ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

SX Short Scale P-Bass (SX Ursa P-Bass, SX spb bass)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: SX Short Scale P-Bass (SX Ursa P-Bass, SX spb bass) Reply with quote

I like Precision Basses but I also like short scale basses. I've found this bass and I know that Rondomusic.com sells it but I can't buy it from there because of the excessive shipping cost and I don't want to buy it in a shitty Gipsy Rose finish (it's the only one available near my town and the shops seems to have problems in ordering SX guitars/basses); according to Rondomusic.com, it comes in Olympic white, 2tone Sunburst, Lake Placid Blue and, as I said before, Gipsy Rose.
Does anyone have this bass? Where can I buy it here in Europe? Is there a good SX dealer?
Some pics:

and a video:

Link

Last edited by Golden_Sonic on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking for the shortscale strats a couple years back - I believe someone posted a link to a shop in Ireland that carried them (sorry can't be more specific!)

iCEByTes wrote:
Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SX Spain, apparently: SX Spain

There is a contact there, but if you want to look at models seems you have to click the Spanish flag.

I figured they have some distribution, I've seen a couple of them here and there in Europe, and I didn't think they would be all from the US, as they are Chinese guitars.

There's even a big club/restaurant where I live that tries to be like Hard Rock, but instead they have cheap stuff like SX in glass cases, without any indication that they were played by anybody famous, just there to look cool.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
SX Spain, apparently: SX Spain

There is a contact there, but if you want to look at models seems you have to click the Spanish flag.

I figured they have some distribution, I've seen a couple of them here and there in Europe, and I didn't think they would be all from the US, as they are Chinese guitars.

There's even a big club/restaurant where I live that tries to be like Hard Rock, but instead they have cheap stuff like SX in glass cases, without any indication that they were played by anybody famous, just there to look cool.

Yep, I know about the direct contact with sxguitarspain.com but you have to ask them for the shipping cost via email. I'd like to know if there are real shops (with their web site) whence buying that bass: any info about this irish shop?
Dillon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about in Europe, but here it's pretty much impossible to find a shop that carries rondo products. Because, and I could be wrong, but I think rondo is just an independent vendor, they don't sell to shops. A shop would have to buy one at full price then mark it up in order to make any money.

As an aside, I bought a full-scale SX P/J bass years ago (2006 if memory serves) and while it was nice at first, within a year or so the neck warped to where the truss rod couldn't dial out the relief. Had it as tight as it would go and there was still a huge bow. I live in a dry climate, but that hasn't happened to any of my other basses. I'm sure they've made some improvements since then, but it left a sour taste in my mouth, especially when Agiles I've owned have been rock solid, and they don't cost much more. (Edit: Apparently they don't make Agile basses. Bummer.)

IMO go with a Squier Bronco bass or something similar.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
I don't know about in Europe, but here it's pretty much impossible to find a shop that carries rondo products. Because, and I could be wrong, but I think rondo is just an independent vendor, they don't sell to shops. A shop would have to buy one at full price then mark it up in order to make any money.

As an aside, I bought a full-scale SX P/J bass years ago (2006 if memory serves) and while it was nice at first, within a year or so the neck warped to where the truss rod couldn't dial out the relief. Had it as tight as it would go and there was still a huge bow. I live in a dry climate, but that hasn't happened to any of my other basses. I'm sure they've made some improvements since then, but it left a sour taste in my mouth, especially when Agiles I've owned have been rock solid, and they don't cost much more. (Edit: Apparently they don't make Agile basses. Bummer.)

IMO go with a Squier Bronco bass or something similar.

I like Bronco bass but it needs lots of upgrades, first of all its strat single coil (yes, the squier bronco bass pick up is a strat single coil in reality!); besides, I like the idea to have both a precision bass and a short scale bass in an unique instrument.
I've done several researches and peraphs I've found that irish shop: Waltons in Dublin has several SX guitars and basses (included that shorty p-bass) on his web site; unlikely, they don't ship to Italy apparently: I've sent them a mail asking if they could ship in Italy and at what price... Waiting a reply.
Is there any other dealer or shop in Europe for SX Guitars?
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the sx shortscale jazz bass and it is fucking bad ass. i love it. i drop shipped an sx shortscale neck for matthewk a few years ago... i would do the same for you if you needed, guy.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some SX precision basses on The Bay and they are called SX "SPB"; on sxguitarspain.com are called VPB (but there are also these SPB basses): si there anyone that can confirm that VPB means "VintagePrecisionBass" and SPB means "ShortPrecisionBass"? On sxguitarspain.com there aren't info about the scale's difference between the two models...
mkt3000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: SX Short Scale P-Bass (SX Ursa P-Bass, SX spb bass) Reply with quote

Golden_Sonic wrote:
I don't want to buy it in a shitty Gipsy Rose finish (it's the only one available near my town

You could buy it and refinish it - might be cheaper than getting one brought in from abroad. Check with an auto-body shop to see if they'd paint it - last time I did it, they charged me $75 and had it ready in a day.
NickS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.edemuziek.nl/epages/61345850.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61345850/Products/%22SX3/4SB2%22
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
http://www.edemuziek.nl/epages/61345850.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61345850/Products/%22SX3/4SB2%22

UHOH! 149+shipping cost 22,50= 171,50 €! The price sounds good! Thanks NickS!
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally had a reply from sxguitarspain.com/, certain Miguel Vidal, he was very kind: he said that it's possible to order directly from the site and the prices also seem very cheap, a SX TeleThinline for 210,50 € or the SX Short Precision bass for 149 or 153 €, it depends if you want the spb'57 or spb'62 model.
What left me astonished was the shipping cost: 55 € for Italy!
Then I visited the site he suggested me: MUSICASA
Here I found the same shipping cost, 55 € for Italy, Germany, France and UK but only 12 € for Spain and Portugal (and the possibility of a free ship, according to the kind of order).
You can also find them on facebook and add them as friend to ask for more infos: http://www.facebook.com/musicasa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: