ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Supersonic pawn pickups

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up
View previous topic :: View next topic  
broomhandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:44 am    Post subject: Supersonic pawn pickups Reply with quote

Picked up a 2012 super sonic. I noticed the pickups are super loud, and not the clearest... I took it to a tech. He did a coil tap push/pull and tone mod. He said the pickups are super hot. The coil tap sounds cool but the humb buckets are still loud and dirty. Anybody?

Anybody swapped out?
Thomas

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check what pots they've got in it. They're probably mismatched.
broomhandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I swapped the original pot for a bourns 500k push pull, and I left the original pot. Which is a weird pot. But 500k. Solid shaft...
HNB

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a ground wire is messed up?
broomhandle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody else with the fender super sonic think the pickups are super loud and over the top?
broomhandle

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nobody has anything to say about super sonic pickups? the both measure at 15k.

and the problem to replace is that fender used the 3 bolt humbucker, which nobody makes...
paul_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use another Fender 3-hole style pickup (sourced from Amazon, eBay, independent sites) with a more moderate output such as the Diamondback, Twin Head "vintage", Tex-Mex, etc... stay away from the Enforcers and Atomic Humbucker (one of which you likely already have in the guitar).
Alternatively you could drill an extra hole in the pickguard between the existing two on the bass side. Those Fender pickups actually have 3 mounting holes on both sides so you can use them in any orientation or with any pickguard; the two bass-side screws aid angling of the pickup relative to pitched strings and also stop it moving when struck or rested on.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
broomhandle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
You could use another Fender 3-hole style pickup (sourced from Amazon, eBay, independent sites) with a more moderate output such as the Diamondback, Twin Head "vintage", Tex-Mex, etc... stay away from the Enforcers and Atomic Humbucker (one of which you likely already have in the guitar).
Alternatively you could drill an extra hole in the pickguard between the existing two on the bass side. Those Fender pickups actually have 3 mounting holes on both sides so you can use them in any orientation or with any pickguard; the two bass-side screws aid angling of the pickup relative to pitched strings and also stop it moving when struck or rested on.

I was thinking about other fender pickups. Does anybody know of other 3 bolt humb pickups? I'm looking for that warm vintage sound
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schaller pickups can be set up that way, they have three holes on each side. I don't know if the spacing matches though, but they have detailed diagrams on their site, you can measure.
http://guitar-pickups.biz/hp12743/Humbucker.htm?ITServ=CY3fea284X1507a2cc4f9XY5d39

Also Fender Vista pickups, but you might not be happy with those either.

I keep reading the thread title "Supersonic prawn pickups".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Guitar Projects and Tech/Set-up All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: