ShortScale Forum Index
www.shortscale.org
Head 'n Neck Above
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
UploaderUploader  

Supersonic with P90s?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3332
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: Supersonic with P90s? Reply with quote

I picked up a Vista series Supersonic from one of my friends. I remember from my old Jagmaster that these pickups are a bit uninspiring so they’re fur the chop. I have a spare set of DiMarzios (Evo2 and Breed) kicking about as well as all the stuff needed to make them splittable but I’m also considering a humbucker sized P90 in the neck instead. Have any of you tried out this combo in one of these?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016979
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9955

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Dream 90 in the neck of my main SG and it's great with the Duncan '59 in the bridge. Best of both worlds if you're going to mix single coils and buckers, in my opinion... YMMW (and what does Slash's dick taste like while we're on the subject Mr Throaty Leadz LMAOOOO)
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3332
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dots wrote:
haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.


I might order in a set of those just to try. They sound right up my street! I think the DiMarzios might be a bit too full on for what I’m really looking for. I’m also a total sucker for the P90 style punch. GFS are great bang for your buck too. I might already have one of them in my parts box too.


paul_ wrote:
I use a Dream 90 in the neck of my main SG and it's great with the Duncan '59 in the bridge.[/size]


Usually this is my go-to for versatility. Either way I’ll def try the dream90 at least!

What capacities are you guys running with the Dream90s?

Thanks for the input!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016979
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thomas wrote:
dots wrote:
haven't used that combo of pickups, but i've been running GFS Dream 90 in the neck and Mean 90 in the bridge of my HH jag for over 10 years. no complaints on crunch, overhead, clarity, beef. most versatile pickup set i've ever had.


I might order in a set of those just to try. They sound right up my street! I think the DiMarzios might be a bit too full on for what I’m really looking for. I’m also a total sucker for the P90 style punch. GFS are great bang for your buck too. I might already have one of them in my parts box too.


i've become a bit of a one-brand guy when it comes to electronics, but at the price point and quality of sound i get, i can't see spending another $50 or more for wound copper and magnets.
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
paul_
.
.


Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Posts: 9955

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.022uf for me, standard for Gibson/humbucker schemes.

I guess the Duncan "Phat Cats" are the primo equivalent of these GFS 90 pickups, but they're actually closer to a P-90.

The GFS Dream 90s are just an overwound single-coil which is built around one humbucker bobbin (so half an open coil humbucker).



And the Mean 90s have a larger bobbin and higher output, increasing the magnetic field



The Duncans have a bobbin closer to the size of a whole PAF, fully populating their baseplate and cover




I agree with dots that pricey pickups aren't always worth it. For me I prioritize having a nice bridge pickup, and the neck pickup can be any old shit that works with it. In my favorite Epiphone LP I have a DiMarzio DP100 in the bridge and a GFS Fat Pat in the neck, that's another great set.
_________________
Aug wrote:
which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? Mad

robertOG wrote:
fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"


Last edited by paul_ on Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3332
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully I can source some here, if not I think the Toneriders are the same thing... I’m going to see if I can buy a spare guard too as I don’t want to hack up the stock one to fit regular shaped pickups in there (I never realised that the routes on these are shaped like the coils instead of the standard humbucker route.

I have some orange caps that are the right capacitance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016979
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, the p90s i am using are humbucker spaced by design. that was attractive to me when i originally selected them as the dragster humbuckers the HH jag comes with stock didn't clean up as crisp or drive as hard as i wanted.

i also put a set of GFS gold foil p90s in my toronado to replace the uninspired fender p90s. i need to shave down the bridge pickup cavity a little bit, though, as i think the pickup is about 1/8" too close to the strings. i don't have any complaints on tone, but it just doesn't look right and leads me to believe there could be something off.
_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3332
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I think that it’s definitely the laws of diminishing returns, especially especially once you go past SD prices. I have phat cats in my Eastman and they are great pickups.

It’s interesting to see the construction of the GFS models. The one in my parts box is a Warman version. Pretty similar construction it seems. I might try that with the Evo in the bridge (it sounds decent split too) at first then buy in some replacements if needed.

Probably the best sounding p90 I’ve ever had I bought from someone on here yonks ago. It was an SD antiquity. I’d love to go down that route but I don’t want to hack up the old supersonic. Tho I’ll have a look at the routing under the guard I crack it open tomorrow to see what the state of play is.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR


Joined: 02 Jun 2017
Posts: 1502
Location: Florida->Michigan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just adding another +1 to the Dream 90, I use one in the bridge of a single pickup strat I put together, it’s a great choice.
_________________
Hurb wrote:
I love Jizz

Al_ wrote:
I prefer to squeeze balls.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dots
BADmin


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 1016979
Location: on the move

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and if you get the chrome version, you can look really cool like this.


_________________
Check out Runway Runaway by Saturday's Child
robroe wrote:
im wearing my heart on my sleeve and my lips on my asssssssss
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Thomas
.
.


Joined: 09 Oct 2008
Posts: 3332
Location: Glasgow, UK

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Tho this is white so I’ll most likely go for black.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreenKnee
.
.


Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 632
Location: Sheffield

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.
I've had the DiMarzio bluesbucker recommended to me, and I've been looking at the Mississippi Queen by Bareknuckle.

I love the zebra stripe aesthetic of the stock pickups so might give a bluesbucker a try. Apparently the main coil is wound big and wide like a P90 and then the slug coil is just for bucking the hum.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO


Joined: 20 Apr 2006
Posts: 62618
Location: Skrampa, FL

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenKnee wrote:
I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.
I've had the DiMarzio bluesbucker recommended to me, and I've been looking at the Mississippi Queen by Bareknuckle.

I love the zebra stripe aesthetic of the stock pickups so might give a bluesbucker a try. Apparently the main coil is wound big and wide like a P90 and then the slug coil is just for bucking the hum.


I have the Bluesbucker in my SGuar and it is awesome.
_________________
Fakir Mustache wrote:
Classic Shad Deluxe.

Nick wrote:
Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GreenKnee
.
.


Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Posts: 632
Location: Sheffield

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

theshadowofseattle wrote:
GreenKnee wrote:
I've just received a blue sparkle super-sonic and was thinking about P90s as too.
I've had the DiMarzio bluesbucker recommended to me, and I've been looking at the Mississippi Queen by Bareknuckle.

I love the zebra stripe aesthetic of the stock pickups so might give a bluesbucker a try. Apparently the main coil is wound big and wide like a P90 and then the slug coil is just for bucking the hum.


I have the Bluesbucker in my SGuar and it is awesome.


That's good to know, the people who have them love them so I'm definitely leaning that way. Plus the DiMarzio are a much more sensible price than a set of Bareknuckles
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ShortScale Forum Index -> Short Scales All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1


Powered by phpBB 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Anti Bot Question MOD - phpBB MOD against Spam Bots
Blocked registrations / posts: 745422 / 0