ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Russian shortscale DIN conversion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swimdeeper

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:50 pm    Post subject: Russian shortscale DIN conversion Reply with quote

A couple of weeks ago, I bought a Russian watch in a junk shop which has kicked off a fascination with relics of communism.
I also horde guitars (11 and counting) and I was browsing through old guitars from the USSR I found something called a stella that is like a melted Jaguar or something. It has 4 pickups,8 switches,stereo controls and a sparkly pickgaurd. It's reputed to be awful to play but that's not what's deterring me from clicking buy it now. It has a 5 pin DIN. I know there are converters, but I'd likely lose it. My question is does anyone have any idea how to replace the DIN with a standard jack? (if I get help I'll have to buy it and review it)

Also, this is the item in question

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/STELLA-RARE-Vintage-Soviet-Electric-Stereo-Guitar-USSR-/181686371851?pt=Guitar&hash=item2a4d5a060b
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIN is German, some old German guitars (1950s-60s) also have it.

Here is a simple schematic leave out the ring because you're not dealing with stereo:

so basically just two pins are of any interest.

taken from here so you know what plug you are looking at:
http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=2217

Russian schema, notice same numbers:

2 is ground/earth, 5 right, 3 left

I think this is looking straight at the plug on the guitar. In any case you might want to open it up and look, you might possibly need to hook up 3 and 5 together.

There are other applications, such as active electronics for the other pins, which were unfortunately not used to the full extent.

However, since you're buying a pretty clean example at collectors' prices, you might consider making a cable instead. You could simply get a MIDI cable and put a jack on the other end.

Actually his prices are pretty good for that stuff sold in the West, I've seen much higher prices in Germany, but they are collectors' items, even if lower budget, look how much Vox guitars have gone up. Mustangs were also $200 in 1989...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: