ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiWiki   ShortScale RadioRadio  ShortScale WikiBuilder

Different sustain on different clean amps

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Different sustain on different clean amps Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I bought myself an old Boss DF-2 feedbacker distortion. I notice that on a some amps I get more sustain and a more fluent sound than on other amps. The same I have experienced with the Boss Metal zone. On some amps I get almost endfless sustain and on other amps a lot less.

Does anyone know what's the reason of this?

By the way on all the amps only the clean channel was used as I always do. On most amps I don't like the overdrive of the amp itself.

Cheers
paul_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different EQ and gain

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonewood of the cab resonating along with the cosmic microwave background radiation.

all he does is wish Dots Happy Birthday and reply OK to any post i make on his facebook.

NickS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshadowofseattle wrote:
Tonewood of the cab resonating along with the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Teacher knows best...
sunshiner

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Different EQ and gain

This. If you are playing a "clean" amp (blackface, silverface fenders) and get your distortion with pedals, you're just emulating the sound of distorted peamp section and of distorted output t00bes and those t00bes are actually idle and there're no lasting notes. If you're playing through a "rock" amp (marshal, any higain amp) you are sending t00bes into saturation very early on a dial and get that lasting sustain. Notes can partly be more articulate on a clean amp because of the fact that output t00bes are not saturated, but mostly because of the type of biasing which is used on a given amp.
dub

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be the type and sensitivity of the speakers.
Gabriel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to go with the level of natural compression. Some amps even though they sound clean have a level of natural compression to them. This is the difference between playing through something like a Vox and a Roland Jazz Chorus.

My favourite amps to play through are lower powered valve amps that can play pretty clean but compress a little when you turn them up. I've played a show in a concert hall with a big band using a 11 watt Ampeg Jet (albiet with a super efficient speaker fitted) and not had any issues being heard.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this question not "why do different amps sound different?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's certainly an element of the compression to pick attack in some amps (e.g. a Deluxe Reverb with its valve rectifier gives this great "bounce" and sag that a Twin with its diode rectifier doesn't) but I dunno if the effect is heard on the fuller duration of notes rather than the initial fraction of a second after you strike a note. I'd say it probably does. Speakers add a bit of compression as well, don't they? I bet that's a factor too.

I wonder whether the eq and the way it filters out different frequencies that are less or more audible as a note rings out also makes a difference. If the tone stack lets through frequencies that are present even when a note is dying away, it's going to sound like it's sustaining longer than a tone stack that filters them out. If, say, the bass component of a note dies away before the treble does, a low pass filter will give less sustain than a high pass one.
NickS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP is talking about using these different amps with the Boss DF-2 and the Metal Zone, not clean into the amp, which would affect things. Four-egg-sample, I imagine a distortion/crunch/fuzz is going to take much of the dynamics put of the signal and give you a pretty compressed waveform in the first place.
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it comes to almost endless sustain, the best result with the Metal zone I had was when playing on a clean Marshall tube half stack. And the volume was not not on a high level at all.
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not joke about this. I now about a guy who had a snack corner. Because of the lack of room, he had his belly against the microwave also when it was working. After a while it seemed that his intestines were partilaly cooked.

This is no joke.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did he die?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He felt his heart strangely warmed and founded Methodism.

Oh hang on, no, that was John Wesley.
Jagtornado

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was operated. If he survived the operation I don't know.
paul_

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The supposed health impact of microwaves and that of microwave ovens are different topics of conversation in this particular context.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Grant

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagtornado wrote:

Do not joke about this. I now about a guy who had a snack corner. Because of the lack of room, he had his belly against the microwave also when it was working. After a while it seemed that his intestines were partilaly cooked.

This is no joke.

This reminded me of something. I've made a thread: link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: