ShortScale Forum Index www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader   ShortScale WikiBuilder

the new Billy Corgan Reverend. FFO EKWATTS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: the new Billy Corgan Reverend. FFO EKWATTS Reply with quote

its got burns mojo feathers all over it.

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the robroe signature is like 300 cheaper.

jcyphe

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a thread about this already.
paul_

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 years ago

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hidden: 
theshadowofseattle wrote:

just thought i'd share, in case anyone else is thinking about custom builds.

The Williams Special

The Williams Special is a Les Paul-Strat-Mustang-Explorer hybrid, with hollow body cavities, Mustang scale length,
built like a paul with mahagony and maple top, with vintage-dimension strat body, explorer headstock.

(semi-related: my first 'good' guitar was a '75 Fender Mustang.)

This guitar was commissioned in 1986.

It is a Gibson Les paul-Fender strat-Fender mustang-Gibson explorer HYBRID.
-built by Stan Williams, Rome Georgia.

-based on the Fender Mustang scale length at 24.0"....this design is also similar to brian may's red special.

*honduras mahogany body, with air cavities carved in the body below the maple top.
*flame maple top, 3/8" thick.
*vintage-dimension strat body.
*2-piece flame maple neck, with ebony fingerboard.
*no truss rod!
there are (2) rectangular pieces of aircraft aluminum running the length of the fretboard.
*flame maple veneer on headstock; front, sides, and back.
*jumbo frets, nickle alloy
*custom inlays: mother of pearl, diamond shape, with a split diamond around the center pickup.
*Kahler 2300 pro tremelo.
*(3) off/on switches
*master volume, master tone, 3rd pot now unwired-
*Pickups: originally equipped with a EMG SA assembly, and the 3rd knob was the presence control.
--now has (2) bill lawrence L-280's, and a duncan Little 59 humbucker in the bridge.
*explorer headstock shape, true to scale.
*long tenon set neck
*13 degree tilt back headstock
*graphtec nut, with locking kahler nut mounted behind it.

*Wood: the Flame maple used on the top and neck, and veneers, was from a large timber
(143 years old as of 2018) salvaged from a barn in Illinois.

The honduras was acquired long before there were conservation laws on that particular wood
(blank dates back to pre-1980).

design criteria:

the les paul connection:
the basics of the les paul (the obvious basics) are:

slab mahogony body;
maple top;
strings on top of body;
2 piece maple neck;
glued in neck, long tenon;
tilt back headstock, no string trees required.

later, in 2008, they started weight relieving the standards, but remember, i built this in 1986.
so, the Gibson nod starts there.

This one has:
Honduras mahagony body -- maple top -- strings on top of body via the Kahler -- 2 piece maple neck
-- a glued in neck with long tenon -- tilt back headstock.

My design tried to improve on my favorite aspects of the 4 different guitars, the mustang, explorer, strat and paul.

for example:

*the volute on the explorer headstock is inherently stronger than the les paul (commonly known over time for breaks at the neck),
plus i liked the headstock shape

*the weight relief is secondary-- the sound cavities i had routed strictly for that semi-acoustic property,
making the guitar, at stage volume, extremely lively - this followed the basics of the Brian May Red Special,
which was my starting point. his guitar is designed more like a 335 than mine, but i went there as much as i could
without floating the top over a central beam

*the ebony fretboard brings out more les paul-style tonal characteristics than, say, a rosewood fretboard would have

*the glue in neck was a must, and unlike the les paul, which has that awkward heel, mine is smoothed out right into the back of the body, without so
much as a line, almost invisible. the tonal effect with the glued in neck, and the long tenon is an obvious connection to the les paul lineage

*the tilt back headstock was unnecessary with the kahler locking nut, but i added it anyway,
feeling that the downward pressure of the strings still helps to maintain a strong connection to the neck,
vibration wise, and this is very much in les paul territory

*the strings on top, versus thru the body, is a very important link to the overall sound,
and the use of the kahler is a great way to bridge the gap between a stop tailpiece and a floating trem.

*though Kahler did not have it then, they now have a 'hybrid' tailpiece, that can lock as a hard tail, or float as a trem.
best of both. i have one on my '84 Carvin DC200k, and will eventually updgrade this one with one as well.
aen
Turdscreamer

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
Hidden: 
theshadowofseattle wrote:

just thought i'd share, in case anyone else is thinking about custom builds.

The Williams Special

The Williams Special is a Les Paul-Strat-Mustang-Explorer hybrid, with hollow body cavities, Mustang scale length,
built like a paul with mahagony and maple top, with vintage-dimension strat body, explorer headstock.

(semi-related: my first 'good' guitar was a '75 Fender Mustang.)

This guitar was commissioned in 1986.

It is a Gibson Les paul-Fender strat-Fender mustang-Gibson explorer HYBRID.
-built by Stan Williams, Rome Georgia.

-based on the Fender Mustang scale length at 24.0"....this design is also similar to brian may's red special.

*honduras mahogany body, with air cavities carved in the body below the maple top.
*flame maple top, 3/8" thick.
*vintage-dimension strat body.
*2-piece flame maple neck, with ebony fingerboard.
*no truss rod!
there are (2) rectangular pieces of aircraft aluminum running the length of the fretboard.
*flame maple veneer on headstock; front, sides, and back.
*jumbo frets, nickle alloy
*custom inlays: mother of pearl, diamond shape, with a split diamond around the center pickup.
*Kahler 2300 pro tremelo.
*(3) off/on switches
*master volume, master tone, 3rd pot now unwired-
*Pickups: originally equipped with a EMG SA assembly, and the 3rd knob was the presence control.
--now has (2) bill lawrence L-280's, and a duncan Little 59 humbucker in the bridge.
*explorer headstock shape, true to scale.
*long tenon set neck
*13 degree tilt back headstock
*graphtec nut, with locking kahler nut mounted behind it.

*Wood: the Flame maple used on the top and neck, and veneers, was from a large timber
(143 years old as of 2018) salvaged from a barn in Illinois.

The honduras was acquired long before there were conservation laws on that particular wood
(blank dates back to pre-1980).

design criteria:

the les paul connection:
the basics of the les paul (the obvious basics) are:

slab mahogony body;
maple top;
strings on top of body;
2 piece maple neck;
glued in neck, long tenon;
tilt back headstock, no string trees required.

later, in 2008, they started weight relieving the standards, but remember, i built this in 1986.
so, the Gibson nod starts there.

This one has:
Honduras mahagony body -- maple top -- strings on top of body via the Kahler -- 2 piece maple neck
-- a glued in neck with long tenon -- tilt back headstock.

My design tried to improve on my favorite aspects of the 4 different guitars, the mustang, explorer, strat and paul.

for example:

*the volute on the explorer headstock is inherently stronger than the les paul (commonly known over time for breaks at the neck),
plus i liked the headstock shape

*the weight relief is secondary-- the sound cavities i had routed strictly for that semi-acoustic property,
making the guitar, at stage volume, extremely lively - this followed the basics of the Brian May Red Special,
which was my starting point. his guitar is designed more like a 335 than mine, but i went there as much as i could
without floating the top over a central beam

*the ebony fretboard brings out more les paul-style tonal characteristics than, say, a rosewood fretboard would have

*the glue in neck was a must, and unlike the les paul, which has that awkward heel, mine is smoothed out right into the back of the body, without so
much as a line, almost invisible. the tonal effect with the glued in neck, and the long tenon is an obvious connection to the les paul lineage

*the tilt back headstock was unnecessary with the kahler locking nut, but i added it anyway,
feeling that the downward pressure of the strings still helps to maintain a strong connection to the neck,
vibration wise, and this is very much in les paul territory

*the strings on top, versus thru the body, is a very important link to the overall sound,
and the use of the kahler is a great way to bridge the gap between a stop tailpiece and a floating trem.

*though Kahler did not have it then, they now have a 'hybrid' tailpiece, that can lock as a hard tail, or float as a trem.
best of both. i have one on my '84 Carvin DC200k, and will eventually updgrade this one with one as well.

FARTBARF
Dillon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the bridge / bridge pickup placement and shorter overall length on the single coil model? Is it an short scale?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FFO 2015

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon wrote:
What's with the bridge / bridge pickup placement and shorter overall length on the single coil model? Is it an short scale?

Apparently it's a hardwired capo version. In a robroe thread and all.

Quote:
The 21.5" short-scale of the Reverend Billy Corgan Terz allows for punchy, shimmering tones with a G-C-F-A#-D-G tuning rather than capoing at the third fret.

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY, all that time and effort I can save by not putting a capo on my more-flexible existing guitars
plopswagon

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville tuning?
paul_

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nashville tuning utilizes light/unwound strings on a regular scale so that the 4 heavier strings can be tuned a whole octave higher (like a 12-string without the original notes); this seems to be a guitar that you whack heavier strings on and tune up merely because it's too small, like an Erlewine Chiquita but without the McFly/Tufnel recognition.

Totally pointless and likely just to make it seem like Corgan isn't actually miserable as fuck switching to Reverend. A couple years ago he was sticking AV 57 necks on his signature Strats that he used live because he hated the necks on them. I don't think he knows what he wants.

I've heard him describe his Reverends as having "a more modern top-end," most likely meaning he didn't even like the fact that his signature Strats had DiMarzio buckers running through 250k pots (totally a "modern" sound FYI, just a shitty and sludgey metal one).

robertOG wrote:
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a price for the wee guitar? I need a good laugh.
Doog
can i get uhhh

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtf does Billy Corgan know about "modern"?
paul_

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
Is there a price for the wee guitar? I need a good laugh.

£950

robertOG wrote:
Noirie.
YOUTH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh... it would seem they actually usually cost $1200, same as the full-scale dual pickup model. I was honestly very shocked to see it listed for as much as $999.99 retail in the States and instantly thought "god I hope it isn't a thousand frigging quid over there" due to experience with Fender/Gibson flipping the ol' currency symbol and nothing else.

Sure enough, the world is still a vampire.

And they hilariously seem to lose a lot of value just by getting bought. All but one of the full scale ones currently on Reverb are $700-$950.

robertOG wrote:
ultratwin
The 25.5" subversion

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't the Beach Boys use a freakishly short scale guitar to get those Wouldn't It Be Nice opening coupletoanz?

I imagine you'd still have to strongRoe a capo way up the neck on the Rev to get that high with open voicings.

Link
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> All Other Guitars All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: