ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Fender Bronco Setup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flariut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Fender Bronco Setup Reply with quote

Hi, Shortscalers!

First of all, I'm not a native english speaker, so excuse any mistake in this post.

I own a 1978 black Fender Bronco for 6 years now, the love of my life, with which I have had several problems setting up.
I had never found someone who could set it up correctly so I decided to set it up myself following the instructions of the owner's manual:
http://support.fender.com/manuals/instruments/Bronco_%281973%29_manual.pdf

Pretty straightforward. But I'm struggling with this...

...this was the result on my Bronco (sorry, folks, no better camera than my cellphone yet)

Looking trough the pictures in this forum, I noticed that any of the beautiful Broncos here has the bridge in that position, I can see yours more parallel to the body (the bridge, instead of the lever being parallel).
I'm afraid that this could cause some kind of damage to the guitar.

I'm doing something wrong? Could you give me some advise?

inb4 the truss rod is ok, I'm using 011's, the action and intonation are pretty acceptable.

If you could post photos of your correctly set up Broncos I would be grateful!

Also, general Fender Bronco setup post, please share your thoughts, tips or anything that could be helpful!

Thank you very much!
Greetings from Argentina!

PD: in fact, the last time I send it to set it up, they broke me the first string saddle and, although still functional, I couldn't replace yet beacuase I can't find it anywhere, can you give me some advise with that?

Last edited by flariut on Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
speedfish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to help, but can't see your pics. Sad

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
flariut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speedfish wrote:
I would like to help, but can't see your pics. Sad

Fixed?
Addam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple; Set the bridge height (hex-head bolts), tune to pitch, adjust the trem spring (Phillips screw) so the bridge plate is paralel to the body, set the intonation, tune to pitch, rock out!
Setting the intonation can be a little fiddly; I found the saddles want to rotate as you nip the screws up, but you can hold them with a spare finger.
flariut

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AddamInsane wrote:
Simple; Set the bridge height (hex-head bolts), tune to pitch, adjust the trem spring (Phillips screw) so the bridge plate is paralel to the body, set the intonation, tune to pitch, rock out!
Setting the intonation can be a little fiddly; I found the saddles want to rotate as you nip the screws up, but you can hold them with a spare finger.

Ok, but why the bridge plate parallel to the body? the manual says the tremolo lever parallel to the body
Addam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not 100% sure why, but I read it on the internet years ago (I thought from a PDF of a Fender owners manual); it works for me.
Might be something to do with proper movement at the pivot points.
Looks right, plays right, seems logical.
paul_

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flariut wrote:
Ok, but why the bridge plate parallel to the body? the manual says the tremolo lever parallel to the body

That says "for optimum performance" which I reckon discerns range of motion for both upward/downward pitching, floating exactly in the middle so you can dip or pull the bar the same distance relative to the pitch of the strings. They recommended a floating setup on the old Strat trems too.

You can set it up however you like, if what you're doing works for you then keep at it, otherwise experiment... there's no right way.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: