Guitar Tech in Central Scotland?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

chrismakesgod

Guitar Tech in Central Scotland?

Post by chrismakesgod »

I'm in need of a tech to completely re-wire my mustang. The guy who I've taken it to several times keeps saying he's fixed it and I get it back with the same problem (The switches don't work at all).

So fuck taking it back to him. I'm basically going to put new everything in it. The Neck Humbucker he put it doesn't seem to work properly, it just causes shit loads of static. So i need someone in central Scotland to wire in a new neck humbucker, a volume pot, a new jack and a 3 way selector switch in place of the tone control.

If you know anyone who is able to undertake this work, and you know they're not going to fuck it up, I'd appreciate any info. Cheers.
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

I've heard good things about Billy at Guitar Guitar in Glasgow. Never had him work on anything of mine, but he set up my mate's Jazzmaster pretty well for a reasonable price, and the shop he works in is chock-full of Mustangs.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Just off the phone with him, £30 quid for a full re-wire if i provide the components, not too bad. Think I'll go to him when I get a custom guard sorted out.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

jimmy egypt in glasgow's pretty good (not necessarily him personally, but one of the guys that worked for him made a good job of a mustang for me a few years ago).
UlricvonCatalyst

stewart wrote:jimmy egypt in glasgow's pretty good (not necessarily him personally, but one of the guys that worked for him made a good job of a mustang for me a few years ago).
He also destroyed the best acoustic I ever owned, so FUCK THAT FUCKING BUTCHER! FUCKPIG!!!
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

stewart wrote:jimmy egypt in glasgow's pretty good (not necessarily him personally, but one of the guys that worked for him made a good job of a mustang for me a few years ago).
Yeah, I always do work on my mates Gibson V. He used to go to Jimmy Egypt until he went in to get a new pickup installed, Jimmy opened up the back panel and said "wow, this is a complete dogs dinner! Who the hell worked on this?!". You can guess his reply I bet. Yup it was Jimmy. He swiftly headed home, guitar in hand. (if you think you've heard that story before you probably have cos I've told it here before. It's suck a good example of an own goal.)

Also avoid Strung Out Guitars. they'll tell you your guitar needs loads of work to it, no matter what you're taking it in for. Total pirates.

If I was going with a shop I'd def say Billy in Guitar Guitar.

If you have the patience buy a decent soldering iron and practice. Most people I know who have had trouble with soldering seem to have lots of bother cos they're using crappy soldering irons that aren't maintained properly. Decent gear makes it much easier.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Don't want to be dealing with no Butcher Fuckpigs.

I'd love to do the work myself, but the guitar has been fucked for months and i just want it sorted.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

haha. oh well. give egypt a miss then. they came recommended to me by a friend, too. remind me to give him a slap.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Guitar Guitar it is then. I want it to be a good quality job, not a mess of wire and a half arsed job of installing the new pickup. Just the pickguard that's holding me back. I feel a bit cheap, but I can't be doing with spending 50 quid on a sheet of plastic.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

£30 is a decent price for wiring it up too.
UlricvonCatalyst

chrismakesgod wrote:Guitar Guitar it is then. I want it to be a good quality job, not a mess of wire and a half arsed job of installing the new pickup. Just the pickguard that's holding me back. I feel a bit cheap, but I can't be doing with spending 50 quid on a sheet of plastic.
I got my Mustang scratchplate off an eBay seller in France (?) for about £16. Okay, it sounds like yours is non-standard, but a lot of the people doing them for cheap will do them to pretty much any spec you can think of. Shop around for Mustang guards, look up sellers' 'other items', and if you find someone doing a bunch of cheap scratchplates ask them about special orders. Can't see how an extra-large rout could push the price up to anything like £50.
Empires

Post by Empires »

Might be a bit late but if guitarguitar don't come through then check out 'Strung Out Guitars'
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Avoid Strung out. They're expensive and will try to push up the price/work you need done. They're the guitar equivalent of the plumber that comes round and sucks air in through is teeth then says "oh, I don't like the look of that" etc. They're total pirates that have only lasted as long as they have cos there's enough people that don't know what they're doing and swallow their bullshit.

Also as far as your pick guard goes there's an ebay seller fron the Netherlands that pops up often who offers all kinda guards for a good price. Unfortunately his guards are total shit and he posts them in plain envelopes so avoid him. I tried to look him up there's nothing up for sale right now.

Rant over.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Thomas wrote:£30 is a decent price for wiring it up too.
+1, its very good considering Mustangs are a pain in the arse to wire up, fiddly switches with little room in the cavity..
UlricvonCatalyst

Thomas wrote:Avoid Strung out. They're expensive and will try to push up the price/work you need done. They're the guitar equivalent of the plumber that comes round and sucks air in through is teeth then says "oh, I don't like the look of that" etc. They're total pirates that have only lasted as long as they have cos there's enough people that don't know what they're doing and swallow their bullshit.

Also as far as your pick guard goes there's an ebay seller fron the Netherlands that pops up often who offers all kinda guards for a good price. Unfortunately his guards are total shit and he posts them in plain envelopes so avoid him. I tried to look him up there's nothing up for sale right now.

Rant over.
+1 on Strung Out highway robbers.

Maybe my Mustang guard came from that same eBay seller (I wasn't 100% sure if they were French, but NL rings a bell) - it was certainly cheap and arrived without lots of reinforcement in the package. Got here in one piece, though, so not a problem. The only trouble is it needs a bit of filing to fit around the trem plate. Heigh ho - beats paying £50 or whatever for a real Fender one in a limited choice of colours.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Will CTS pots and an epiphone style 3-way fit on an unmodified mustang control plate? Just so I know if I'd have to drill it out.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Not a CIJ control plate, im sure the holes are smaller on the CIJ. You can enlarge them with a round file, its difficult to enlarge an existing hole with a drill bit, be easier with a tapered reamer.
chrismakesgod

Post by chrismakesgod »

Thanks for the tips on strung out.
And cheers for the advice Fran, do you know if the CTS pot and the 3-wat switch will fit in the cavity? Just so i know if i would need to rout it any. I can save a couple quid if i do this stuff myself.