ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

New FSR CIJ Compstangs at Andertons
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have more details about these? Is the pickguard aged just like in the photos? Does the stripe go all around? How does the pickups sound?

Thanks for any details.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like the Fender Japan MG73-CO model, which are pretty well documented. I'm a fan and have two already.

On my MG73-CO, stock, pickups sound good but noisy. I always change them because I'm like that but it's unnecessary to do so. They're Alnico pickups by Fender Japan. Sort of cheap looking under the cover but they have all the correct bits. They measure right about 6k, RWRP pair, single coil. They'll get you the Mustang sound. Switches are the Asian type, which use a retaining nut instead of the switch being threaded for screws. I find this aggravating but it's not something you have to deal with unless you're changing pickguards or switches.

Stripes never go all around on any Fender Mustangs.

I just got an email that they're in stock now. I ordered one just now, the blue one. That's been the RI Mustang I've been trying to find for years. Comes out to 581.49 GBP including shipping to USA. Thanks to no VAT for overseas sales, it's way cheaper than 669 pounds that UK buyers have to pay. At current conversion rates, that's 910.26 USD for a brand new Japanese made Fender, which is actually a damn steal if you think about the fact that the Fender Japan '65 Mustang RI sold for $939.99 new.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok thanks for the info.

I been waiting for a blue one myself with matching headstock. But i read these only have 21 frets instead of 22. So i think thats the only difference from the original ones?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It says 21 frets, but the picture clearly shows 22 frets. They're not gonna bother creating an entirely new neck design when they already have this model that they've been selling for many years (MG73).
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickS
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 9486
Location: Nr. Basinggrad, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
I just got an email that they're in stock now. I ordered one just now, the blue one. That's been the RI Mustang I've been trying to find for years. Comes out to 581.49 GBP including shipping to USA. Thanks to no VAT for overseas sales, it's way cheaper than 669 pounds that UK buyers have to pay.
What, no tax or duty on import?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3196
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't be. He's buying from the US so he doesn't pay VAT.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3196
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're from outside the UK you can get your VAT back in most stores at point of sale. If the store doesn't offer that you get it back at the airport.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



O hai.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sholkham
.
.


Joined: 13 Feb 2011
Posts: 835
Location: S.E. UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickS
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 9486
Location: Nr. Basinggrad, UK

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nas!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine yeasterday. Sold some guitars to afford this. Im not happy with the action. So probably gonna try to sink it a bit. Anyways the pickups sounds nice and i like the floating tremolo. Well im gonna play it in first before im takin actions. Nice guitar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 21109
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks the bollocks. But even so, 669 is a lot, it's a Mustang guitar. I could buy a half decent car for that money.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

weeping_moon wrote:
Got mine yeasterday. Sold some guitars to afford this. Im not happy with the action. So probably gonna try to sink it a bit. Anyways the pickups sounds nice and i like the floating tremolo. Well im gonna play it in first before im takin actions. Nice guitar.
Truss rod should be the first step. Once I set mine my guitar action was perfect. Of course taking the whole neck off sucks but loosening the strings and using a capo helps.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
weeping_moon wrote:
Got mine yeasterday. Sold some guitars to afford this. Im not happy with the action. So probably gonna try to sink it a bit. Anyways the pickups sounds nice and i like the floating tremolo. Well im gonna play it in first before im takin actions. Nice guitar.
Truss rod should be the first step. Once I set mine my guitar action was perfect. Of course taking the whole neck off sucks but loosening the strings and using a capo helps.


Well. After playing it again today it felt better. But yeah truss rod is the way to go.

Are you planning to change the pickups or stay with the original ones?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it might just need a little time to adjust from the flight, too, in terms of truss rod and everything, too. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of my guitar out of the box. Sure, the truss rod needed about 3/4 of a turn (I might turn it back 1/8 of a turn when I change strings because I like a little slack) but the action was spot on once the truss rod was taken care of. I have about 1.5mm in the treble side and 1.75mm on the bass side, which to me is perfect, and no choking on bends on the high E string, I was able to do whole step pretty easily. I will probably adjust to 1.75mm on the treble side when I am really giving my guitar a good setup. I also like the cigar tailpiece quite high so I got to get that.

I plan on using my series/parallel wiring diagram with some Fralin Blues Special Mustang pickups that I got at a really good price. The stock pickups are good but I always feel like I'd like a little more output, and I feel like the Fralin Blues pickups will give me that. I think I want to keep this one looking stock, because at least some of the appeal of the guitar is the visuals, so no Strat pickups this time.

Other than that, my Mustang changes that I like are a GraphTech string tree and a non-rocking Staytrem 7.25" bridge. I'll get around to them eventually but I don't have to have them. I might wrap my bridge in some tape in the mean time.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickS
.
.


Joined: 14 Jan 2008
Posts: 9486
Location: Nr. Basinggrad, UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
Shouldn't be. He's buying from the US so he doesn't pay VAT.
What I meant was, is there no tax or import duty in the US?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
Yeah, it might just need a little time to adjust from the flight, too, in terms of truss rod and everything, too. I was pleasantly surprised at the condition of my guitar out of the box. Sure, the truss rod needed about 3/4 of a turn (I might turn it back 1/8 of a turn when I change strings because I like a little slack) but the action was spot on once the truss rod was taken care of. I have about 1.5mm in the treble side and 1.75mm on the bass side, which to me is perfect, and no choking on bends on the high E string, I was able to do whole step pretty easily. I will probably adjust to 1.75mm on the treble side when I am really giving my guitar a good setup. I also like the cigar tailpiece quite high so I got to get that.

I plan on using my series/parallel wiring diagram with some Fralin Blues Special Mustang pickups that I got at a really good price. The stock pickups are good but I always feel like I'd like a little more output, and I feel like the Fralin Blues pickups will give me that. I think I want to keep this one looking stock, because at least some of the appeal of the guitar is the visuals, so no Strat pickups this time.

Other than that, my Mustang changes that I like are a GraphTech string tree and a non-rocking Staytrem 7.25" bridge. I'll get around to them eventually but I don't have to have them. I might wrap my bridge in some tape in the mean time.


Well after my late in night playing the guitar rocked. Its been a long flight from japan to germany to finland. Dont know where it have been there between. Im planning to keep this one stock. Im not modding anything. One thing was a shock through. The frets 21 but it is 22 and the pickguard shows a aged one but it is not. Its a complete 73 MG reissue. Why dosent Fender show these on their website? Is it limited?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
honeyiscool
.
.


Joined: 01 Feb 2011
Posts: 2072
Location: San Diego, California

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Shouldn't be. He's buying from the US so he doesn't pay VAT.
What I meant was, is there no tax or import duty in the US?
Nope.

weeping_moon wrote:
Well after my late in night playing the guitar rocked. Its been a long flight from japan to germany to finland. Dont know where it have been there between. Im planning to keep this one stock. Im not modding anything. One thing was a shock through. The frets 21 but it is 22 and the pickguard shows a aged one but it is not. Its a complete 73 MG reissue. Why dosent Fender show these on their website? Is it limited?
Ever since Fender Japan ended, I think these guitars are being phased out. I guess there's a little bit of stock left and they're getting rid of them by packaging them as "Factory Special Run" but really, they're just Fender Japan guitars they've never offered outside of Japan that they're getting rid of.

And really? My pickguard looks aged. Either way, it looks just great.
_________________
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 4575

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
weeping_moon
.
.


Joined: 08 Nov 2009
Posts: 1401

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
NickS wrote:
Thomas wrote:
Shouldn't be. He's buying from the US so he doesn't pay VAT.
What I meant was, is there no tax or import duty in the US?
Nope.

weeping_moon wrote:
Well after my late in night playing the guitar rocked. Its been a long flight from japan to germany to finland. Dont know where it have been there between. Im planning to keep this one stock. Im not modding anything. One thing was a shock through. The frets 21 but it is 22 and the pickguard shows a aged one but it is not. Its a complete 73 MG reissue. Why dosent Fender show these on their website? Is it limited?
Ever since Fender Japan ended, I think these guitars are being phased out. I guess there's a little bit of stock left and they're getting rid of them by packaging them as "Factory Special Run" but really, they're just Fender Japan guitars they've never offered outside of Japan that they're getting rid of.

And really? My pickguard looks aged. Either way, it looks just great.


Not mine. My pickguard is not aged at all.
Yes. Im gonna play some Melvins on it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 627688 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!