ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups      RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkt3000

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:51 am    Post subject: I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD. Reply with quote

This post is brought to you courtesy of beer. Beer, helping me ramble and make irresponsible purchases for years.
-----------------
Handbag tax. I've mentioned it before. It is how my fiancée and I let me buy gear. But it also know it goes both ways. If she gets a handbag, she gets hit with a "get something for Rob tax". She bought me a camera and a new watch that way. Pretty much the only things we spend equal amounts of money on are craft beer, concert tickets, and plane tickets.

Anyway, yeah. The story.

I started my new job earlier this week. I am a creative director now.. boom. I hit the top job title in my career. On top of it, I sold the Danelectro and my Traynor, which gave me a few extra dollars. (added bonus, I sold the Traynor to a local vintage music store, who put the Traynor in the "you can try it but we're not really interested in selling it VIP room - so I can still use it)

So I did what every person that gets a director level job does: buys a vintage Les Paul, vintage Strat, and never fucking plays them... jk. I'm still earning Florida wages while paying Miami cost of living. Also I hate Strats and LPs.

Seriously though, MF is having a sale on some items, which reduced the price of the open box and used variants. I saw a GC/MF special edition G&L Tribute Bluesboy in Turquoise Mist for $cheap, and I've been craving a Tele. I've been aiming for Baja Tele, but I can't justify $800+ for one. But the G&L is just right. With how impressed I've been with my Tribute Fallout, said to hell with it.

As for the handbag. I just transferred the moneys to her personal account. I'll update you guys once I know which one she got Razz

The guitar should arrive next week. For now, website pics, and someone elses demo (with a different finish)

Link

speedfish

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the promo and new guitar!!! WAY TO GO!

Very Happy

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"
NickS

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD. Reply with quote

mkt3000 wrote:
s for the handbag. I just transferred the moneys to her personal account. I'll update you guys once I know which one she got Razz

worthless without pics
Can't wait...

Congratulations on your promotion! and guitar.
mkt3000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It arrived Wednesday at my sister's house, but with the thanksgiving rush and family + fiancée arriving from PR, I finally got around to unboxing it and playing with it this morning.

I bought it used... it was literally brand new in the box. It still had plastic on the pickguard and humbucker. It appears to be a factory second - the finish has a single very minor blemish on the finish, but it's unnoticeable to the naked eye. I only noticed it when I looked through it. Also, the neck is dirty. Not worn - the frets have no wear at all, it's just dirty; and the string ahve a bit of corrosion.

To me this guitar was one of the first manufactured in the beginning of 2017 (has a 17 SN), was kept in the back of the warehouse, forgotten about, found many months later, and sold as used due to imperfections.

Anyway - it plays great, arrived tuned to E flat, and perfectly set up. I'll swing by a music store this weekend to grab new strings and get the (old) original ones off.

Tones: Clean, the bridge and bridge + neck combo sounds great, but the neck pickup is quite muddy.

But dirty, it sounds great it all 3 positions.

For the price I paid for it, I think I'll upgrade the electronics during the holiday season (thinking of a fatter bridge pickup and a hum shaped P90 in the neck, and will keep beating it up until I see if there are any other weak points.

Finally, the finish. It's sold as Turquoise Mist, but it's really Ice Blue Metallic.
mkt3000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD. Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:
s for the handbag. I just transferred the moneys to her personal account. I'll update you guys once I know which one she got Razz

worthless without pics
Can't wait...

Congratulations on your promotion! and guitar.

UPDATE.

She got an Anne Klein bag, a Michael Kors bag, and two new pairs of converse all stars with that moneys.
mkt3000

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single imperfection on the finish that is likely why I got it for cheap:

sunshiner

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks appetizing
BearBoy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new job. And the Tele.

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD. Reply with quote

mkt3000 wrote:

She got an Anne Klein bag, a Michael Kors bag, and two new pairs of converse all stars with that moneys.

Ah now, that's another three guitars you need to buy...

If I had this sort of a deal with my wife, and she got an item of x value and for that I managed to get three guitars totalling x, she would be livid and demand more items.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I got a new job, so I got the lady a new handbag... NGD. Reply with quote

Bacchus wrote:
mkt3000 wrote:

Ah now, that's another three guitars you need to buy...

If I had this sort of a deal with my wife, and she got an item of x value and for that I managed to get three guitars totalling x, she would be livid and demand more items.

I tried that.

But she went to law school and lawyered me.

Hoping she buys a ridiculously expensive handbag, so I can put sport springs and new wheels/tires on my car.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finish looks way more subdued than in stock photos. Maybe it's the lighting?

In any case, congrats, those are great guitars, I'm kind of surprised I've never owned one.
mkt3000

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update. I couldn't deal with the mud - so I swapped out the pickups and pots.

500k pots, GFS 1960's Hot Alnico Tele on the bridge, and a GFS Surf 90 on the neck.

Now it's gone from mud to bright as hell - I love it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: