"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!!

Plug your music, photography, graphics, shows of any kind or other creative works.

Moderated By: mods

batsbrew

"The Time Is Magic" - guitar tweakers unite!!

Post by batsbrew »

http://soundcloud.com/bats-brew/bb01-the-time-is-magic

recording setup:

i use a pc based DAW, Sonar pro edition 6.0

i have a maudio audiophile 192 sound card, with analog and digital inputs.
i have (2) mic pres, a ART DPS with (2) tube pres and a digital convertor in it, and a A Designs Audio MP-1 class A tube mic preamp (mono).
i route either of these thru a DBX MC-6 compressor, and either directly into the ART convertor, or to the soundcard analog inputs, with conversion occurring at the card.

i use toontracks Superior drummer, and Sony Acid, for drum tracks. i use real drums whenever i can get a drummer to work for free!
LOL

guitar rig:
my current recording technique (guitars) using a Weber Mass Lite and Palmer PDI-09.

this is for all you guys who are looking for a 'quiet' way to capture full bore tube amp sounds into Sonar, without getting evicted or divorced.

http://taweber.powweb.com/weber/masslite.htm

it works pretty well..

here's how i use it:

i go Mesa boogie Mark IIb 60 watt tube head /speaker out (8 or 4 ohm, it doesn't matter) into the Palmer PDI-09.

so, boogie speaker out into palmer 'INPUT', and then back out via the 'THRU', and that goes to the Weber, for attenuation.

From the Weber, 'speaker out' to whatever cab i want to use (i have a demeter isolation cabinet available, if i want to play loud, the celestion greenback cab if i want to monitor 'open air'.)

idea here is, if i want to record in the headphones, i can attenuate the piss out of the boogie, put it in the demeter, and you can't hear almost anything.....
if i want to play loud, and play along with my monitors blasting my backing tracks, i can use my closed back 1x12 with the celestion, or into the demter, and play as loud as i want.. the palmer doesn't know the difference, only the weber comes into play, and since i'm not micing, there's no bleed over from the guitar cab and the monitors......

so, the 'BAL. OUT' on the palmer, is an XLR out, that goes to my mic preamp, digital convertor, and into SONAR.
the switches on the top of the palmer give me line level attenuation, and 3 different 'cab and mic' sounds.
i like the NORMAL setting the best. It's all passive, the weber and the palmer, so i'm not introducing any kind of electrical noise at either of these two units.

bass rig:
i use either a Carvin LB70, or a Ibanez Micro short scale...
run it into both a sansamp bass di and the boogie, set for bass tone.
i blend the two signals together, to a single buss, and compress the whole on mixdown.

guitar rig:

in the clip, it shows the tone you can get in Position #4 on the vintage white strat, with a Bill Lawrence 500L Humbucker and a middle position L280 pickup together, along with a Q filter on the tone control, that varies the inductance on the pickup(s) (it shows position #2 in the pic)

batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

wow, it's been a week....
time for a bump.
bump.
lorez

Post by lorez »

Sorry mate not had chance to listen, will check,out tomorrow
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Haze

Post by Haze »

nice post! The bass sounds especially awesome, great mix ~(bravo)
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

thanks haze!
the bass was really fun to track.
i can go straight, funk or swing with the bass, and this was definitely more on the funky side......
channeling my inner stevie wonder....
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

lorez
Sorry mate not had chance to listen, will check,out tomorrow
that's cool man, just let me know later...
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

NickS

Post by NickS »

Oops, looks like we can't find that page!
batsbrew

Post by batsbrew »

ya, i pulled it.

it had been up long enough.