ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Blocked and Bound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Blocked and Bound Reply with quote

For a Mustang/Duosonic /Bronc type project. I know the Wilshire is a logical choice , but I'm not fond of the aesthetics. Neck and Deluxe Kluson tuners (cream plastic kidney beans) salvaged from a free trashed Epi Acoustic. Neck has a solid body heel, 24 INCH Scale, my first. All I need is a cheap body. Thinking of doing a Gibson Mahogany thing on the body, to go with the neck. Black PG to go with the Gibson theme

Got to find a cheap body first and finish 3 other projects. Might make a bird house out of the acoustic body. These free parts are going to bankrupt me.
61fury

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Gretsch corvette body would be nice, don't know what scale they are but it's my favorite guitar shape. I remember when there was a flood of them on the Gretsch site, some huge warehouse find. I still have 6 Pickups to spare as well , 2 cheap P90's, an Epi bucker and two Strat type pick ups (measure 9.7 K)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought something Mustangey or Jaguarey with a square, three on a side headstock would look cool, like a really strange copy of something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, where did you find that neck? Do you know what it's off of? Never heard of a 24" scale Epiphone neck, especially with the book headstock.
Addam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
Wow, where did you find that neck? Do you know what it's off of? Never heard of a 24" scale Epiphone neck, especially with the book headstock.

61fury wrote:
Neck salvaged from a free trashed Epi Acoustic.

My guess is early '70s Japanese built (Matsumoku?) headstock is same as ET270 and similar.
I'm surprised at 24" scale though, I would expect a touch longer.
cur

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you building the body?

make a shortscale gretsch firebird. make a malcolm

61fury

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far I'm using parts bodies, miles from any kind of precision set up for making stuff, hell I work out of my dining room.

From the zero fret to the 12th is 12 inches, Oh and it will need a refret, deep grooves tapering off at the 7th fret. I can do a refret in my dining room. I'm still very new to all this tinkering, two refins and some light modifications.

The neck came off a Kalamazoo Epiphone body, made in Japan, I don't know if it was original or if somebody blocked off the end and bolted it on. I don't see any marks for a glued neck heel on it, there's a 6830 on the sticker and a No. 107735. Mile high action, played and sounded horrible, one of the braces was loose. As I said the guys at my local guitar building club (the East Tennessee Luthiers Guild , they'll let anybody in, great guys) said it was unredeemable.

I've got one Ibanez shredder body I cut the horns off and reshaped, that might be my strategy to get a Mustang or Corvette shape, I'd need full sized templates to see what could be adapted. Or if anyone wanted it I might just part with it, it will be a few years at the rate I work. Apparently I can use my fret leveling block as a planer, I've got several 2X10 pine boards. If I go that route it will be a Corvette body, nice if I could do a Mustang or Jag trem on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: