ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

New Gibson Modern XI...oh what the frack!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: New Gibson Modern XI...oh what the frack! Reply with quote

Mahogany body? Weird headstock? Sure glad I didn't preorder one

SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem you have with that guitar is the head stock and the wood the body is made out of?

follow me . . . . you won't
westtexasred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKC Willie wrote:
the problem you have with that guitar is the head stock and the wood the body is made out of?

Sure,it's supposed to be a reissue.Everybody who pre-ordered one was expecting it to look like this.

Last edited by westtexasred on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKC Willie wrote:

lulz
westtexasred

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hotrodperlmutter wrote:
SKC Willie wrote:

lulz

Hidden: 
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, i don't mind it.
i suppose i'd prefer the old headstock.
as far as wood goes, i don't really care much
i would prefer chrome hardware

Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Mages
súper crujiente

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the original headstock is one of the worst headstock designs in the history of guitars. it's as dysfunctional as it is ugly. anything would be massive improvement over the original. this guitar looks fine to me. maybe the best of all the moderne variations we've seen over the years.
paul_

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mages wrote:
the original headstock is one of the worst headstock designs in the history of guitars. it's as dysfunctional as it is ugly. anything would be massive improvement over the original. this guitar looks fine to me. maybe the best of all the moderne variations we've seen over the years.

This.

I can see why people would prefer they had a Korina body like the originals, but I think Vees and Explorers make enough of a case for a mahogany version.

The old headstock was worthless in every respect... they used the Futura headstock here so the guitar would stay remotely in tune, I imagine.

Anyone who preordered one is a damn fool anyway... why drop that much scratch on something before it's built? It's GIBSON. Forgetting the Alex Lifeson disaster already?

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one ugly thread.

follow me . . . . you won't
Sloan
Sexy Predator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
korina wood, a trademarked name for limba, a wood similar to but lighter in color than mahogany

BillClay

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Forgetting the Alex Lifeson disaster already?

What's this all about?
paul_

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillClay wrote:
paul_ wrote:

What's this all about?

There was an infamous Gibson forum thread regarding a limited run of 300 Alex Lifeson signature ES-355s in 2008 (AL-001 - AL-300).
After preorders were taken there were numerous delays, the date was pushed back a few times over a couple months, Gibson gave no answers on when it would ship and no reason for the delay... a rep/admin wouldn't address it with any real detail until eventually saying "all the guitars are going to be built out pretty rapidly, so don't panic if they hit GC before you guys" ... when the guitars did eventually ship they had everything from basic design issues (volute placed behind middle of first fret) to shoddy QC (glue drips, uneven binding, many instances of high woodchip/sawdust content in the cases' interiors). It was also deduced by many that apart from the [misplaced] volute they were just run-of-the-mill modern 335 guitars without the specs of the original they claimed to replicate (different body shape and neck profile). Gibson removed "VOS" from the guitar's official web description AFTER this was said on the forum.

After someone stating that the AL threads were "depressing" because of all the complaints about Gibson's service/QC surrounding such an expensive custom shop instrument, the usually-mum Gibson rep replied "no kidding. Maybe we should all get off the internet and play guitar." When someone later described the guitar as "defective" he replied "The guitar is not defective." And when countered with the fact that many had complained of issues with the finish/binding/electronics/hardware he said "and most of those issues would be covered under warranty if people actually wanted them addressed."

The guitars cost around $4000. The nicest posts about them generally go along the lines of "I'm happy with mine... I don't play much on the first fret anyway."

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/1423-alex-lifeson-es-355/

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
ekwatts
A series of tubes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
BillClay wrote:
paul_ wrote:

What's this all about?

There was an infamous Gibson forum thread regarding a limited run of 300 Alex Lifeson signature ES-355s in 2008 (AL-001 - AL-300).
After preorders were taken there were numerous delays, the date was pushed back a few times over a couple months, Gibson gave no answers on when it would ship and no reason for the delay... a rep/admin wouldn't address it with any real detail until eventually saying "all the guitars are going to be built out pretty rapidly, so don't panic if they hit GC before you guys" ... when the guitars did eventually ship they had everything from basic design issues (volute placed behind middle of first fret) to shoddy QC (glue drips, uneven binding, many instances of high woodchip/sawdust content in the cases' interiors). It was also deduced by many that apart from the [misplaced] volute they were just run-of-the-mill modern 335 guitars without the specs of the original they claimed to replicate (different body shape and neck profile). Gibson removed "VOS" from the guitar's official web description AFTER this was said on the forum.

After someone stating that the AL threads were "depressing" because of all the complaints about Gibson's service/QC surrounding such an expensive custom shop instrument, the usually-mum Gibson rep replied "no kidding. Maybe we should all get off the internet and play guitar." When someone later described the guitar as "defective" he replied "The guitar is not defective." And when countered with the fact that many had complained of issues with the finish/binding/electronics/hardware he said "and most of those issues would be covered under warranty if people actually wanted them addressed."

The guitars cost around $4000. The nicest posts about them generally go along the lines of "I'm happy with mine... I don't play much on the first fret anyway."

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/1423-alex-lifeson-es-355/

What a fucking joke.

Brandon W wrote:
you elites.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap.. I mean, you can kinda understand some QA oversights (still inexcusable for the price point), but to design a neck that is so flawed is fucking mental.

Unless it was some kind of machining error? Still ridiculous, though.

Hidden: 

LAHLZ

littlericky

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose Gibson assumed they'd be bought by lawyers and doctors and never played much
gypsyseven

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKC Willie wrote:
this is one ugly thread.

+1

Next week: where does my room go when I turn off the lights?
JJLipton

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would argue that nearly all gibson necks have somewhat of a design flaw given their track record with breakage.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlericky wrote:
I suppose Gibson assumed they'd be bought by lawyers and doctors and never played much

"Features bulkier headstock joint for centuries of vacuous, wall-based display!"
westtexasred

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Moderne XI looks like one of the replica's built by Glen Miller:

"Luthier Glen Miller (no relation to the late swing bandleader) manufactures Moderne, Explorer, and Flying V replicas at Wrona’s House of Violins in Lewiston, NY. Miller began performing repairs shortly after getting his first guitar in 1970, and learned his trade in the shop of the late vintage guitar dealer Dan Hairfield. In 2003, Miller found a source for original Gibson parts.

“I had been searching for a Moderne and came across a listing for some supposed original Moderne parts,” he says. “I contacted the seller, who had been a Gibson subcontractor and was fortunate enough to have attended the auction [when they closed up] the Kalamazoo factory in 1984. He purchased many bodies, necks and other hardware, but then put the parts in his storage area and forgot about them. I made a deal for most of the stuff he had, including original ‘82 Moderne bodies and necks, plus ten Gibson logos.”

Glen Miller and Ray Davies

dkoor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XI is non attractive guitar for me Sad .

But about Alex Lifeson issue... unbelievable, like some of you guys said - a joke Shocked .
Only - a bit expensive joke.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: