ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Budget mics for recording vocals

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:11 pm    Post subject: Budget mics for recording vocals Reply with quote

Total noob here. I have just been offered to buy a Behringer C1 condenser mic, but after reading about it and watching some reviews it turns out it's not what they advertise it to be and supposedly isn't that good. What mic do you use? Is it on a budget side of things or some $100 000 Neumann? What mic would you recommend?
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4732
Location: Halifax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use an Audio Technica AT2020 for vocals, it seems to be a good “all-rounder” in terms of cheap large diaphragm condensers. I’ve had success using it for vocals, on guitar cabs, for drum overheads (I actually have two of these mics), as an ambient room mic, probably various other stuff I can’t think of. I’m not sure how much they’ll cost in Kazakhstan, but here in the UK they’re about £85, bargain!
_________________
BEIGE PALACE | THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mickie08
.
.


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 6123
Location: Carlsbad, Ca

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no expert at all ut I have one of these and seems to work well

Not sure on UK price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CK6Classic--avantone-pro-ck-6-classic-large-diaphragm-condenser-microphone?mrkgadid=3341929069&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938628822&lid=92700046938628822&ds_s_kwgid=58700005287223868&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=743301317734&product_id=CK6Classic&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9031520&creative=353504534353&targetid=aud-314327794548:pla-743301317734&campaignid=2005754838&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvQp7SWHR_IH5Nj6yRHZWlIo-wLqPUMae0QqLe0I-lEJC-oZAiC7wWYaAq-DEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds
_________________
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
dezb1
The Oppressor


Joined: 01 Mar 2009
Posts: 7700
Location: glasgow

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM58 - fuck an mic that wants batteries or spooky power.
_________________
Hurb wrote:
I don't want to live in a world where Fran doesn't play guitar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS


Joined: 17 May 2009
Posts: 4732
Location: Halifax

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM58s are decent, but if you’re gonna go down that route then I’d suggest a Shure Beta 57 instead. All the best bits of the SM57 and the SM58, and more versatile than either of those, IMO.
_________________
BEIGE PALACE | THANK
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Josh
The Curmudgeon


Joined: 17 Nov 2008
Posts: 4985
Location: George

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agree on the beta 57, but I own a couple 58s and like those, also got this harp mic that sounds pretty cool doing vocals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
plopswagon
.
.


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 12775
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn’t matter if you’re just gonna run it through a Rat pedal.
_________________
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Happy birthday dot


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Thom
lamp


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 5583
Location: Exeter, UK

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Focusrite CM25mkiii that came as part of a bundle with the interface. Does a good job as far an I can tell.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddy V-C wrote:
I mostly use an Audio Technica AT2020 for vocals, it seems to be a good “all-rounder” in terms of cheap large diaphragm condensers. I’ve had success using it for vocals, on guitar cabs, for drum overheads (I actually have two of these mics), as an ambient room mic, probably various other stuff I can’t think of. I’m not sure how much they’ll cost in Kazakhstan, but here in the UK they’re about £85, bargain!

Yeah, AT2020 seems to be everyone's favourite mic on a budget. They are close to $200 around here, so a bit on a expensive side considering that our national currency is sort of toilet paper that tends to lose its value just because
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mickie08 wrote:
I am no expert at all ut I have one of these and seems to work well

Not sure on UK price.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CK6Classic--avantone-pro-ck-6-classic-large-diaphragm-condenser-microphone?mrkgadid=3341929069&mrkgcl=28&mrkgen=gpla&mrkgbflag=0&mrkgcat=studio&recording&&acctid=21700000001645388&dskeywordid=92700046938628822&lid=92700046938628822&ds_s_kwgid=58700005287223868&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000007215323&dsproductgroupid=743301317734&product_id=CK6Classic&prodctry=US&prodlang=en&channel=online&storeid=&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&locationid=9031520&creative=353504534353&targetid=aud-314327794548:pla-743301317734&campaignid=2005754838&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8rT8BRCbARIsALWiOvQp7SWHR_IH5Nj6yRHZWlIo-wLqPUMae0QqLe0I-lEJC-oZAiC7wWYaAq-DEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I will look into it, a quick search showed that nothing is available locally, so I don't know how much it costs here yet
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About Sure 57s and 58, they sell them locally, but for some dumb reason( ) I want a condenser mic. So I'll be probably dealing with ghosts and their powah
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

plopswagon wrote:
It doesn’t matter if you’re just gonna run it through a Rat pedal.

Bullshit, you can plug a typewriter in it and it'll still be rocknroll
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thom wrote:
I use a Focusrite CM25mkiii that came as part of a bundle with the interface. Does a good job as far an I can tell.

I've seen that bundle here but I already have a usb interface, so can't go that route
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
plopswagon
.
.


Joined: 18 Jan 2007
Posts: 12775
Location: Behind you. Don't turn around

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunshiner wrote:
plopswagon wrote:
It doesn’t matter if you’re just gonna run it through a Rat pedal.

Bullshit, you can plug a typewriter in it and it'll still be rocknroll



_________________
theshadowofseattle wrote:
Happy birthday dot


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm blasting an riffs in the hot sun. I plugged my typewriter into a Rat and I won
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Noirie.
YOUTH


Joined: 15 Jan 2009
Posts: 5138

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian Rubbish would be proud.
_________________
Nick wrote:
COME ON AND SLAM, AND WELCOME TO THE JAM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9728

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a recommendation per se, but I've been using a Behringer B-1 for like 12 years and it always sounds good for vocals. I've heard the quality is a bit hit-and-miss (like all Behringer/Bugera stuff) with some reviewers going as far as to say "think of it as a short-term rental rather than a purchase" (the MXL990 and AT2020 etc weren't yet on the market when it debuted which is likely the era those reviews hail from; it still costs over $100), but mine has held up well. The first one arrived with a broken shock-mount.

A cheap large diaphram condenser used with a popscreen will generally perform better for low-budget bedroom vocals than any dynamic mic, 58s included. SM58s, like SM57s, aren't actually even that good, they're just an industry standard that doesn't cost too much and is easy to find anywhere, and you can hammer nails with them. People don't use them because of classic mojo or whatever, the Beta 57 Freddy mentioned is more likely to impress in that regard.

Being scared of phantom power is a bit weird in this day and age. I'm pretty sure there's a 48v XLR jack somewhere on my toaster at this point? Certainly any interface or mixer worth a damn.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noirie. wrote:
Ian Rubbish would be proud.

Hey Maggy Thatcher, you're all right!
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
sunshiner
.
.


Joined: 02 Nov 2012
Posts: 4851
Location: Around the corner

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul_ wrote:
Not a recommendation per se, but I've been using a Behringer B-1 for like 12 years and it always sounds good for vocals. I've heard the quality is a bit hit-and-miss (like all Behringer/Bugera stuff) with some reviewers going as far as to say "think of it as a short-term rental rather than a purchase" (the MXL990 and AT2020 etc weren't yet on the market when it debuted which is likely the era those reviews hail from; it still costs over $100), but mine has held up well. The first one arrived with a broken shock-mount.

A cheap large diaphram condenser used with a popscreen will generally perform better for low-budget bedroom vocals than any dynamic mic, 58s included. SM58s, like SM57s, aren't actually even that good, they're just an industry standard that doesn't cost too much and is easy to find anywhere, and you can hammer nails with them. People don't use them because of classic mojo or whatever, the Beta 57 Freddy mentioned is more likely to impress in that regard.

Being scared of phantom power is a bit weird in this day and age. I'm pretty sure there's a 48v XLR jack somewhere on my toaster at this point? Certainly any interface or mixer worth a damn.

Thanks, that's a great perspective on the available choices. Yeah, every interface nowadays has the spooky power. We have Behringer B1s in shops, looks like a viable option though they cost more than AT2020 here, at least right now
_________________
matte30is wrote:
Someone man up and get a balloon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9728

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... I would probably go for the AT2020 or MXL 990 if I were replacing it tomorrow, but those weren't around back when I got mine... it was the cheapest solution on the market.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Effects, Amps & Gear, Pedal Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 713845 / 0