ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

Squier Bullet Mustang
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cooter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
Wow. Never seen that on a cheap Squier, much less the majority of Fender models. How the hell did they let that one slide? Looking forward to seeing it tinted anyway.

I've actually got lucky once before with a Squier neck. This one was a donor from a Squier Mini Strat.

jagsonic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the feeling of the neck? Is it thick or thin?
cooter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jagsonic wrote:
What is the feeling of the neck? Is it thick or thin?

Mine has what feels like a thinner C profile. No baseball bat C profile. It actually feels a lot like a vintage Mustang neck to me.
Thomas

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news!!
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played one in guitar guitar about 10 minutes ago fucker would not stay in tune... well disappointed had the cash in my pocket expecting to buy it.
Cymbaline

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dezb1 wrote:
Played one in guitar guitar about 10 minutes ago fucker would not stay in tune... well disappointed had the cash in my pocket expecting to buy it.

The stock strings are probably junk, I put new fatter strings on and it stays in tune great
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cymbaline wrote:
dezb1 wrote:

The stock strings are probably junk, I put new fatter strings on and it stays in tune great

Might order from t'internet so I can return easily if new strings don't sort the tuning out.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it easier to return to a retail store than an Internet site? Or is that an American tradition?

It has nothing to do with fatter strings. You just have to run the old strings over the nut grooves a little bit, put a little vaseline on it, and put some new strings on. Mine stays in tune quite well and I use 9s (though I'm slowly switching to 9 with heavier bass strings).
PV-1955

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="dezb1"]
Cymbaline wrote:

Might order from t'internet so I can return easily if new strings don't sort the tuning out.

Just an FYI.... I've now had three of these on my bench and with fresh quality strings and a good stretching, the Bullet Mustang holds tune quite well and isn't an issue.
gusman2x

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeyiscool wrote:
Isn't it easier to return to a retail store than an Internet site? Or is that an American tradition?

It has nothing to do with fatter strings. You just have to run the old strings over the nut grooves a little bit, put a little vaseline on it, and put some new strings on. Mine stays in tune quite well and I use 9s (though I'm slowly switching to 9 with heavier bass strings).

In the UK, you often can only return an item to a store if it is defective. But if you buy something online, you have 14 days for a no questions asked return under the distance selling regulations.

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
dezb1
The Oppressor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
honeyiscool wrote:

In the UK, you often can only return an item to a store if it is defective. But if you buy something online, you have 14 days for a no questions asked return under the distance selling regulations.

^ this
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gusman2x wrote:
honeyiscool wrote:

Seems like "doesn't stay in tune" is a fair defect, then.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PV-1955 wrote:
Just an FYI.... I've now had three of these on my bench and with fresh quality strings and a good stretching, the Bullet Mustang holds tune quite well and isn't an issue.
Both of mine stay in tune great. Better than a stock Fender Mustang, I'd say.

I've read reports of people buying many of these guitars, and zero reports of people complaining about tuning instability after new strings.
cooter

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two coats in. Wow.

HNB

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru Oil is a bit magic. What is your technique? I've been working off this thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/how-do-you-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
Tru Oil is a bit magic. What is your technique? I've been working off this thread:

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/how-do-you-get-a-high-gloss-from-tru-oil-finish.711780/

Following Quarter's words of wisdom would be the way to go. Tom was an amazing craftsman and his lap steels are works of art. I was truly saddened when he recently passed away. He was a regular member over at reranch and was always willing to help with any questions I had.
Like he said in the thread you posted, there's many ways to get great results with Tru Oil. I use a coffee filter and wipe on thin coats to build up a finish. A new filter with each coat. I tend to work quickly covering a good bit of area.
Before I start with the Tru Oil I used Tinted Amber water based dye on the raw wood. Putting about three light coats on then lightly sanding back then repeat until I get the tint I want. Then I wipe it all down good before starting the Tru Oil.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't realised he'd gone. His work really is incredible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went to my local guitar shop and played one. The back contour made it feel more like a strat than a jag, which is a good thing in my book. I've never played a Mustang with a back contour before.

The setup was shite and buzzed all over, but besides that I'm not sure I really like the satin finish on the neck. I suppose if I actually bought it I might get used to it, I dunno.

They also had those Affinity HH strats in the sparkle finishes, I didn't try them out though. Eventually picked up a couple of free catalogues on my way out.

To be honest, there was an Ibanez superstrat I tried in another shop a few days ago that I liked a lot more. It had a kind of satin finish as well, but felt much better. They didn't have it in the finish I wanted though.
honeyiscool

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played mine in rehearsal the other day. It's surprising how much I enjoy it. It's so different from what I'd usually play, but it really is such an enjoyable guitar. The radius, I don't feel that much difference, but while bending, it definitely does feel more like a Gibson than a Fender. I've been recently switching to 9+ strings, which are the top three strings of 9-gauge set with the bottom three strings of a 10-gauge set. I think changing to that will give the guitar the feel that I'm looking for where I can bend easily but still be able to drop D to play along with Bleach-era Nirvana live tracks. I probably wouldn't have bought this guitar if it was even $299, but at $149, it's just incredible, considering I've had to do zero work with fret files and I'm still using the stock tuners and have yet to have had a moment where I feel like I was held back by the guitar in any way at all.

Still using stock pickups. I'll probably get a nicer set of pickups one day, but I really, really like what I'm getting from the stock pickups. I think changing to 500k pots (stock 250k) did help.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: