ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

green mustang 119 now
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44266
Location: THE WHITE HOLE

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:14 pm    Post subject: green mustang 119 now Reply with quote

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/FSR-Bullet-Mustang-HH-Electric-Guitar-Surf-Green-1500000051854.gc

here ya go shortscale. best deal on a mustang ever.

if you don't get one you are CRAZY
_________________
Gavin wrote:
i've always wrapped my laptop in clingfilm before any big spooge sessions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doug
.
.


Joined: 21 Aug 2010
Posts: 859
Location: Atlanta, Georgia and Cashiers, North Carolina

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: green mustang $119 USD Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier/FSR-Bullet-Mustang-HH-Electric-Guitar-Surf-Green-1500000051854.gc

here ya go shortscale. best deal on a mustang ever.

if you don't get one you are CRAZY


Great Price, cool color. A Squier Mustang is often a poor-to-mediocre guitar. But that's no reason to rule one out...there are always a few individual Squier Mustangs that will be good to very good quality. You don't know till ya examine one carefully and play it through an amp you're familiar with.
_________________
Doug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Nick
Y'SEE!?


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 7837
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked one up today at GC, bashed a few power chords on it and just said no.

That said, I know the ones that have been modified on these forums are probably kick ass. It's not the guitar's fault if it has a bad setup from the factory and can use some cash thrown at it to upgrade the bridge/tuners/nut/pickups, but I've been down that road too many times.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Concretebadger
.
.


Joined: 14 Apr 2012
Posts: 2111
Location: Leeds Leeds LEEDS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

Now I have one of these of my own, I see where Nick's coming from: it's playable all right, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra work and TLC as soon as you get it home. My next guitar will instead be one that's "just right" out of the box, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. Which will probably be something higher-end that takes some shopping around, but I can afford to be lazy about it next time around.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Doug
.
.


Joined: 21 Aug 2010
Posts: 859
Location: Atlanta, Georgia and Cashiers, North Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concretebadger wrote:
Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

Now I have one of these of my own, I see where Nick's coming from: it's playable all right, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra work and TLC as soon as you get it home. My next guitar will instead be one that's "just right" out of the box, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. Which will probably be something higher-end that takes some shopping around, but I can afford to be lazy about it next time around.


Oooops, tried to edit and ended up double-posting. See blow...
_________________
Doug


Last edited by Doug on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Doug
.
.


Joined: 21 Aug 2010
Posts: 859
Location: Atlanta, Georgia and Cashiers, North Carolina

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug wrote:
Concretebadger wrote:
Yeah, these HH stangs are crazy-cheap and usable, and fine as your backup "second" guitar or if you're a beginner on a budget. That said, you'll want to swap the pots for 500k and give the fretboard a bit of lemon oil at the very least...the pickups aren't too bad, but as with most budget guitars the urge to upgrade those too is worth bearing in mind as well.

Now I have one of these of my own, I see where Nick's coming from: it's playable all right, but it's a bit of a nuisance to have to do extra work and TLC as soon as you get it home. My next guitar will instead be one that's "just right" out of the box, and doesn't need anything doing to it at all. Which will probably be something higher-end that takes some shopping around, but I can afford to be lazy about it next time around.


If you know how to adjust a truss rod, replace pickups and bridges, you can buy great guitars used for great deals.

All my guitars & amps are serious collectibles or vintage. And I got a deal on every one of 'em. I research exactly what I want and get all the correct specs in order. I often shop on Ebay but I talk with the seller extensively before I pull the trigger. First by email, then by phone. I ask detailed questions and get a sense for the seller's technical knowledge, personality, character and make sure there's a return policy. I also shop guitar stores and pawn shops, especially when I travel. Check out:

Starving Musician in Berkeley, Cal. They always have Mustangs for sale, new, used, collectible, and vintage at good prices. https://starvingmusician.com/cart/
Stevie B's in Clearwater, Fla. on Hwy 19; extra-personal service from the 3 young owners who are in bands. http://www.steviebs.com/

So far, I've not been burned.

Cheers, lads,

_________________
Doug
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
singlepup
.
.


Joined: 10 Dec 2010
Posts: 4014
Location: San Diego

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, did yours arrive?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44266
Location: THE WHITE HOLE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did.

Honest opinion.....

If I didn't already rebuild Als bullet mustang with donated parts not costing me anything and knowing that the end result can look sound and feel FUCKING AMAZING....I would be really disappointed in this guitar. The ztrings are tiny and it won't stay in tune at all. It sucks. I haven't even plugged it in. This guitar is a platform for greatness period. Nothing else.
_________________
Gavin wrote:
i've always wrapped my laptop in clingfilm before any big spooge sessions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44266
Location: THE WHITE HOLE

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i really really really need to tear this thing down soon.



_________________
Gavin wrote:
i've always wrapped my laptop in clingfilm before any big spooge sessions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 3339
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome. Can you write your opinion about it in comparison with your other shortscales? And do an demo
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cymbaline
.
.


Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 214

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These Mustangs are IMO the best value guitars of all time. I have the Blue Sparkle one, cannot get over how great it is, especially for a measly $150.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20648
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the neck? Any good?
Let's be honest, it makes a Fender.
The Jagstang was a bit garbage but what a great neck.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

NickS wrote:
Earl Grey tea is flavoured with bergamot oil, which is extracted by crushing the anal glands of cliff-nesting seabirds in a press.

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
can i get uhhh


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 19104
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the neck on Noirie's blue one; very shallow and flat, a little too skinny for me but WAY better than the VM Squier necks. Those fuckers are like baseball bats (got a CIJ Jag neck on mine now).

I think if you're prepared to put the effort into a bit of fretwork and a good setup, these are very decent for the pricepoint.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44266
Location: THE WHITE HOLE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the state its in right now off the rack?

its total fucking garbage.

hot garbage full of tires on fire.



its seriously awful.


the nut where the B string goes is barely cut at all. it pops out of there if you barely do a bend.
the screw in B string saddle comes loose on its own. Ive never seen a guitar do this before. I'll screw it in, play it a bit, set it down, come back to it and its fucking almost falling out its come unscrewed so far.

the neck is white as fuck. I will say the fret ends on it are better than the one I put together for Al. that one I had to file the shit out of them.
the strings are so small you can use them to stint a mouse dick and still have plenty of room for the pee to come out.




of the rack if i had this for a first guitar i would get so frustrated with it I would quit after about a month.


that being said I bought it with the intention of throwing the bridge in the trash, throw the strings in the trash, tinting the neck, filing down the fret ends and it will take me 3 seconds to fix the nut once i get the strings off it. and i'm EXTREMEMLY HAPPY with how the ALSTANG turned out


soooo....project guitar i give it 100%.....starter guitar 0%. honestly it would stuck total balls for a starter guitar.....shit like this makes beginners quit playing
_________________
Gavin wrote:
i've always wrapped my laptop in clingfilm before any big spooge sessions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 44266
Location: THE WHITE HOLE

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is what this guitar sounds like with me playing .11 strings and it sounds really off. the green one off the rack has like .07's on it or something. I cant play ANYTHING on it with out it going sharp.


Link

_________________
Gavin wrote:
i've always wrapped my laptop in clingfilm before any big spooge sessions
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20648
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
in the state its in right now off the rack?

its total fucking garbage.

hot garbage full of tires on fire.



its seriously awful.


the nut where the B string goes is barely cut at all. it pops out of there if you barely do a bend.
the screw in B string saddle comes loose on its own. Ive never seen a guitar do this before. I'll screw it in, play it a bit, set it down, come back to it and its fucking almost falling out its come unscrewed so far.

the neck is white as fuck. I will say the fret ends on it are better than the one I put together for Al. that one I had to file the shit out of them.
the strings are so small you can use them to stint a mouse dick and still have plenty of room for the pee to come out.




of the rack if i had this for a first guitar i would get so frustrated with it I would quit after about a month.


that being said I bought it with the intention of throwing the bridge in the trash, throw the strings in the trash, tinting the neck, filing down the fret ends and it will take me 3 seconds to fix the nut once i get the strings off it. and i'm EXTREMEMLY HAPPY with how the ALSTANG turned out


soooo....project guitar i give it 100%.....starter guitar 0%. honestly it would stuck total balls for a starter guitar.....shit like this makes beginners quit playing


Laughing

Maybe you got the runt of the litter Rob?
Squire qc is usually high standard considering the cost of their guitars.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

NickS wrote:
Earl Grey tea is flavoured with bergamot oil, which is extracted by crushing the anal glands of cliff-nesting seabirds in a press.

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
can i get uhhh


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 19104
Location: London

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it just needs a decent setup; too much neck relief and/or nut not cut deep enough; more pushy = more bendy.

Yeah, they're not perfect guitars by any stretch of the imagination, but a proper setup will always make a huge difference. Like most of the low end stuff, QC is totally inconsistent so you get both dudz and diamondz/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nick
Y'SEE!?


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 7837
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My short experience mirrored Rob's but I had figured maybe I just played a bad one.

Thinking more about it as a former GC employee, the whole reason these exist for so cheap is to help upsell holiday shoppers to anything better and more profitable. I'm gonna go on a hunch that cost on these is something like $87 and probably more like $95 with adpack. They're not getting rich on them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Cymbaline
.
.


Joined: 22 Feb 2012
Posts: 214

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play gauges:

12
16
20
28
38
52

On 24" scale. Just an FYI for anybody who likes em fat, these gauges are all tension-equal between 9 and 10 Kg per string. I like my strings all equal tension. And playing a .052 string sounds fucking huge, can also put in Drop D with no floppiness.


Last edited by Cymbaline on Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fran
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 20648
Location: Nottingham, Englandshire.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.07's are the future.
_________________
dezb1 wrote:
Stop fucking about and get an SD-1

NickS wrote:
Earl Grey tea is flavoured with bergamot oil, which is extracted by crushing the anal glands of cliff-nesting seabirds in a press.

brandonwinmill wrote:
Maybe i'll sell my internet. It's lost its fun since i already beat it twice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 595349 / 0

Guitars at Musician's Friend

Help support this site by clicking the above link!