ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Maybe some useful rewiring for Jag HH owners

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shaguar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:46 pm    Post subject: Maybe some useful rewiring for Jag HH owners Reply with quote

Tonight I decided that I never use or probably was never going to use the treble/mid/bass/whatever cut switch on the Jag HH. I rewired the switch so it now acts as a coil splitter. So now when the switch is up, the pups are in single coil, and when it's down they are in humbucker mode. Now, this wont work with the stock pickups, as they are only 2-wire. You need 4-wire aftermarket pickups for this to work. I bought my Jag second hand with Duncan Distortions already installed. This is also assuming that the switches in anyone else's Jag are all DPDT 6 lug types.

It's really simple to do. In my case I had an extra switch on hand, so I chose to simply remove the stock one with the cap still soldered to it. Here are the steps to do this mod:

1) If you are using the stock switch, remove the filtering cap.
2) Cut the wire that runs through the center lugs so that the switch is no longer tied to the pickup selectors.
3) Unsolder the blue wire from the switch and solder it to the center lug on the bridge pup selector closest to the jack-plate.
4) Solder a new piece of wire from the center lugs of the former bass cut switch to the ground lug below the bridge selector switch.
5) locate the coil tie wires from your pickups. If you have Seymour Duncans, you are looking fro the red and white, if you have diMarzios, the green and red wires. Remove any tape/heat shrink that may be on them. The neck's wires were under the rythm circuit plate. You'll need to add a length of wire from the coil ties to reach the lower switch plate. Route this wire with the orange wire going to the neck pickup selector.
6) Take your newly added length of wire from the neck pickup wire and solder to the side of the switch where you will want the switches position to be in when you activate the coil split. I chose up for split mode and down for regular humbucking mode. So in my case I soldered this wire to one of the upper lugs. Locate the bridge coil tie wire and solder it to the other upper lug on the switch. You still need to keep the coil ties soldered together for this to work.
7) Make sure you havent broken or burned through any other wires, and put everything back together, and test it out.

To illustrate:

The red wire is the new wire from the coil tie coming from under the rythm circuit plate. The white/red is the bridge coil tie. The center lugs are tied to ground. I hope this helps others who were thinking of doing something similar. FYI, I did it this way because A) I dont use the filter switch and B) I didnt feel like ordering a push pull 1meg pot. I also did it this way because I didnt want to drill a hole in the pg or jack plate for an extra switch. Also I kind of like the rythm circuit so I didnt want to the CP HH coil tap thing.

BTW, I understand now why people rewire their japanese Jags/Mustangs because they do use cheap thin shitty wire on these things.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice. i've got p90's in my hh jag, but i've often thought maybe there could be some other task for that third switch on the lead circuit. maybe putting the pickups into series?

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
Shaguar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played with this mod a little more and I must say, the rythm circuit needs a single coil. The HB on the rythm circuit just makes it sound mushy and not well defined. I'm actually very glad I did this.

I dont know what at SC or P90 only version could do with the third switch. In/Out of phase maybe?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: