ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Chika-chicka-chika

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:50 am    Post subject: Chika-chicka-chika Reply with quote

While working on an album worth of tunes Cindi and I are tracking right now, I actually found a place for a tone I've always wanted to use: The chicka chicka chickas from Peter Shilling's Major Tom. I want it to be more percussive than tonal, and am having a hard time right now.

The closest I've been able to get is to set the VOX Tonelab for Blackface head into 1x12 cab mod, with moderate compression on the input signal plus a wobbly chorus effect, all into the SPL Channel1 with a tad more compression. Got the treble and presence(air band) knobs dimed and have rolled off enough mids and bass to keep the actual pitch but emphasize las chickas. Mid-gain settings seem to improve the upper frequency response, mid pickup position on Jazzmaster soundng better than the bridge position. The brief chords heard sound very much like a strat(mid position?) to my ears, but can't be sure.

Long story longer, I can't get that high pitched "click" like the original tune, just an annoying muted guitar sound with a squirt of chorus sauce. Anyone given this sound a stab before?

Link
Mages
súper crujiente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

errr..... slow phaser? recorded direct?

the more I listen to it though, I don't think it is actually that complicated. I think it's hard to say what guitar it is (probably bridge pickup though), but I think it is being played through a more midrangey amp. so... probably not a fender twin.
blacktaxi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's some kind of overdrive with tone knob set to treble, then into an almost dry flanger.
Ian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wah pedal engaged
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mages
súper crujiente

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blacktaxi wrote:
I'd say it's some kind of overdrive with tone knob set to treble, then into an almost dry flanger.

yeah, whether or not if this is how the guy is doing it in the song, this is how I would do it if I were going to record a song like this.

the guy who played guitar on this track was a guy named Armin Sabol. It's hard to know what gear he would have been using at the time but reading about him he seems like a real metal dude and seems to favor gibsons. he has a studio here: http://www.shivasound.de/
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the ideas, guys.

After a number of attempts, I actually sounded the best picking the bass line in 8th notes to maintain a tone line, getting sufficient chickas playing while muting the Jazzo about 1.5" from the bridge with a brightly filtered/OD'd/chorused setting. Then I chopped about 1/3 off of the tail of each soundbite, and looped 2 measures' worth. May not post results until the whole thing is done, but I'm fairly satisfied with the effect.
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to say this involves a single coil guitar, maybe a strat in one of the inbetween pickup modes.
paul_

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sloan wrote:
I want to say this involves a single coil guitar, maybe a strat in one of the inbetween pickup modes.

I would definitely start there, bridge+middle position. That'll give you heaps more click immediately.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like a engaged wah pedal to me too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: