ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Vintage Gibson Sonex
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, you’ll hurt it’s feelings. I just got a new bridge for it too!

The neck looks straight enough:

Hidden: 

The old bridge was corroded as hell, looks like a nickel finish over a zinc alloy, metric Japanese hardware, the necks and parts for these were done in Japan then assembled in the USA.

Hidden: 

Next thing is a new jack socket, I have to give it a clean pretty regularly and it’s not feeling very tight. I wouldn’t take it on a stage with the risk of it cutting in and out under a bit of pressure. Notice one of the knobs doesn’t seem to be original, the numbers have stayed a crisp shade of white.

Hidden: 
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks lovely!

I love mine. It plays/sounds great. The neck is straight on mine but it has the Sonex neck gap at one side. Similar to quite a few 60s Fenders I’ve played.

I would post a pic bit it’s not working for me on phonescale. It has different knobs on it now. I actually have another one of these apart from the neck.

[img]http://imgur.com/gallery/WZPy0CO[/img]
dub

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah there’s a gap on the horn side of mine too.

What pickups you have in there?

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for updating that. It works on the computer just not on IOS...

Its a humbucker sized P90 I had kicking about (Vanson or something, same as Wilkinson etc) and a Tonerider TRH1 Rocksong PAF (overwound alnico II) thing wired up to the coil split. Looks like this now:

Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The body/neck issues with the Sonex is due to the body being made of a wood core surrounded by a weird resin type material. Apparently they tested it in really hot and cold environments and alleged it was super stable. The upshot of that is over time a lot of these have cracks at the end of the neck pocket due to shrinkage over time. Its supposed to improve susatain too. the old ad had a graph and everything so it must be true LOL.

You can see the layers in the second photo below.

For the money they're great. I only out about £300 all in and for that I got this guitar upgraded plus a whole other guitar sans neck. I've been on the lookout for an Epiphone bolt on neck to try with it. Tho the necks on these are actually way better.

Hidden: 

westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is at Guitar Center for $499 including case

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Gibson/Vintage-1983-SONEX-180-Solid-Body-Electric-Guitar-116217459.gc

Thomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow missed this post. That looks cool as balls and it’s not too crazy a price.

I’m other news after receiving a neck for this earlier this week I had a wee look through my parts and discovered that apart from 2 pickup screws/springs I have everything I need to build the other one of these. The pickups I’m trying are a set of 80s muza hummers (Polish brand that are supposed to be pretty good. Interestingly they are resin dipped like the Marauder pickups. If I don’t like them I have a set of standard HBs I can stick in there.

I was originally going to use this body for the proper project above but somewhat ironically the neck didn’t match up correctly with this body. So now I think I might try that again as that body is in way better condition. Plus I have to paint the guitar and neck to match (Epi neck is red) and the other one has worn through the paint in parts.

I dunno what colour to go for. Any suggestions?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2