ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NGD: 1966 Fender Coronado II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Gabriel
.
.


Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 3141
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy3000 wrote:
Damn that's a gorgeous guitar!


I'm totally jealous, a Coronado is probably my favourite Fender. One day...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice. strange you find it has a low output, mine is louder than my duo-sonic and jaguar.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Coronado seems pretty loud as well. Definitely more output than my Mustang.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cobascis
.
.


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3830
Location: Mendocino, CA

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Took the tail piece off and saw where it is supposed to be grounded, but when I touch the wire, it does not ground. Which sadly means that the other end of the wire isn't connected to anything. I'm going to take it into to have it worked on since there is no way I can fish around to find the wire, let alone solder it.

Polishing this thing up.. it is really a museum piece. In better shape than many of my 90s guitars.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there something about the US electrical system that makes guitars hum more? All of mine do it a bit unless you touch the strings, but it's barely noticeable. Would different mains voltages trigger different responses? I should know but I don't.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cobascis
.
.


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3830
Location: Mendocino, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hum isn't that bad, but its annoying when I touch the pickups and it sort of flickrs the buzz, when the strings should really be grounded.
_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3216
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewart wrote:
very nice. strange you find it has a low output, mine is louder than my duo-sonic and jaguar.


Same here...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
George
.
.


Joined: 03 Jul 2009
Posts: 20370
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a difference between pickup output and overall volume though.

My strat has pickups with nigh on 20% lower output than my tele's but it's still a much louder guitar. All sorts of things may contribute - I think the strat's chunkier neck and steel bridge block in my case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cobascis
.
.


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3830
Location: Mendocino, CA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote






_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh


Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 16657
Location: KCMO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how I missed this. So nice. Congrats, Garrett.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stewart
Cunning Linguist


Joined: 14 Jul 2008
Posts: 17625
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the back of that neck looks delicious. not that i'd want to put it on my mouth or anything.
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
cobascis
.
.


Joined: 21 Jun 2008
Posts: 3830
Location: Mendocino, CA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THe pictures don't really show it, but the neck has no lacquer on it for all of the playing areas. It's been played since it was bought out of "Darrells Music, BUrlington VT, sometime circa '67.



And I brought it back to how it looked brand new


_________________
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh


Joined: 04 Apr 2009
Posts: 16657
Location: KCMO

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So fine
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gabriel
.
.


Joined: 11 Apr 2010
Posts: 3141
Location: NYC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh that it really lovely. Guitars are just so much better if they have air in them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3216
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed something different on my Coronado compared to everyone else's. On mine there is no plate underneath the strap button at the neck. It doesn't look like there was ever anything attached there tho.

I wonder if it was removed at some point or if it wasn't on there. If it was removed it must've been a looong time ago as there's no trace of the plate at all. No tan line on the binding or anything.

Having spent all yesterday playing the Coronado I, I think I've got ultimate GAS for a II. I normally only use the bridge pup for dirt but if the bridge pickup is anything like the neck pup.... My god. The price of these seems to be going in the right direction for buying again. If I get the chance to buy one when I've got the money it'll be a no-brainer,
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
I've noticed something different on my Coronado compared to everyone else's. On mine there is no plate underneath the strap button at the neck. It doesn't look like there was ever anything attached there tho.

I wonder if it was removed at some point or if it wasn't on there. If it was removed it must've been a looong time ago as there's no trace of the plate at all. No tan line on the binding or anything.

Having spent all yesterday playing the Coronado I, I think I've got ultimate GAS for a II. I normally only use the bridge pup for dirt but if the bridge pickup is anything like the neck pup.... My god. The price of these seems to be going in the right direction for buying again. If I get the chance to buy one when I've got the money it'll be a no-brainer,


The prices have been going down on the non-museum/collector Coronados II. I got mine for $800+tax and it is in well played condition. I still need to buy a replacement trem arm. At the Guitar Show in May, the cheapest one I saw was an Antigua one for $1700 and a LPB one for $4000. I wish I could have bought the Antigua one. But there have been several Shorscalers finding great deals on them lately.

There is one on my CL for $1350. Its a 1967 Coronado II. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/msg/3170082034.html

What seems funny is how many 1966-67 Coronado IIs that keep showing up. I am not seeing a lot of other year models.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3216
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the custom colour/museum quality guitars that are expensive get relisted, they don't seem to be selling for that much. Most of the auction (rather than BIN) end way under that. I was watching THIS Coro 2 recently and it went for the usual 750.

In the UK ebay if you search completed listings most of the hits you get for the coronado are ones that didn't sell with high BIN prices. There was a pristine one for 800 that didn't even sell. For some reason the seller has now re-listed it at 50 more, which seems a little counter intuitive...

There seems to have been a lot of them put up for sale over the last year at crazy, aren't gonna sell-shop style prices. It seems that people are pricing theme more realistically or just going for an actual auction rather that BIN. You're gonna get some people with enough money that they'll just buy a guitar for twice the value because of the custom or rare colour but most of them (over here anyway) don't seem to sell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3216
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one on CL is the type I like. Best bridge/Tailpiece/binding/pickup combo IMHO.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
taylornutt
.
.


Joined: 17 Sep 2009
Posts: 4626
Location: Dallas, TX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Most of the custom colour/museum quality guitars that are expensive get relisted, they don't seem to be selling for that much. Most of the auction (rather than BIN) end way under that. I was watching THIS Coro 2 recently and it went for the usual 750.

In the UK ebay if you search completed listings most of the hits you get for the coronado are ones that didn't sell with high BIN prices. There was a pristine one for 800 that didn't even sell. For some reason the seller has now re-listed it at 50 more, which seems a little counter intuitive...

There seems to have been a lot of them put up for sale over the last year at crazy, aren't gonna sell-shop style prices. It seems that people are pricing theme more realistically or just going for an actual auction rather that BIN. You're gonna get some people with enough money that they'll just buy a guitar for twice the value because of the custom or rare colour but most of them (over here anyway) don't seem to sell.


What is odd about my Coronado II is it was priced at $800, which means Guitar Center probably didn't give them $300-$400 range which is crazy cheap. Probably someone hurting for money.

When the economy first got bad, people wanted crazy money, but as it has continued people really need cash and finally start listing them more reasonably.
_________________
J Mascis Jazzmaster | Baja Telecaster
AVRI Jaguar | 1967 Fender Coronado II |1977 Mullet-stang | 1973 Fender Bronco
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3216
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the better for us Wink . That Coro is the same as cobascis's one. WANT!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 631346 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!