ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

My Jaguar kinda back to stock, kinda not
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom, how do you like the Mustang bridge over the stock on there? The bridge on the Jag is the one thing that has been a constant source of frustration for me.

I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:
Thom, how do you like the Mustang bridge over the stock on there? The bridge on the Jag is the one thing that has been a constant source of frustration for me.

Well, I like it a whole lot more than the stock Jag bridge.
It was one the first things that I changed on the guitar as I couldn't get on with knocking the strings out of the grooves on the original.
To be fair I didn't really give it a chance or know as much about jags as I do now, so after a year or so I put the stock bridge back on. And again, string popping was happening more often - filed a groove, problem solved. Then the grub screws started working loose and rattling - annong as hell.
I know that it's an easy fix with some loctite, but I thought to myself am I gaining anything by using the stock bridge?
And the answer for me was no - I was happy with the saddle height of the Mustang bridge so the adjustable invidual saddles didn't offer any improvement. I'll not put the stock bridge back on over the Mustang again.
Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:
Pens wrote:

Well, I like it a whole lot more than the stock Jag bridge.
It was one the first things that I changed on the guitar as I couldn't get on with knocking the strings out of the grooves on the original.
To be fair I didn't really give it a chance or know as much about jags as I do now, so after a year or so I put the stock bridge back on. And again, string popping was happening more often - filed a groove, problem solved. Then the grub screws started working loose and rattling - annong as hell.
I know that it's an easy fix with some loctite, but I thought to myself am I gaining anything by using the stock bridge?
And the answer for me was no - I was happy with the saddle height of the Mustang bridge so the adjustable invidual saddles didn't offer any improvement. I'll not put the stock bridge back on over the Mustang again.

Word. The Jag bridge, despite using 11's on it and filing a very deep groove in the saddle, my low E still pops out often during shows and what not. Sure, okay I'm "heavy handed" sometimes, but it's how you get that midwest-indie chunk out of a riff, by really digging in and making your strums heavy.

It's annoying as hell to have the low E go out of tune in middle of a song. I'm really considering getting a Mustang bridge but had heard it rattled more. Thanks for the report.

I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:
I'm really considering getting a Mustang bridge but had heard it rattled more.

Honestly not sure how it could rattle more. If being REALLY heavy handed - it's still possible to pop the E sting out on the Mustang bridge - just a lot less than the stock. The only real way I found to stop it entirely is a buzz-stop, though that in itself brings its own compromises.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:

try to find one without the gaps between the saddles.

Thom
lamp

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
Pens wrote:

try to find one without the gaps between the saddles.

Good point - does make a difference.
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:
Sure, okay I'm "heavy handed" sometimes, but it's how you get that midwest-indie chunk out of a riff, by really digging in and making your strums heavy.

lel @ midwest-indie chunk.

my gapless mustang bridge on my jag is a real peach. do recommend.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: