ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

NGD: Snazzy Jazzy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mattsican

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 6:43 am    Post subject: NGD: Snazzy Jazzy Reply with quote

After a long courtship, i finally pulled the trigger on a Squier VM Jazzmaster. I replaced the white guard with a mint guard from allparts. I also replaced the stock pup covers with some fender aged whites and replaced the saddles with some graphtech saddles. The saddles aren't 100% the right size, but after normal new string stretch it seems to be holding tune pretty damn well. And no obnoxious buzzing. I also electrical taped the bridge posts to keep things from shifting. Finally i copper tape shielded the shit out of the back of the guard and the cavities underneath. After some minor fret/nutwork i'm pretty pleased with everything. One issue i have to fix is the grounding. Since i switched to graphtech saddles i need to somehow drill a hole from the vibrato tailpiece cavity into the control cavity so i can ground to the trem. That shouldnt be too hard though hopefully.

[img] [/img]
HNB

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite Jazzy color combo. Grats!!
Mattsican

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered some Ken Rose Picasso humbuckers for it. I'm pretty sure the Jazzmaster has 1meg pots. Should I swap them down to 500k or even 250k since im switching to humbuckers??
speedfish

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! My favorite color also. humbuckers usually use 500-1000 and single coils 250 pots. 500's should be perfect unless you are looking for a darker sound.

Cool

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
singlepup

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put 250k pots in my Squier VM Jazzy with the stock pups. It tamed a bit of the shrill and was an improvement IMO.

For humbuckers, 500k is probably ideal... might be too muddy with 250.

And yes, also pretty sure the VM Jazzy comes with 1 meg pots stock. The Jag does too.
Mattsican

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singlepup wrote:
I put 250k pots in my Squier VM Jazzy with the stock pups. It tamed a bit of the shrill and was an improvement IMO.

For humbuckers, 500k is probably ideal... might be too muddy with 250.

And yes, also pretty sure the VM Jazzy comes with 1 meg pots stock. The Jag does too.

I got a couple of alpha 500k's laying around i'll probably swap when the pups arrive. I'm def not a jingly janglie guy and these single coils sound okay, but i need something with more low end. Which kinda defies the purpose of a jazzmaster i guess. The Ken Rose Picasso pups seem like a good blend of both so im stoked to get those going.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: