ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Why Deluxe Reverb
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunshiner

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:14 am    Post subject: Why Deluxe Reverb Reply with quote

I am more after Vox sound, its cleans seems to be ringing and bitting, while Deluxe's cleans are more twangy and funky. For number of reasons I can't buy VOX AC30.
My type of sound is the early Beatles songs but with more overdrive for the rythm parts and some boosts for solos. Apart from that I'm not against getting some Black Keys tone out of the amp now and then.
There is a chance that I can get Deluxe Reverb or Peavey Classic 30. Deluxe is twice more expensive. Peavey has overal thicker sound, Deluxe I guess cuts through the mix better.

So the question is why a wide range of musicians from soft indie bands with airy sound and jazz players to classic rockers and shoegazers frequently prefer Deluxe Reverb over any other amp?

Last edited by sunshiner on Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
daftsupernova

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit sounds good

theshadowofseattle wrote:
That's why there's two: one for pee, one for tone.
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Deluxe Reverb Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:

So the question is why a wide range of musicians from soft indie bands with airy sound and jazz players to classic rockers and shoegazers frequently prefer Deluxe Reverb over any other amp?

Decent headroom with sweet(less colored) cleans, and very balanced breakup...whatever that's supposed to mean. On the contrary, in general the AC15s and AC30s I've played were rather finicky when things got crunchy, namely more gainy pickups would seem to get rather stuffy sounding thru Vox circuits.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fender are super cheapskates, because if you want to get the standard Reverb instead of the Deluxe Reverb, the standard Reverb doesn't even come with an amp, just the effect.
Concretebadger

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's got great cleans, a 12" speaker and, unusually for a 1x12 combo, it's not too large or heavy to carry around. I still miss mine sometimes. They're really nice amps, but expensive. They're certainly more "cutting" and bright sounding than most, especially on the reverb/trem channel. I never really drove mine too hard so wouldn't know what the breakup was like, but opinion seems to be divided between the breakup being "sweet" and "farty." They do take pedals well though, so you could use an OD for solos.

Didn't the Beatles use deluxe reverbs when recording their Abbey Road album or something? I'm not a huge fan of theirs so don't pay much attention.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried a few and they're superb amps, my silvertone 1483's circuit is based off of the old fender deluxes, they just work so good with pedals and cut through nice. Perfect for band practice, small clubs, at home, and mic'd up at larger venues. I'm seeing them pop up all over the place recently. Personally I'm pretty sure you can nail any tone you want with one of those and some pedals.

If you're not gonna use it for band application and want a bedroom amp I'd check out a princeton reverb or something along the lines of that.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concretebadger wrote:

Didn't the Beatles use deluxe reverbs when recording their Abbey Road album or something? I'm not a huge fan of theirs so don't pay much attention.

I'm not sure about Abbey Road also, atm I'm more after their early 3 chord songs like She loves you etc.

I thought it over and decided to end up with a cheaper amp that doesn't request a lot of maintenance, without reverb, tube rectifier, with less number of tubes. It would be a burden to have a quite expensive tool that exceeds my playing skills. Some working horse to plug guitar and pedals in and to play would be ok. I'll try to get something used with a pair of el84 or 6l6 like Hot Rod Deluxe or maybe Blues Deluxe if I'm lucky. Not what I'm dreaming about, but tbh I vaguelly understand what I'm dreaming about, so we will see.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
Fender are super cheapskates, because if you want to get the standard Reverb instead of the Deluxe Reverb, the standard Reverb doesn't even come with an amp, just the effect.

Fenders are super expensive everywhere outside the US. In the US there is also a big market for used equipment.
Fakir Mustache

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just joking, because they have an amp called Deluxe and not one called "Standard" or "Regular".

But anyways, you could try Laney, maybe Lionheart 20 or something like that.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fakir Mustache wrote:
I was just joking, because they have an amp called Deluxe and not one called "Standard" or "Regular".

Ok, now I got it
Doug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Why Deluxe Reverb Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
I am more after Vox sound, its cleans seems to be ringing and bitting, while Deluxe's cleans are more twangy and funky. For number of reasons I can't buy VOX AC30.
My type of sound is the early Beatles songs but with more overdrive for the rythm parts and some boosts for solos. Apart from that I'm not against getting some Black Keys tone out of the amp now and then.
There is a chance that I can get Deluxe Reverb or Peavey Classic 30. Deluxe is twice more expensive. Peavey has overal thicker sound, Deluxe I guess cuts through the mix better.

Sunshiner, I was just playing a Vox AC15 and the clean was clean, the gain had a wide range from subtle to real dirty; and the volume was way more than I could test in a store. It was $500 new.

My Peavey Classic 30 is a great amp for volume, for clean, and for a range of tones up to dirty. But the gain channel is pretty conservative...over half-way up you get sustain but not serious dirt.

sunshiner

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Doug. I've tried AC-15 and while it sounded terribly loud in the showroom I still feel that it breaks up too early and won't be clean and loud enough to keep up with a drummer.
Peavey Classic 30 may suit me perfect, I mostly like conservative gain. Now I'm seeking for a used one somewhere near by
ekwatts
A series of tubes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOUG IS RIGHT, CLASSIC 30 IS GOOD. JUST THROWING MY OPINION IN THERE AS THERE MAY HAVE BEEN A CHANCE THAT YOU MIGHT NOT HAVE NOTICED DOUGS POST, MAYBE.

Brandon W wrote:
you elites.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i also noticed the issue with ac15 breaking up a little early and, what would we expect from 15 watts? it's gotta give at some point.

the ac30's i've played have had tons of headroom. maybe not quite as much as a twin, but at least as much as a deluxe from what i noticed.

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dots wrote:
i also noticed the issue with ac15 breaking up a little early and, what would we expect from 15 watts? it's gotta give at some point.

the ac30's i've played have had tons of headroom. maybe not quite as much as a twin, but at least as much as a deluxe from what i noticed.

My AC30 has lots of headroom as well, it will get fuck-all loud before it starts to break up.
dots
BADmin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep. dimed the master volume with normal channel at about '3' the other day, and hlysht. ear-shattering loud & crystal clear.

jcyphe wrote:
But the people need that wiggle stick.
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned a Deluxe Reverb and a Blues Deluxe. There's a reason why the Deluxe Reverb is more expensive... it's much better. I would save for one.

Or if you're young/strong, get a Twin.
71Smallbox

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlepup wrote:
Or if you're young/strong and don't care about your back, get a Twin.

fixt.
sunshiner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm young, weak, lazy and it is easier to find bones of the dinosaur here than Twin Reverb. New amp will cost twice as much as in the States. Also it will be a problem to find any decent venue or gig to use it in full. So my variant is something grab and go and what I won't be afraid to trash. If I don't give up guitar in following years I'll buy DRRI
paul_

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

71Smallbox wrote:
singlepup wrote:
Or if you're young/strong and don't care about your back, get a Twin.

fixt.

*lolz a lot til he remembers the Bassman Ten he just bought after long search to save back from decade of Marshall half-stack*

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: