ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Mustang humbucking bridge pickup

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Pup type?
Strat sized bucker
100%
 100%  [ 4 ]
Full sized bucker
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

bluesngrunge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Mustang humbucking bridge pickup Reply with quote

Hey. I've found that when I throw on the distortion on my mustang it sounds weak as hell. I don't really use the bridge pup for clean stuff that much so I was thinking I'd just throw a single coil sized bucker in the bridge, that way I'd have the neck for vintage fender clean tone and the bridge for powerful grungy distortion, all while keeping that classic mustang look. I was wondering what pickup I should use and if I should go strat-sized bucker or full sized bucker(guitar is routed for HH).

Also I don't want my guitar to look like some Kurt rip off.

teabag!
GHOSTLYxSTRAT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really personal preference I think, my squier mustang had a strat sized Dimarzio super distortion humbucker at 1st but I also had the full sized version in my HSS strat and to my ears I prefered the full humbucker sized one so went out and bought a full sized humbucker and routed out my mustang body and made a new pickguard wired it up and to my ears sounded so much better so stuck with it. But remember a full humbucker would require a little bit more work.

Here is my Mustang now:

It's not everyones taste Razz but I simplified it for my liking and added a coil split so I can have a single coil sound as well as a humbucker Smile
bluesngrunge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOSTLYxSTRAT wrote:
It's really personal preference I think, my squier mustang had a strat sized Dimarzio super distortion humbucker at 1st but I also had the full sized version in my HSS strat and to my ears I prefered the full humbucker sized one so went out and bought a full sized humbucker and routed out my mustang body and made a new pickguard wired it up and to my ears sounded so much better so stuck with it. But remember a full humbucker would require a little bit more work.

Here is my Mustang now:

It's not everyones taste Razz but I simplified it for my liking and added a coil split so I can have a single coil sound as well as a humbucker Smile

Thanks man. That looks killer Very Happy

teabag!
Thomas

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to like the JB Jnr single coil sized bucker but I've since moved on to the Lil 59. It sounds way better to me. That's what I have in the bridge of my Mustang.
GHOSTLYxSTRAT

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
I used to like the JB Jnr single coil sized bucker but I've since moved on to the Lil 59. It sounds way better to me. That's what I have in the bridge of my Mustang.

Sorry this might be a little bit unrelated Razz but I had that pickup in my old telecaster and that was probably my most favorite guitar that i owned tone wise.

Speaking of pickups what pickups do you want to put in your mustang bluesngrunge?
bluesngrunge

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GHOSTLYxSTRAT wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Sorry this might be a little bit unrelated Razz but I had that pickup in my old telecaster and that was probably my most favorite guitar that i owned tone wise.

Speaking of pickups what pickups do you want to put in your mustang bluesngrunge?

I'm thinking of going for some gfs lil killers

teabag!
bluesngrunge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question: if I put a gfs lil killer in, am I gonna have to change the pots?

teabag!
mkt3000

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluesngrunge wrote:
Quick question: if I put a gfs lil killer in, am I gonna have to change the pots?

I had one in my 78 Musicmaster. I had to put 1 meg pots in it because I found it too muddy.
bluesngrunge

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mkt3000 wrote:
bluesngrunge wrote:

I had one in my 78 Musicmaster. I had to put 1 meg pots in it because I found it too muddy.

Like I said, I use my neck for cleans an since it IS the neck pickup it tends to be sorta muddy so I compensate by having a really bright amp setting. So I think this would work out really good Smile

teabag!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: