ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

getting a (69 RI) 'Stang

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: getting a (69 RI) 'Stang Reply with quote

So, recently, I've been looking around for a 2nd guitar. I only own one and would like to use my tele for different tunings. I've been looking around for mainly Jags or a Tele with humbuckers but recently I got the opportunity to play the first Fender and the first shortscale I ever played. It is a good friend of mines who is playing drums now and really just needs the cash. I've offered him up to $600 for it before with no luck.

But now, he needs money and he is going to let it go (needs a new nut) for $475. I have a couple of questions.

One: It is black. I can't find much info on these guitars because I suck at using the search, I guess. I didn't know they ever had a black RI Mustang. If I remember correctly, it has a pearl pickguard but I could be wrong.

Two: Is this a fair price considering it has a broken nut? I think it is, I don't want screw him over; he is a friend, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't getting screwed too.

Three: I came up empty handed looking for a new nut for it. Where is the best/cheapest place to find one that will work? I haven't done any nut work before, so I'm a pretty big n00b.

follow me . . . . you won't
DanHeron

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the japanese market the 69RI comes in black, with a black pg. link.. there is also a 77RI which is black, with maple neck. I havn't seen any of those available outside of japan though.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I also noticed when I looked at that there wasn't a serial on the heel of the neck like normal.

this is probably a pretty old RI. I don't know when they started the 69 RIs but I would imagine this is an older one.

serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

either way the price is good.
goldengurls

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a ton of these and never seen one without the stamp, I have seen tele's from 85 and 86 without the stamp but I don't remember ever seeing a mustang one that old.
From the fender mustang story page:
Reissue '69 Mustangs -- Fender "Collectibles"

Fender Japan started manufacturing the '69 Reissue Mustangs sometime in the late '80s to the early '90s as part of their "collectibles" series. These Mustangs have the 24" Long Scale with "A" neck width. Two colors - Vintage White and Sonic Blue - were offered with the correct trimming - well sort of - for the White one. Because of that, all the pieces were the wrong color for the Blue one. Besides, the Blue one isn't even the right color for vintage Mustangs. As of March 2000, these Mustangs are still made and are available in Japan. e. Reissue Competition Mustangs were also offered for the Japanese market only. These guitars have the "Made In Japan" decal on the back of the neck just above the body joint so it's easy to distinguish from the "real" ones.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. It is very interesting.

I'm really excited but it is going to be like . . . two weeks before I can make the trip to KC to get it. Ahhhh pure torture.

Shaguar

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if that incorrect blue one they are talking about in golden's post is the one with the colour listed as CBL on Ishibashi's website?

kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought the MIJ ones were the older ones, CIJ the newer, so mustangs to be sold in japan only are always MIJ even now? or not ? eitherway, if you really have your mind set on a mustang wether it's japan only or export you can always get hold of them outside japan.
haven't seen many japanese mustangs in black though, ..actually i think i haven't ever seen a black RI mustang irl only vintage.

post pics !

www.myspace.com/heavium
i dunketh MC's like a crumpet in my tea
James
Nutmeg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaguar wrote:
Does anyone know if that incorrect blue one they are talking about in golden's post is the one with the colour listed as CBL on Ishibashi's website?

He almost certainly means that they RI ones come in Sonic Blue rather than Daphne. I think Fender might call it daphne blue but it looks more like sonic.
California Blue is a more recent and relatively rare colour as it's Japan only.
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65 RI = daphne blue

69RI = sonic blue

i don't feel the daphne looks like sonic blue not the ones i saw but also not like 'real' daphne blue' but maybe because of aging on the older guitars you sort of have no real idea of wtf daphne blue or sonic blue really is just that there's a difference but US made stangs..they come in daphne right ? is the blue different from japanese daphne blue stangs ?

www.myspace.com/heavium
kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

65RI CBL

http://www.ishibashi-webshop.jp/shop/goods/search.aspx

65RI DBL

69RI SBL

in those pics it's almost like sonic blue looks like daphne and daphne is more sonic ? more greenish blue ? weird. maybe it's the pictures

www.myspace.com/heavium
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kim wrote:
i thought the MIJ ones were the older ones, CIJ the newer, so mustangs to be sold in japan only are always MIJ even now? or not ? eitherway, if you really have your mind set on a mustang wether it's japan only or export you can always get hold of them outside japan.
haven't seen many japanese mustangs in black though, ..actually i think i haven't ever seen a black RI mustang irl only vintage.

post pics !

Well, with the basses, MIJ used to be older then they switched to CIJ, then they started mixing the two. Some said that they came from different luthiers and would swear the CIJ played better (there rumors could never be confirmed) but they have switched back to MIJ on all of there basses (errr, well most) recently. I'm pretty sure it is the same story with guitars but I'm probably about to be corrected by someone smarter than me.

I've never seen a black RI which is why I'm so curious. I figured if anybody would know, it would be ss.org

MaMo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

portugalwillie wrote:

I've never seen a black RI which is why I'm so curious. I figured if anybody would know, it would be ss.org

Well, I have a parts stang that has a black 69 reissue body...

other parts - 65 reissue neck
little 59'er in bridge
GFS black lipstick tube in neck
vintage style reissue F tuners

RUN AMOK!.
astro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender only ever released the '69 mustang RI's in vintage white, sonic blue, yellow white, competition red and competition blue for export outside of Japan (although for some reason when they switched from offering vintage white for yellow white, they still advertised the latter as "vintage white" despite it being clearly a different colour). It's worth going to the Fender Japan website just to look at all the other colours that are offered in Japan for the 69 RI. There must be at least six or seven different competition colour schemes, plus another half dozen solid colours, plus sunburst. Plus there are all sorts of colours that were released over there that are currenly discontinued. They've probably offered this model in every classic Fender colour that exists, and many unique colours as well.

I really don't understand why Fender USA always wants to limit the colour choice on Japanese export models (and their own USA/Mexican models, for that matter). One of the classic attributes of Fender guitars is all the cool colour choices that were available back in the day, so why Fender would choose limit those now makes no sense to me.

In my experience, the sonic blue on the Japanese Fender's that I've seen has a tendency to yellow, giving them a nice slightly bluish shade of surf green. I really wanted a sonic blue model when I was seeking out a mustang, but the yellow white has grown on me. It looks like the cream colour that the late 70's olympic white usually yellows into.
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the black 69 RI was intended only for Japan?

It is on a site offering Mustangs in Japan but it has never been offered as mass produced guitar in America. I think that is the case for this guitar.

kim
[=''=]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah probably so. just because the 'export' ones are limited doesn't mean if you've got your mind set on another color you can't get hold of those

www.myspace.com/heavium
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: