ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Any Mustang Bass template?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Any Mustang Bass template? Reply with quote

I can't believe that I'm on a forum about short scale guitars and basses and there is no Fender Mustang Bass template in the " Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up" section. Is there anyone that may give it to me?
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C'mon man! Is there anyone that can help me?
cooter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never made a mustang bass but I believe the body shape is the same as a Mustang guitar.
The length of the neck pocket is 4.2" or 107mm. I measured my Musicmaster bass.
If you buy a Mustang bass pickguard you should be able to sketch out your pickup routes.
I may even have a template I can trace of the pickup routes from when I made punkacc9's Jagstang bass body.
Let me know if you want a pdf of that. I think I have a mustang pickguard template as well but I'm not sure of how
accurate it is.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you may give me the template of the body shape and pickguard, isn't it? If I have not misunderstood...
cooter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golden_Sonic wrote:
So you may give me the template of the body shape and pickguard, isn't it? If I have not misunderstood...

Yeah, I can do that but it won't be until Monday when I go back to work. Then I can scan the template tracing and make a pdf.
PM me your email address and I'll send it Monday.
Viljami

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can confirm that the body on the bass is 100% the same as the Mustang (vanilla).
George

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Mustang Bass template? Reply with quote

Golden_Sonic wrote:
I can't believe that I'm on a forum
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Any Mustang Bass template? Reply with quote

George wrote:
Golden_Sonic wrote:

So can I use the body of my squier mustang (guitar) as a reference to try to make a mustang bass template?
cooter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Any Mustang Bass template? Reply with quote

Golden_Sonic wrote:
George wrote:
Golden_Sonic wrote:

So can I use the body of my squier mustang (guitar) as a reference to try to make a mustang bass template?

They're the same except where the horns meet the neck pocket. I'll trace my Musicmaster bass for you.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone will help me; a template of this bass is necessary on this forum for all the people that want to build their own Mustang/Musicmaster Bass... A mustang bass pickguard template would be also useful.
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Wood measures for Mustang Bass Reply with quote

Thanks to cooterfinger, I have a template of reference for this bass. I have to buy the woods now (or, at least, ask for the price to the supplier or some carpenter in my town). I was wondering what the measures for the body block, the neck block and the fretboard are. On the site of the supplier, it's written that:

1) "standard measures for Bodies are 50x34x4.5 cm if one piece body, 50x18x4,5 cm if two pieces body" (alder bodies are 3 pieces with thickness of 3,5 cm);
2) "standard measures for Necks are 70x9 cm for guitar necks and 90x10 for bass necks, the price may change according to the thickness (2 cm/3,5 cm/5 cm)";
3) "standard measures for fretboards are 50x6,5x0,7 cm for guitar fretboards and 65x7x0,7 cm for bass fretboards";
4) "other custom measures for woods can be given on request".

Assuming that the Mustang Bass is a 30" scale and its body shape is quite similar (if not identical) to the guitar version, my questions are:
-) Should I ask for a body with the measures upwards or a body with custom measures?
-) Can I take the guitar neck and fretboard blocks since the mustang bass scale is only 5" bigger than the normal Fender guitar scale or is it better if I take the woods with measures for bass?
Sorry for the english, I hope you've understood my doubts.
singlepup

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a nice Mustang Bass body for sale in the classifieds. Only 70 Euros. Ships from France. Go check it out!
Golden_Sonic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Wood measures for Mustang Bass Reply with quote

Golden_Sonic wrote:
Thanks to cooterfinger, I have a template of reference for this bass. I have to buy the woods now (or, at least, ask for the price to the supplier or some carpenter in my town). I was wondering what the measures for the body block, the neck block and the fretboard are. On the site of the supplier, it's written that:

1) "standard measures for Bodies are 50x34x4.5 cm if one piece body, 50x18x4,5 cm if two pieces body" (alder bodies are 3 pieces with thickness of 3,5 cm);
2) "standard measures for Necks are 70x9 cm for guitar necks and 90x10 for bass necks, the price may change according to the thickness (2 cm/3,5 cm/5 cm)";
3) "standard measures for fretboards are 50x6,5x0,7 cm for guitar fretboards and 65x7x0,7 cm for bass fretboards";
4) "other custom measures for woods can be given on request".

Assuming that the Mustang Bass is a 30" scale and its body shape is quite similar (if not identical) to the guitar version, my questions are:
-) Should I ask for a body with the measures upwards or a body with custom measures?
-) Can I take the guitar neck and fretboard blocks since the mustang bass scale is only 5" bigger than the normal Fender guitar scale or is it better if I take the woods with measures for bass?
Sorry for the english, I hope you've understood my doubts.

I have other question: can I use the Mustang "guitar" control plate? Because it's impossible to find the "bass" version here in Europe. Or would a Jaguar control plate be better? What is the measure of the truss rod I'll have to buy for the neck?
Please, can anyone answer me?
Addam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine you will have to buy a control plate from America either way.
Just get thisMustang Bass control plate on eBay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: