Metal guitar GAS

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I will own one of these someday!
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

I bet that plays like a dream (with gain and/or distortion anyways), but god damn, it's ugly!
To each their own, though!
I do like purple.
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

gaybear wrote:I bet that plays like a dream (with gain and/or distortion anyways), but god damn, it's ugly!
To each their own, though!
My thoughts exactly.
Metal guitars are weird, its like there is a really fine line between cool and ugly that cannot be described.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fran wrote: Metal guitars are weird, its like there is a really fine line between cool and ugly that cannot be described.
Not really. Case in point Blazer 4.0. The pickups are actually Ibanez Super 80s with gold flying fingers covers, so the thing will be a metal machine. Now I just need a new pickguard and bridge and it's back in business

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

Nick, I absolutely love that guitar.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Mo Rawka wrote:Nick, I absolutely love that guitar.
Me too, glad the whole thing's back together...I sold the neck to Mages a while back and he was kind enough to give me first dibs when he was done with it. The last time around I tried to make it a little of everything with the Duncan 59', Phat Cat, and P-Rails combo, which was a little much for me...when you can compare that many different tones in one guitar you end up only using one which defeats the purpose. I think I'll be much happier with it set up as a double humbucker guitar, especially now that I'm in this punk side project thing with my band that I could really get to use it for...the pickups are pretty much straight Super Distortion copies, they came out of my drummer's dad's old Ibanez Artist and I've had them kicking around for years. Seems only fitting that they go in another Ibanez.
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I know some shortscalers mayyyyy be interested in this understated jem.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Anyone ever played the fender Katana?. It looks very Spinal Tap...

LINKY
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Thomas wrote:Anyone ever played the fender Katana?.
Yeah, my friend had one in the early 90's. It wasn't great to be fair, i remember the tremolo had parts falling off it and it felt awkward. I'd still like one now though :lol:
Nick wrote:
Fran wrote: Metal guitars are weird, its like there is a really fine line between cool and ugly that cannot be described.
Not really. Case in point Blazer 4.0.
What i mean is something like the BC Rich Mockingbird, me and you like them (although you like the Burny model) yet it is still a Metal guitar that most players find ugly. There is the good and the ugly, nothing in between.
I've never seen the Blazer as a Metal guitar to be honest, more like a Fat Strat, even down to the factory colour choices on the design.
Last edited by Fran on Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fran wrote:
Yeah, my friend had one in the early 90's. It wasn't great to be fair, i remember the tremolo had parts falling off it and it felt awkward. I'd still like one now though :lol:
I've really wanted one for a while... While they're not great, they're fuckin' awesome :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Ankhanu wrote:
Fran wrote:
I've really wanted one for a while... While they're not great, they're fuckin' awesome :P
The Fender Performer is at the top of my guitars i will never own list :wink:
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

Fran wrote:The Fender Performer is at the top of my guitars i will never own list :wink:
Whoa! I'd never heard of those... they're also kinda awesome.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Fran wrote:
Hahaha! I'm happy nto say that doesn't surprise me LOL
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fran wrote:What i mean is something like the BC Rich Mockingbird, me and you like them (although you like the Burny model) yet it is still a Metal guitar that most players find ugly. There is the good and the ugly, nothing in between.
I've never seen the Blazer as a Metal guitar to be honest, more like a Fat Strat, even down to the factory colour choices on the design.
I like the BC Rich's too, I had GAS for one of the natural neck thru ones for quite a while, though I never acted on it.

I get what you're saying, nobody will say a Fat Strat with high output pickups is visually unpleasing, but things like purple ibanezes and Mockingbirds are a love or hate thing that most players will find gaudy in one way or another.

Fuck it though I think all guitars are awesome in their own way. In some cases the uglier the better:

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

^Haha, i love that. Its just pure fucking mental!

I'm in the process of making an offer for my friends MIJ Jackson Professional. I set it up for him last year and have wanted it since. Watch this space kids :wink:
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

I got the Jackson last night, its a MIJ 'Fusion Series' Professional with a Bill Lawrence pup in the bridge. Used it at our gig, dive bombing on 'Pretty Vacant' FTFW!! :lol:

Its like a really dark metallic bottle green but looks black in the pic..
JJLipton

Post by JJLipton »

I love it!! Record some demos!
NickD

Post by NickD »

Fran, that is awesome.

I don't necessarily like the looks of a lot of metal guitars, but I like a lot of 80's thrash and metal, and that Peavey I got from you a few years is great for chugging riffs and (bad) shredding. The thin neck and teh Floyd are spot on for it.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

JJLipton wrote:I love it!! Record some demos!
Haha, after watching your shred demos i dont think i could do it justice dude. I'll see what i can do when i get some time though :wink:
NickD wrote:Fran, that is awesome.

I don't necessarily like the looks of a lot of metal guitars, but I like a lot of 80's thrash and metal, and that Peavey I got from you a few years is great for chugging riffs and (bad) shredding. The thin neck and teh Floyd are spot on for it.
Cheers Nick. Glad you still have that Peavey, it was a fun guitar and inspired the Thrash!
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Been looking at pickups, i think that bridge pup in the Jackson might actually be a DiMarzio X2N, not a Bill Lawrence as the guy had though that sold it me. Sounds good either way and makes me pull Scott Ian faces.