ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

RECORDING NERDS: second opinion(s), please?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: RECORDING NERDS: second opinion(s), please? Reply with quote

I've been recording an EP with a local surfy/noisy garage rock band called Dull Aches. They have almost zero internet presence, so don't bother trying to find them, ha...

I'm pretty pleased with how everything is sounding. I feel like I've really improved at both recording and mixing over the past six months, and the stuff I'm doing now feels pretty far ahead of what I was doing at uni (which seems silly considering I was studying recording, but EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY etc...).

Every band I record seems to be into the whole ~swampy delayed vocals~ thing, and I don't want people to think that's the only thing I can do. Although then again, I am rather good at it.

I've just finished mixing the first track (none of them have titles yet, apparently) and I've sent it to the band for some feedback, and then if they like it I'll be getting the other four tracks up to the same standard asap. In the meantime, I thought it might be useful to get some feedback from other music nerds. So what do you guys think? It's rather quiet because I haven't done any mastering.

HERE IS THAT SWEET, SWEET LINK. GO AHEAD AND GIVE IT A GOOD OLD CLICK.

Stuff I've picked up on:

  • The theremin could possibly do with some more volume automation, I've never recorded one before and I pretty much didn't consider the fact that they essentially cover ALL THE FREQUENCIES. Does it sit okay in the mix?
  • I'm feeling pretty confident with my room mic placement at the moment, so the drums on my last few sets of recordings have turned out pretty well. My only concern is that the snare perhaps sound a little bit fizzy somewhere around 3.5kHz. Am I being too picky?

_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vojtasTS29
.
.


Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 313
Location: Prague

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a live tape of the band or something to compare it to? I think both the bass and guitar might need a bit more hi-mids and treble, but i have no idea how the band is supposed to sound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's this one live video:


Link


The recordings I've done are essentially live though. Recorded drums, bass and vocals all live in the same room, and then overdubbed vocals and theremin.
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vojtasTS29
.
.


Joined: 03 Aug 2015
Posts: 313
Location: Prague

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, maybe turn down the bass a tiny bit, listening to it on normal stereo that amplifys bass makes the bass too loud in my opinion. You know, it can sound cool on monitors, but it has to sound good on most things.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fakir Mustache
.
.


Joined: 25 Sep 2013
Posts: 3204

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The band sounds like a live recording in a club. You could raise the level of the theremin a bit.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
I only buy synths with mini keys as I like the shortscale synths.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brandon W
.
.


Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 8728
Location: happiest town in america

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RECORDING NERDS: second opinion(s), please? Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
I've been recording an EP with a local surfy/noisy garage rock band called Dull Aches. They have almost zero internet presence, so don't bother trying to find them, ha...

I'm pretty pleased with how everything is sounding. I feel like I've really improved at both recording and mixing over the past six months, and the stuff I'm doing now feels pretty far ahead of what I was doing at uni (which seems silly considering I was studying recording, but EVERY DAY IS A SCHOOL DAY etc...).

Every band I record seems to be into the whole ~swampy delayed vocals~ thing, and I don't want people to think that's the only thing I can do. Although then again, I am rather good at it.

I've just finished mixing the first track (none of them have titles yet, apparently) and I've sent it to the band for some feedback, and then if they like it I'll be getting the other four tracks up to the same standard asap. In the meantime, I thought it might be useful to get some feedback from other music nerds. So what do you guys think? It's rather quiet because I haven't done any mastering.

HERE IS THAT SWEET, SWEET LINK. GO AHEAD AND GIVE IT A GOOD OLD CLICK.

Stuff I've picked up on:

  • The theremin could possibly do with some more volume automation, I've never recorded one before and I pretty much didn't consider the fact that they essentially cover ALL THE FREQUENCIES. Does it sit okay in the mix?
  • I'm feeling pretty confident with my room mic placement at the moment, so the drums on my last few sets of recordings have turned out pretty well. My only concern is that the snare perhaps sound a little bit fizzy somewhere around 3.5kHz. Am I being too picky?

if you want to send me the tracks i can try some things i have here and see if the theramin can pop a bit more.. i would increase the whole mix at 1:28 until around 1:50 and then settle back down.. i want to try a little more distortion on the vocals and then just enough reverb to set it back in the mix and keep that lo-fi sound.. Honestly it sounds great though.
_________________
cur wrote:
I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.

Chico Malo wrote:
This thread just went down the toilet. Bye

iCEByTes wrote:
Carrotīs and pussy party happy joy joy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brandon W
.
.


Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 8728
Location: happiest town in america

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hear the fizzy sound you described so i'm gonna say don't fix it if it ain't broke..

I'm just seeing the part about not mastered so i think the things i was gonna try will actually happen in the mastering process..

good job.. i like it a lot
_________________
cur wrote:
I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.

Chico Malo wrote:
This thread just went down the toilet. Bye

iCEByTes wrote:
Carrotīs and pussy party happy joy joy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vojtasTS29 wrote:
well, maybe turn down the bass a tiny bit, listening to it on normal stereo that amplifys bass makes the bass too loud in my opinion. You know, it can sound cool on monitors, but it has to sound good on most things.


I think rather than less bass it could possibly do with more upper mids, but I see your point. I've mixed all five tracks now but I'm gonna listen on several different sets of speakers before committing.

Glad you like it Brandon, yeah I think your main issue is just the overall volume? Everything will be much louder once it's been mastered.
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Brandon W
.
.


Joined: 24 Oct 2012
Posts: 8728
Location: happiest town in america

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
vojtasTS29 wrote:
well, maybe turn down the bass a tiny bit, listening to it on normal stereo that amplifys bass makes the bass too loud in my opinion. You know, it can sound cool on monitors, but it has to sound good on most things.


I think rather than less bass it could possibly do with more upper mids, but I see your point. I've mixed all five tracks now but I'm gonna listen on several different sets of speakers before committing.

Glad you like it Brandon, yeah I think your main issue is just the overall volume? Everything will be much louder once it's been mastered.

i thought the opposite of the bass from vojtas but i always do.. I always think it isn't loud enough. Personally, i would try some eq on the bass without raising or lowering the volume just to see if it can stay out of everyone's way but still be nice and audible. The people i usually work with always say the bass should be felt more than heard but i like to hear it. I'm just a big fan of the textures and nuances the bass offers. It could greatly benefit from playing with the upper and lower mids. I would try to cut some freq's out also. Somehow that gets the bass to sound good for me.
I do like it very much Freddy. You're doing a great job. I wouldn't say the overall volume but the way each track reacts in the countless different mastering options and techniques. This is something i keep learning on every song i do. I always have everything perfect in the mix and then i master and subtle details i emphasized by amplification in the mix becomes too loud if i master certain ways. This art is constantly teaching me that i know nothing. I think i have it and i don't. The good news is i personally get better each time. I learn from my mistakes. So i think the things i was gonna try may come out better in the mastering process. By come out better, i mean the blanket is lifted off the sound. I can't wait to hear it!
_________________
cur wrote:
I need it to be smaller or I get shitty messages from mezz telling me my junk's too big.

Chico Malo wrote:
This thread just went down the toilet. Bye

iCEByTes wrote:
Carrotīs and pussy party happy joy joy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4082
Location: Leeds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brandon. I know what you mean about a blanket being lifted. I mastered the last thing I recorded myself (SHAMELESS PLUG) and was pretty pleased with how it sounded. Supposedly it's better if someone else masters a track, because they're coming to it with fresh ears and are more likely to notice issues the mixing engineer didn't fix. So I think these Dull Aches recordings should turn out even better than the Black Gorgon ones!
_________________
BEIGE PALACE // PUDDIN' // THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Sloan
Sexy Predator


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 11794
Location: Atlanta GA, USA!!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would totally split that bass into two tracks, keep everything under like 100hz where it's at have the track that's like all the fret/string noise much lower. get it to sit with the drums and i think that it will mostly be pretty balanced. that's really the only thing sticking out a whole lot and it's kinda distracting to me.
_________________
Record your next album with me in Atlanta, GA. It'll be a good time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Playing Technique, Theory, Recording Tips, and Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB Đ 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 602242 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!