ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

WRHB Q?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: WRHB Q? Reply with quote

Hey guys,

should be an easy one for you, I'm putting a WRHB into an acoustic, in the manor that I usually do, where I cut a hole midway between the bridge and the sound hole, run it to a volume pot, then for kicks this time, i have a fishman EQ/Tuner that i'd like to keep in play, but disable the volume switch on it (suppose i could just set it, and file it off...) then to a standard phono jack.

so.. I suppose my questions fall to this,

what would you suggest for a pot value/s?
previously with a PAF i used a 250K, (volume, no tone)
another project i had a GFS vintage split with a 500K, (volume, no tone)
both had their pluses and minuses, but what does a WRHB usually have?
(I don't recall what the value of pots are in my jag with WRHB, or how the tele's come stock.)

also, is it possible to do what I want with the fishman? if not, i can patch the hole. (as it is already installed with a pizzio that just doesn't give me the sound I want, or works for my style of playing)

Thinking I may even put in a tone knob this time.. though not 100% on that.

A buddy offered me the bridge bucker from his tele baritone to try out, i'm thinking that might end up in the 12-string instead (more on that later)

the acoustic in question that i'll be modding is my Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat, love the guitar, hate the stock pizzio.

any diagrams or thoughts are welcomed.
Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reissue WRHBs use 250K pots, but lots of people say that they sound better with 500K. I haven't tried that yet with mine. Vintage ones used 1MB pots but they are vastly different construction.

Can't help with the Fishman question but I recall someone telling me that it wasn't possible to hook a standard magnetic pickup up to one of those EQs. Might not be accurate.

Also, dare I ask, why on earth would you put a WRHB into an acoustic if it means cutting a hole and completely destroying it?
serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's vintage, so I guess i'll need to pick up a couple 1meg pots.

as to your question, it's because i like the sound of WRHB, but I play an acoustic.

and cutting a hole in it won't destroy it, this isn't my first trip to the rodeo.

it will however drastically reduce any re-sale value, and of that i could care less.

i've done this previously to two other acoustics, one was a simon & patrick i picked up at a small shop, and was in bad shape to begin with, the other was a 79 fender that more then served it's purpose and has now found a new home with a friend of mine who was in need of a guitar while on tour.

here's the s&p

Link

audio is quite distorted due to the shitty camcorder that was used, and my buddy sitting right beside the PA speakers.

mostly i find the humbucker to add a much needed crunch to the acoustic, while still retaining some very acoustic qualities.
(the guitar in the video sadly had an accident while I was filming a music video, and ended up with my knee going right through the front of it.)

here is the Fender, no amp, to show how the acoustic sound remains unaffected.

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: