ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Fixing fret ends poking out of binding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:10 pm    Post subject: Fixing fret ends poking out of binding Reply with quote

Is it possible? Without destroying the binding (or worse, having to replace it)? I've done plenty of fret end dressing, but never on a bound neck. Friend of mine has a KC signature Jag and I couldn't believe just how unplayable it is. Fret over binding just isn't a good thing in a dry climate such as ours. Maybe there is a thick tape that will be good enough to shield from a file accidentally hitting the binding? Or, since the binding doesn't have finish over it, maybe hitting it with a fine-tooth file won't do much to it?
Zack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for some thick tape over the binding. Something like duct tape will probably leave residue which is no good and painters tape rips too quickly, best to use lots of layers and go slow? I would think that even hitting it with a fine tooth fine will leave some tool marks, which even if they'd only be seen in the light, I'd want to avoid.
MatthewK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe put a humidifier in the case so the wood gradually expands back?
speedfish

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatthewK wrote:
Maybe put a humidifier in the case so the wood gradually expands back?

I would try this or put it in the bathroom and get the room steamed up good. I had the same problem with a used guitar that I purchased from a fellow in Arizona (or maybe it was Nevada) and it had stabby fret ends. I exposed it to some humidity and our climate here and the problem resolved without resorting to filing.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
Dillon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm I hadn't considered steaming. My first thought was that it wouldn't work, since it's bound, and the plastic wouldn't expand like the wood. But that shouldn't matter, because if that's the case, it wouldn't have shrunk, either. A humidifier...well, in my experience that will help keep a neck from shrinking in a dry climate, but strangely it won't fix one that already has.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: