ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

your guitars and who inspired their purchase...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WayToHip
.
.


Joined: 20 Feb 2014
Posts: 199
Location: Alberta, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had a guitar god to look upon when I started playing, I love Sonic Youth but they aren't an influence on my playing. Some how, the sound of jazz guitar was an ideal, but I can barely play and jazz is not what I set out to do.

Jaguar and Danelectro: Friends had these guitars, and the quirky looks and supposed cheapness attracted me.

Epi Thunderbird bass: Krist Novoselic played one, and so did Kim Gordon. Krist was a bigger influence, and humbuckers did wonders to hide the pawn shop's bad wiring.

Harmony Hollywood: Everyone in town played solid bodied guitars so I decided to play hollow bodies to go against the norm, also I thought full sized arch top guitars looked cooler than telecasters or Les Pauls.

El Degas LP: Josh Homme and humbuckers rock.

Jack Casady bass: The bassist in Black Rebel Motorcycle Club plays an Epiphone Rivoli, and hollow bodied guitars and basses are cooler.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44635

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

casey fucking prestwood


read all about the guitar in what turned out to be the only shortscale.org interview ever.
http://www.shortscale.org/wiki/index.php?title=Casey_Prestwood_Interview






[img][/img]

[img][/img]
_________________
plopswagon wrote:
fringe 'pubes
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
lorez
.
.


Joined: 16 Dec 2009
Posts: 8660
Location: Hopelessly Wayward

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nearly every indie band from the late 80s early 90s really
_________________
benecol wrote:
Ah, the heady days of trying to get beefytoanz out of my Marlin strat by adjusting the pickups right up to the strings.

dots wrote:
This forum's format is my vinyl.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BearBoy wrote:
Seem to remember you weren't that enamoured with the SG200 when you first got it? I assume it must have grown on you? Rather depressingly, I think I have had my SG200 since before you were born


Aye, I wasn't really arsed about it at first. There's a bunch of wear which the seller didn't make me aware of, so I was annoyed about that, and I think it put me off the guitar for a bit. But after a month or two it grew on me and, to be honest, it shits all over every other guitar I've owned. Although I'd like to change the bridge pickup at some point.

Like I said, the SG200 was inspired by Fran specifically. But having thought more about it, I'm gonna contradict my original post. My Vintage SG was definitely inspired by a few people; Tony Iommi, Stephen Malkmus and Falco most notably.

I love how there's very little that can go wrong with an SG. It's a lot like a Tele in that respect. In fact, my Vintage SG is arguably more like a Tele with the pickups I've got in it (taken from BobArseCake's Squier VM Jaguar).
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 10655
Location: Elland-Straße ist der einzige Ort für uns

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were Mike's.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WELL THEN.
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20838
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
FAO Fran


Had that issue as well Smile

Never knew Charlie Burchill had used a V. Underrated guitarist.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7247
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
BearBoy wrote:
Seem to remember you weren't that enamoured with the SG200 when you first got it? I assume it must have grown on you? Rather depressingly, I think I have had my SG200 since before you were born


Aye, I wasn't really arsed about it at first. There's a bunch of wear which the seller didn't make me aware of, so I was annoyed about that, and I think it put me off the guitar for a bit. But after a month or two it grew on me and, to be honest, it shits all over every other guitar I've owned. Although I'd like to change the bridge pickup at some point.

Like I said, the SG200 was inspired by Fran specifically. But having thought more about it, I'm gonna contradict my original post. My Vintage SG was definitely inspired by a few people; Tony Iommi, Stephen Malkmus and Falco most notably.

I love how there's very little that can go wrong with an SG. It's a lot like a Tele in that respect. In fact, my Vintage SG is arguably more like a Tele with the pickups I've got in it (taken from BobArseCake's Squier VM Jaguar).


I thought falco was a bass player!?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7247
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fran wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
FAO Fran


Had that issue as well Smile

Never knew Charlie Burchill had used a V. Underrated guitarist.


I still have it (or it would have been hard to take that picture). All my playing technique comes from this issue, t'is my bible. All the "alternative" guitar tricks from the Velvet underground's droning strings through the 80s heavily modulated chorus sound to the 90s grunge loud quiet loud... And all points in-between. The dawning of "fuck, that's how you play guitar..." Before this issue I was just posing in front of the mirror.


Charlie's the man, met him a couple if times thoroughly nice bloke...


Last edited by dezb1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20838
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Fran wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
FAO Fran


Had that issue as well Smile

Never knew Charlie Burchill had used a V. Underrated guitarist.


I still have it (or it would have been hard to take that picture). All my playing technique comes from this issue, t'is my bible. All the "alternative" guitar tricks from the Velvet underground's droning strings through the 80s heavily modulated chorus sound to the 90s grunge loud quiet loud... And all points in-between. The dawning of "fuck, that's how you play guitar..." Before this issue u was just posing in front of the mirror.


Charlie's the man, met him a couple if times thoroughly nice bloke...

It was only recently I cleared all my mags out.
At the time I loved them, especially Total Guitar. I got loads of ideas from them and because I never bothered with the audio CD it was usually my own interpretation taken from the tabs.
I know what you mean, it dragged me away from barre chords and all that.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

robroe wrote:
I got a stomach ache. Anyone got any heroin? Or like a gun or something?

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7247
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has lived the last 20 years in I a zip lock bag on me book shelf, I read it every now and again to remind myself how much I wanted to learn teh guitar... December 1995 eh! Long time ago... It's probably older than Freddy!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 4512

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol people actually liked Bush.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
I thought falco was a bass player!?


Not sure if there's more than one Falco, but the one I'm referring to is the guitarist/vocalist in Future of the Left and used to do the same in mclusky.


_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
singlepup
.
.


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 4033
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
lol people actually liked Bush.


Yes, don't remind me. I saw them in concert*








*more than once
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
singlepup
.
.


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 4033
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also forgot that Juliana Hatfield ever existed. I'm guessing our younger posters have never even heard of her?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7247
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
lol people actually liked Bush.


Not me... The issue did have some duds in it.


Last edited by dezb1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7247
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
I thought falco was a bass player!?


Not sure if there's more than one Falco, but the one I'm referring to is the guitarist/vocalist in Future of the Left and used to do the same in mclusky.





Link
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Brandon W
.
.


Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 8728
Location: happiest town in america

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
lol people actually liked Bush.

i still do.. keep it on the down low
_________________
cur wrote:
I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.

Chico Malo wrote:
This thread just went down the toilet. Bye

iCEByTes wrote:
Carrot´s and pussy party happy joy joy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
timhulio
Redheaded Stepchild


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4612
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juliana Hatfield is actually good. I went through a phase of listening to all her albums about ten years ago. There are many more than you'd imagine. Total System Failure is very good of the later ones. I think they reformed either Blake Babies or Juliana Hatfield Three recently.

Here's a nice live version of Choose Drugs.


Link

_________________

The Sailplanes - London band
Fredric Effects - pedals
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 3362
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlepup wrote:
I also forgot that Juliana Hatfield ever existed. I'm guessing our younger posters have never even heard of her?


Only really know her from the come on feel the lemonheads album. Which i loved. A lot.
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 602251 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!