So what IS a PROPER Shoegaze Guitar???

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Mages wrote:I first heard of them from a facebook ad that said, "like my bloody valentine? check out the joy formidable!" which is just baffling. you're right, they're not really that bad, they're doing their thing and it's fine enough. but they've made the most notable thing about themselves that they think they sound like MBV when they don't. it just makes you think that it's either some sort of calculated attempt to build blog buzz or they've missed the mark entirely on what they're trying to sound like.
I actually kind of like their sound. But I don't get the MBV comparison. At all. The friend who recommended them to me said, despite the fact that he ought to know better, that they sounded like Sonic Youth. Also baffling.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Couple of teles here... looks like Neil Halstead's is standard and Rachel Goswell's has humbuckers... but hard to tell.

Great, great song.

[youtube][/youtube]
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

singlepickup24 wrote:Couple of teles here... looks like Neil Halstead's is standard and Rachel Goswell's has humbuckers... but hard to tell.

Great, great song.

[youtube][/youtube]
From what I've gathered, Halstead used Teles quite a lot when performing with Slowdive. So even if the T-model isn't that prominent in everything shoegaze, at least one of the "bigger" names that used it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

fender custom shop bigsby-master

[youtube][/youtube]

not custom shop. i made all that up. when i screen capped it, the thing is stickerless

better views in this

2 toggleys. 2 pickups, 2 knobbys, 1 bigsby

[youtube][/youtube]
dots wrote:incesticide
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I forget that band is well known outside of KC.

when I was in High school, it was the only cool indie kids that listened to Appleseed Cast. Their music has grown on me but I still associate their music with douchebags.
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

SKC Willie wrote:I forget that band is well known outside of KC.

when I was in High school, it was the only cool indie kids that listened to Appleseed Cast. Their music has grown on me but I still associate their music with douchebags.
Oxymoron?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

popular as in me and like 10 other kids in buffalo have heard them?

i wouldn't call them well known at all. they never put out a "hit" what they did was put out 5 or 6 of the most amazing complete albums ever.

even thier b-sides/7" collection album is fucking great.

i used to play them on the radio every friday night on my radio show from 1999-2001. for those couple of years, before emo got pushed into the malls and ruined, they were the most respected band in my circle for song craft. the songs were never poppy, or had a hook, but you could sit there and listen to mare vatalis from start to end and never think about skipping a song.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

whenever i wore an appleseed cast shirt to a show, i would always get compliments on it from guys in touring bands. like people i never met in my life would just come up to me and say THATS A GREAT FUCKING BAND. the normal people there to watch the show could give a fuck
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

I mean the fact that you've even heard of them says something. I don't know any local bands from Buffalo. For that kind of music I would say they're doing pretty well.
twitter.com/skcwillie

vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

SKC Willie wrote:I mean the fact that you've even heard of them says something. I don't know any local bands from Buffalo. For that kind of music I would say they're doing pretty well.
I listened to them as early as 2003, and I'm from Nowhere, Sweden.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah but every American indie band that has at least 3 fans stateside is fucking MASSIVE in Europe.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

paul_ wrote:Yeah but every American indie band that has at least 3 fans stateside is fucking MASSIVE in Europe.
Have you ever been to Sweden? :lol:
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yes.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

paul_ wrote:Yes.
I discovered Appleseed Cast through a "friend" who had been in the US and who in turn were introduced to them (alongside The Promise Ring) by an American relative. He sent me some songs, but it was first in 2007 that I saw an album by them for sale on a Swedish website. So no, they weren't huge until the emo wave had hit Scandinavia (2006/7->).

How did you like Sweden? Any special places you visited? :)
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I guy I used to jam with turned me on to Appleseed Cast about a year ago. So they're known in California, nor and so.

I thought they were more post rock than shoegaze? Genres are often stupid, but they certainly don't sound like MBV to me.

Their drummer is pretty sick.
vierphoria

Post by vierphoria »

singlepickup24 wrote:
I thought they were more post rock than shoegaze? Genres are often stupid, but they certainly don't sound like MBV to me.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

whatever, they fucking rule.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

SKC Willie wrote:I don't know any local bands from Buffalo.
There is this band called the Goo Goo Dolls that have a bit of a following..... :P
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

mezzio13 wrote:
SKC Willie wrote:I don't know any local bands from Buffalo.
There is this band called the Goo Goo Dolls that have a bit of a following..... :P
haha. I was thinking more like . . . smaller bands. Puddle of Mudd is from KC. F YEAH!
twitter.com/skcwillie

drBenway

Post by drBenway »