel for fair prices. yea ideally i'd get a late 60's MM that is already routed. If I do route a later MM, I will try to get it done cleanly. Would hate to butcher a vintage instrument!

A Bronco I would leave alone but I'd have a hard time enjoying a neck-only guitar.
glitchathon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as reference, here is a fantastic daphne blue '66 that just sold for $920
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200445731375&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1089

This is a much more desirable guitar than the other one, too. I seriously considered bidding on it towards the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: