ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Cheap stacked humbuckers for Jazz Bass?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Cheap stacked humbuckers for Jazz Bass? Reply with quote

Does anyone know of something decent in this area? My bassist scooped up a super cheap Fender Jazz bass, I did some fixing up on it but I cannot get the horrible hum to go away. Searched for single-size humbuckers and the cheapest I found was $100 for a pair of Duncans. Anyone have any other recommendations? KEY WORD: CHEAP.

I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check the ground from pickup to teh bridge?

protip: CHEAP
Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. There's a wire coming from the bridge, and wires coming from each pup. I even undid them from the three different solder points (WTF?? GROUND LOOPS!) and bundled all three ground wires together, and soldered them to a single point. The hum got better but it's still just the classic single coil hum. It does not "get quieter" when touching the strings which would indicate that there was a ground wire break.

I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
paul_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wired the '60s style pickup/bridge covers to the ground on mine for now. A pickup upgrade is on the slate, though.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html
Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-JB-Pro-Jazz-Bass-Style-Alnico-Pickups_p_318.html

Yeah dude I saw those but they aren't humcancelling. The biggest problem with this here bass is the hum.

hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pickups in a strat aren't humbucking until you put the switch in position 2 & 4 either...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-String-Sealed-Humbucker-Pickups-Fender-Jazz-Bass-/190608529458

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Humbucker-Jazz-Bass-Neck-Bridge-Pickup-Set-/160690203444

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-String-Open-Humbucker-Pickups-Fender-Jazz-Bass-/250844066936

you get what you pay for, though.
cur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the pickguard shielded? Try some tinfoil on it if not.

Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cur wrote:

I have some copper tape, I thought of that, but then only one pickup is under a guard on the Jazz bass, other other is just in the body.

Hotrod, yeah dude I thought of that but on a Jazz Bass both pickups are always on, and they often still have shit loads of hum. A strat gets the hum cancel because the mid pickup is reverse wound. I'd be all down for going with the GFS if it said the pair were reverse wound from each other, but it doesn't, and I don't wanna waste the monies just to find out that they don't hum cancel each other.

Which was why I was asking to see if anyone else has done this before.

Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
the pickups in a strat aren't humbucking until you put the switch in position 2 & 4 either...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-String-Sealed-Humbucker-Pickups-Fender-Jazz-Bass-/190608529458

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Open-Humbucker-Jazz-Bass-Neck-Bridge-Pickup-Set-/160690203444

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-String-Open-Humbucker-Pickups-Fender-Jazz-Bass-/250844066936

you get what you pay for, though.

Hmmm. Thanks for these links. Those resistances look really low to me, though. I'll pass this by the bassist and see what he thinks about going this route. Thanks dude.

cur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:
cur wrote:

I have some copper tape, I thought of that, but then only one pickup is under a guard on the Jazz bass, other other is just in the body.

When I did my aria build I shielded the cavity and grounded everything. Put it together and it had the worst hum I have ever heard. I could trace my finger on top of the pickguard and would make all sorts of weird hum noise. Foiled it up like old time hockey and it totally went away. Just a thought.

Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cur wrote:
Pens wrote:
cur wrote:

When I did my aria build I shielded the cavity and grounded everything. Put it together and it had the worst hum I have ever heard. I could trace my finger on top of the pickguard and would make all sorts of weird hum noise. Foiled it up like old time hockey and it totally went away. Just a thought.

So, are you saying to cover everything with the copper tape?

Ankhanu

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the hum an issue when playing? If not, ignore it Razz. Rolling back the tone between songs should kill the hum; roll back up when you're ready to rock. This is what I do with my Jazz and Jazz-pickuped 5er.

Donate to Ankhanu Press
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens wrote:
cur wrote:
Pens wrote:
cur wrote:

So, are you saying to cover everything with the copper tape?

That fixed my problem. You can try some cheap foil and make sure it touches something that goes to ground and see what happens. then if that helps use the copper tape.

Pens
less dickface

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eh, might as well try. I bought a big roll of copper tape to shield my Musicmaster build but there's so little that actually needed to be covered that I have a ton left over.

Ank, yeah it's just when playing stops really. Rolling tone down nixes most of it. Sounds annoying to me, that's why I installed hum-cancelling pups in every guitar I actively play now. This is for my bassist, I need to cut and install a new nut in it anyway, I'll go ahead and give it the copper treatment and see if that clears it.

Cur, what about the bridge pup, how do you shield that one? The one that just sits in the body without having a pickguard?

serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pens, try shielding the route with some of your copper tape.

i use aluminium car body tape to shield my guitars.
cur

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

serfx wrote:
Pens, try shielding the route with some of your copper tape.

i use aluminium car body tape to shield my guitars.

Just do it all. See if it helps.

honeyiscool

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I actually liked the sound of both Jazz pickups on, I would say that you don't need noiseless, but I don't.

That said, I love the sound of both Jazz pickups in series. I like to wire my Jazz Bass type basses as humbuckers with the bridge +, bridge - and neck + together to make a Spin-a-Split, and then neck - as the ground. This gives you a very full, loud sound as your default, which you can dial back with the Spin-a-Split to have bridge only. You lose neck only but I always thought that a neck only on Jazz Bass is a poor man's P-Bass anyway, so this isn't a problem for me.

If you want real noiseless Jazz pickups, I don't know of any that are actually cheaper than $100 a set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: