ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

New guitar day. Well, it should be.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youcancallmebetty

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: New guitar day. Well, it should be. Reply with quote

Except parcelfarce won't deliver on a Saturday. Meh !

It's a classy Harley Benton mustangish, a lefty, just like me, and it's currently resting at the local delivery depot until Monday. I bought it as a "cheer up, it's only an apocalypse" present to myself.

As I can't yet play it, I reckon I should explore how to set up the trem. It's my first short scale.

Any recommendations for strings ? I play loud, sloppily and with a fair amount of gain.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, congrats, start with 11's and go heavier/lighter from there, and this thread should be in the short scales section.
serfx
ss.o bastard son

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto on all the above.

enjoy the new guitar, something to make monday worth showing up for.
euan
partynerd!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't realise Harley Benton did left Mustangy guitars...

euan
NickS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.
George

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fender super bullet 10s, imo
youcancallmebetty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kindnesses !!

Still bloody waiting though. It left the depot at about 7.30 this morning, seemingly on an extended (and prolly extra bumpy) tour of Suffolk. The suspense is killing . . .
youcancallmebetty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: It's here !!! Reply with quote

.... and, it's a bit crap really.

Set-up is on a par with other left handed guitars I've bought/handled. Neck, action and intonation are all way out. Pickups are miles away from sounding good, and in the case of the neck pickup, a short bus ride away from the strings ..

I think one of the pickups is in upside down too, as they have identical staggered pole pieces, although the lowest bridge pole is under the A string, and the shortest neck pole piece is under the b ?? (Comments most welcome).

The neck is really poorly finished, the satin finish is lumpy and grabby, with small splatters of no finish between the octave and the heel, and it 'sitars' on the open a string. Bastard. The rosewood is thirsty, but that's about the least of my woes. The People who made the Tom bridge decided to err on the side of caution whilst adding a little manufacturing tolerance.

The body is poorly edge-routed, which shows through the finish, as does the lack of detail sanding, along with a few under surface dings.

The d'addario strings are lifeless and dead sounding. The low e has been bashed in transit, and is kinked where it (used to) pass over the saddle.

The colour's nice though ! And the pickguard is also way better than I've learned to expect from Thomman (I bought their 335 copy; it"s pickguard was (as any fule kno) some sort of 'jobs for the blind' social enterprise. I like the trem too, although I haven't really had much of a chance to put it through it's paces, as I've so far spent most of he last hour attempting to wrestle it into playable condition.

Ooh, the strap buttons seem ok so far, and the knobs haven't broken or fallen off yet. Although I will most certainly remove them at some point and throw them into the woods at the bottom of our garden. The tuners are all stiff and hurty on my fingers when I attempt to use them.

I made the last bit up. Sorry Thomman.

I have a pair of chrome pickup covers in stock. This affords me the will to continue. I'm going to have a nice cup of tea, then I'm off to my workshop with a set of fender nickel tens (heaviest I have in) a couple of tuners, some knobs, lemon oil, and sonic youth/pixies cd's.

Wish me luck Homies. Homo's ..lol. X
paul_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: It's here !!! Reply with quote

youcancallmebetty wrote:

I think one of the pickups is in upside down too, as they have identical staggered pole pieces, although the lowest bridge pole is under the A string, and the shortest neck pole piece is under the b ?? (Comments most welcome).

Mustang pickups and Strat pickups have the same v-shaped baseplate and one of the routes on a mustang is "upside down" as it were... the pickups are reverse orientation to each other. Because Mustang covers are solid and their poles non-staggered, I'd be willing to put this down to an oversight/compromise of this guitar. Copied the Stang routes but used cheap Strat pickups with staggered poles.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
youcancallmebetty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
youcancallmebetty

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh. Three hours later, decision made; it's going back. Every time. Look at it, I see another blem, it plays in an unacceptable fashion, and sounds crap imho. Guess I'll have to parts-cast one instead. I have requested a refund.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surprising. I got a Harley Benton Tele a few weeks back and I'm a bit stunned at how good it is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gutted too. I too bought their tele, it was ace, as was their 335 once upgraded.
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am surprised, I have a HB JB-75 bass that is frankly phenomenal, and a ST-6? Strat copy that after I swapped out the tinfoil tremolo is all the strat I need, nice chunky neck Wilkinson pickups well finished.

You might have just go a bad one.
George

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah cut your losses and send it back. i've dumped too much money into guitars that i never play and never recoup money on. fuck it.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youcancallmebetty wrote:
I'm gutted too. I too bought their tele, it was ace, as was their 335 once upgraded.

I suppose a tele is exactly the type of guitar to buy a cheap one of, and a Mustang is exactly the type of guitar not to. Teles are easy to make, like.
Best Poster 2010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
Teles are easy to make, like.

DULL DIY/MANUFACTURING FACT: strats are easier still.
singlepup

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: It's here !!! Reply with quote

youcancallmebetty wrote:
Wish me luck Homies. Homo's ..lol. X

dude!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: