ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Original fender Bridge is the best bridge - CHANGE MY MIND
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 48849

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
benecol
Best Poster 2010


Joined: 25 Jan 2011
Posts: 7513
Location: Westcountry

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickS wrote:
benecol wrote:

* When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickS gave me.

Umm.. I've used the little Jazz IIIs for years. I think you must have confused me with someone else.


Curse of the multiple Nicks - will fix original post, apologies that you all look the same to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
gusman2x
.
.


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Posts: 4132
Location: Manchester U.K.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree that the staytrem fills the tone, kills the zing. However... OG bridges can suck my bell.
_________________
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thom
lamp


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 5661
Location: Exeter, UK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind an original bridge, if you know what you're doing they can be set up well. My Jag currently has a mustang bridge on it but with outer Jag barrels to bring the E strings in a bit from the edge of the fretboard.
That's one of the biggest plus points of the Staytrem for me over a regular Mustang bridge - the 52mm spacing rather than 55mm. Interestingly, both the new CV and the Am Pro bridges are 52mm, both 9.5" radius, and the newer Johnny Marr ones are 52mm with 7.25" spacing.
The CV and Am Pro bridges are plated brass saddles...I know we're getting into cork sniffing territory, but all I know is my guitar sounds great! Staytrems are stainless steel.
I'm totally with Doog on the rocking bridge though...Fender even put nylon inserts on the Am Pro bridges to stop the rocking (which I believe is also an option on the Staytrems).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 6482

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only issue i have ever had with a rocking bridge is when the nutt was not set up properly and was binding.

Other than that....butter!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 6482

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
Hurb wrote:
BearBoy wrote:
Nazis who appear to know nothing about their supposed specialised subject.

It’s going to be like the 90s all over again...


I seriously don't get the cracked neck shit? Has anyone ever seen this ?
The guy was pretty passionate about shims being the reason but I have never ever heard of this.


You literally just posted a photo of your cracked neck pocket. Maybe it's the first time he has ever seen this part of a guitar and didnt know all you had to do is pour beer on it.


Haha that was a pocket not a neck!
Plus literally just got it and its never had a shim....sometimes wood just cracks.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21162
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.


Thick picks don't mean you have to play like a caveman though, just saying.

You're the one with the loadsa pick marks all over his scratchplates, like something you'd see on someone's back during an exorcism
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nick
Y'SEE!?


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 8603
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had me up until “or Yamahas”.

Laughing Laughing

But really, neck pocket cracks might have to do with over tightening screws or putting stress on it (maybe using a case that doesn’t have enough room/proper support), many guitars from the factory come with shims, so Confused

Which does beg the question: if this is indeed the proper way the bridge was designed to work, why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 5174

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick wrote:
why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?


The made in USA ones came/come with shims. Newer ones have angled neck pockets but not sure which ones. CIJ are the same but it's a much lesser angle.
_________________
Nick wrote:
COME ON AND SLAM, AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BearBoy
.
.


Joined: 30 Aug 2011
Posts: 6118
Location: Strung up to the lemons

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The JM Jag has an angled neck pocket.
_________________
Fran wrote:
I love how this place is basic as fuck.

ekwatts wrote:
I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NickD
.
.


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 4356
Location: Sheffield, Innit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benecol wrote:
Mustang bridge is my fourth favourite, because it never quite seems to marry up with the JM dimensions and radius.

I like the string radius and spacing on the Mastery, I can get my JM and Jag set up just so, and it's built like a tank. I like the OG bridge, but I found I needed to go back and fettle every now and then, even if I used Loctite. And would still occasionally get strings wandering.


My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

That facebook group does seem like a bunch of dicks though


benecol wrote:
NickS wrote:
benecol wrote:

* When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickS gave me.

Umm.. I've used the little Jazz IIIs for years. I think you must have confused me with someone else.


Curse of the multiple Nicks - will fix original post, apologies that you all look the same to me.


I use Jazz IIIs as well funnily enough, I bought the Matchpiks Tim is talking about in the 90s and never used them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 6482

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickD wrote:


My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

.


Obviously I know you are legit when it comes to guitars. Remember when we built one in your house? But I have to ask what you find shite in the stock bridge? Do you find it s ball ache to setup? Or does it not work and give you problems?

If its the second one...I have either been extremely lucky with all the offset guitars I have worked on. Or I am doing something different to you and others that have issues. Does that make sense? Like I have no issues once setup now, although I admit they gave me challenges early on.

Just watched a video comparison on all jag bridges. The mastery seemed louder but not as nice to my ears.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016033
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

benecol wrote:
THEN YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN ME TOO, GLORIOUS LEADER.

I even use the same green ones as you*.








* When I'm not using my favoured NOS Matchpiks that NickD gave me.


ha! to be fair to you and doog (WHO TOTALLY FOOLED ME JUST THERE WITH HIS NON-DAVA PICKS), my daily drivers are the 1303s (black and red) as opposed to the 508 teals. i got a 1303 in a dava variety pack years ago and got hooked on them. i feel weird using anything other than their picks now, probably one of the more aspects to my musicianship. Laughing
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016033
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robroe wrote:
1.2mm picks? You re like one of those island savages that if your boat gets to close to the island and you make eye contact you are already dead.

Shad thinks my 1.0mm picks are bulldozers.



dava picks are thin in the middle and thicker at the edges. the further "up" you grip them, the stiffer the action. their original marketing was if you held them further "down", they strummed like one of those hippy-dippy thin picks. i just use them because the texturing for some reason makes it so i almost never drop picks.


shads is weird, and he's never had a birthday.
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016033
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
Nick wrote:
why does Fender/Squier not shim the guitars for the factory, or route the neck pockets at the proper angle?


The made in USA ones came/come with shims. Newer ones have angled neck pockets but not sure which ones. CIJ are the same but it's a much lesser angle.


yep, my avri had three little, cardboard shims in it from the factory. still there 15 years later.
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
plopswagon
.
.


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 12976
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote





I don't always use a pick, but when I do I use Tortex Yellows on both guitar and bass.
_________________
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Happy birthday dot


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 5174

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote



Superior plec.
_________________
Nick wrote:
COME ON AND SLAM, AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Nick
Y'SEE!?


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 8603
Location: Albany, NY

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, Ultex FTW. Even if George says they’re wrong because they’re translucent and hard to find on the carpet (just don’t drop them problem solved)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Doog
mid-century modem


Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Posts: 21162
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurb wrote:
NickD wrote:
My Mastery has been rock solid for several years without needing adjustment.

And sorry Hurb, but I know how to set up a bridge and the OG one is utter shite in comparison. I'm not going to file it or owt because its vintage innit.

Obviously I know you are legit when it comes to guitars. Remember when we built one in your house? But I have to ask what you find shite in the stock bridge? Do you find it s ball ache to setup? Or does it not work and give you problems?

If its the second one...I have either been extremely lucky with all the offset guitars I have worked on. Or I am doing something different to you and others that have issues. Does that make sense? Like I have no issues once setup now, although I admit they gave me challenges early on.


As soon as you factor in personal technique plus string and plectrum gauges, there's too many variables to make anything "100% PERFECT" for everyone.

Someone who uses a super flappy pick, playing open chords in between the pickups is gonna have less trouble than a 3mm boi tremolo-picking the fuck out of the strings by the bridge. Different tools for different fools.

I guess nuance doesn't shift YouTube view units, though Wink
_________________
andrew floss musics
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 6482

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doog wrote:
.

I guess nuance doesn't shift YouTube view units, though Wink


Haha! Laughing

My playing has shifted in my old age. I am using my heavy metal picks less and enjoying my 10s the Jaguar...anyone remember when I used to use ZAkk Wylde strings? Lol

Not bought a ts9 yet
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 719156 / 0