ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Pickup modification tips for an original Squier Super-Sonic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spaceman Dave

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:56 am    Post subject: Pickup modification tips for an original Squier Super-Sonic Reply with quote

I own a late 90's Squier Supersonic (not the newer, re-released pawnshop version) that I purchased when they were being sold brand new and were made in Japan. I've heard the quality on these is Amazing and are basically Fender guitars with Squier decals on the headstocks. Anyway, everything on it is original and it has been my go-to guitar for the entire time I've had it. I've tried other guitars, but nothing else feels quite so comfortable to play as my Super-Sonic, though the sound I get out of it could use some improvement.

In recent years, I've really come to love the bluesy sound I can get from a Strat (even though they aren't as comfortable in my hands) and have wondered... could I make some simple modifications to my Super-Sonic to add the bluesy, Hendrixy sound I'm looking for?

My initial thought was to add push/pull knobs to split the pickups, but I have some questions for those who are more experienced in guitar modification:

1. Can I get a Hendrixy, single-coil blues sound out of the stock pickups if I split them? I've heard the quality on the stock pickups is not good.

2. If I were to replace the pickups with different humbuckers and split them, what are my best options to get the sound I'm looking for? I would prefer to have the flexibility of both humbuckers and single coils.

3. Is there anything I'm overlooking here? I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks, everyone!
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly the Duncan Stag Mag provides the closest sound.

You can also fit one of those single coil adapters, but you'll have to drill a few holes in the pickguard.
Dillon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO split humbuckers will never sound quite like a real Strat pickup, especially the neck...if the stock pickups weren't meant for splitting (don't know, depends on their output and how they're wired), they probably won't sound great. But some can get pretty close. I haven't tried the StagMag, but I'd look into the DiMarzio Bluesbucker. It says it's a "P90" type sound, but to me it sounds more like a hot Strat pickup.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/humbuckers/bluesbucker
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Bluesbucker and a Humbucker From Hell in the SGuar, and they sound like singles.

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The HFHell sounds exactly like a piezo when split too, which is kind of rad.

George wrote:
Yeah, thickness, nut
wadeaminute

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made one of mine into a strat:

Spaceman Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshadowofseattle wrote:
I have a Bluesbucker and a Humbucker From Hell in the SGuar, and they sound like singles.

I've been looking into the Bluesbucker... it has my interest piqued.
Spaceman Dave

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice! And how does it sound?

wadeaminute wrote:

Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Pickup modification tips for an original Squier Super-So Reply with quote

Spaceman Dave wrote:

Scott Grove mod. Simply unscrew the pole pieces from the half of the humbucker that has screw head poles. Completely reversible, looks kind of shitty, but gives you single coil clarity and highs while maintaining the hum cancelling aspect of the bucker.

lengthy demo I found on youtube, start at 9:50 for just the mod sounds

Link
speedfish

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make certain that you change the pots (250K) and cap (0.22uF) to match a strats.

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
wadeaminute

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spaceman Dave wrote:
Very nice! And how does it sound?

wadeaminute wrote:

It sounds like a short-scale guitar with Strat pickups. Stratish, but not a Strat. And the headstock is backward, as is the angle on the bridge pickup.
It has Fender Custom Shop Fat 50s in it, with both a five way switch for pickup selection, and a three way switch for tone controls (straight through, volume and tone, or volume and cocked wah). With master volume and tone knobs. And a phase reversal push-pull for combination settings.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Pickup modification tips for an original Squier Super-So Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
Spaceman Dave wrote:

Scott Grove mod. Simply unscrew the pole pieces from the half of the humbucker that has screw head poles. Completely reversible, looks kind of shitty, but gives you single coil clarity and highs while maintaining the hum cancelling aspect of the bucker.

lengthy demo I found on youtube, start at 9:50 for just the mod sounds

Link

I've done that to my Jetking; it's a really nice middle ground between a humbucker and a single, hard to describe. The beauty is that it takes a few minutes to do and is ridiculously easy AND it makes a pretty major difference. I spun the pickups around too so that the non-affected coil is on the outside for a little more high-end.

Again, it doesn't compare to a real singlecoil, but definitely gets you a little closer and sounds infinitely better than the usual anaemic coil-split humbucker sound. The Jetking can do this too, I should do an demo, really.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: