ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Squier VMM Mustang.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Acidhouse

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:34 am    Post subject: Squier VMM Mustang. Reply with quote

Yes, VMM Vintage Modified modified. So far, I’ve replaced the bridge, knobs and pickups. I swapped the DDs with a neck and middle set of Am Strat pickups from 2005. The VM is a great platform and doesn’t need much but a couple of tweaks can take these Mustangs to a different level.

[img]https://flic.kr/p/2jswzUb[/img]
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here ya go
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot how much I like the look of those necks (dug the thicc feel of them too).

My issues with mine were mostly bridge related, which subsequent owners sorted out after I sold it. Also the absolute palest sonic blue ever, I really think that color was a mistake. Is that the original tort? It looks nice with the cream covers (the knobs and vibrato arm should be stained to match IMHO)
jagsonic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice mustang. Love the colorcombination.
Acidhouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for fixing the picture. Somehow I’ve become tech dumb with posting pics. Yeah it’s the original guard. I really hate the cheap look of the pickguard but it works better with the pickup covers. I would like to stain the knobs and arm but I’ve never had luck doing it. I’ve tried the sun, coffee, pickle juice and my white plastics stay Clorox white. I actually like the pale sonic blue look.
Doog
mid-century modem

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Acidhouse wrote:
Thanks for fixing the picture. Somehow I’ve become tech dumb with posting pics.

You need the full path to post on this creaky old forum, so like http://www.greatguitars.com/imgs/wangcaster.jpg or whatever

Looking good! I like the turbo-aged cream vibes against the (surprisingly nice-looking) tort and pale sonic blue, very retro.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The website you hosted the image on doesn't show the file path for the images. I had to right click + view page source in order to find the image files (ctrl+f ".jpg") and got lucky on the first try.

It's been about 10 years since I've stained anything but when I did I think I used hot coffee (not leaving the parts in for very long). Using a mild abrasive first might also help the stain bond to the plastic.
Acidhouse

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips on posting picks and staining the plastic pieces. I’m wary of hot coffee. I did it one time and it was too hot. I still have the warped Strat knobs. I’m saving them in case I ever want to do a Salvador Dali inspired Strat. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1