For Fans of: Matt Hodges, Fran, Tony Iommi

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

James
Nutmeg

For Fans of: Matt Hodges, Fran, Tony Iommi

Post by James »

I recently bought a black Westbury Standard from ebay. I've been considering one for years but never quite felt the urge to buy one and see how I took to it. I've been wanting an MIJ black Les Paul Custom copy but the Westburys go for under half the price so I figured it was worth a shot especially as the Les Pauls are thin on the ground at the moment.

It was listed with a few blurry pictures, the strings the wrong way round the tuning post on the G, B and high E, a Red switch tip (the new amber) and an odd holograph sticker between the pickups. I was a little concerned that the sticker would be a bastard to get off or there would be damage underneath, but I justified it by thinking that these rarely come with the case and if it is a disaster under there I'll just replace it with a plain black sticker. Luckily it was a vinyl type that was easy to peal away with next to no residue.

The only long lasting problem with it as I got it was that the bridge was missing two of the intonation screws but I managed to find a similar type at work and replace them for free. Not a perfect fit as they're too big to be recessed like the others, and they don't reach the full length of the bridge but they do reach far back enough for it to intonate so that's good enough for me. The alternative would be a whole new bridge. It does have a small chip off the nut next to the low E but there's enough of it left not to make any difference.

Here are some a couple of pics of how it arrived followed by the original ebay pics.

► Show Spoiler
The pickups sound immense. I believe it's a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a PAF type in the neck. After a few years of mostly single coils it's amazing how throaty and aggressive these sound.

I've installed Tony Iommi style chrome robroes with black pickup rings and black mounting hardware. I've never been a fan of the 'how many screws can we fit on this pikcguard before it resembles a WWI battleship' approach to guitar aesthetics and definitely prefer things to look as uncluttered as possible in that sense. As far as I can tell the covers don't make a noticeable difference to the sound but I've waited until after changing those parts to put new strings on so it's not easy to directly compare. I'll wait a week or two and then take the covers off and see if they do change things much.

The only thing I dislike about it in the 'honeymoon period' is that it doesn't have slot-head tuners. Not that they should be expected on a guitar of this style but I much prefer them to the 'try and avoid stabbing the end of your finger when you do the high strings' standard type.

The headstock logo looks classier than I thought it would, the two-tone 'W'. The German carve on the body is a nice touch and it has a generous rib counter on the back (I forgot to take a picture but it reaches down to near where the neck would come if it were a neck-thru).

These are possibly the best guitar deal around at the moment. I honestly don't think you can buy a better guitar for less than £200. I suppose you could find a one-off deal that defies market value but when these come up for sale they're regularly £180-210, though quite often they've been gutted for the pickpus. Maybe a Yamaha SG200 comes close for value but I've not played one to compare. This one cost me £190 + 15 for the new parts (I already had a few small bits towards it).

So here it is as it looks now. If you look at the D and G on the bridge you can see the new screws sticking out a bit. From the playing view, looking back past the bridge pickup, it looks a bit like a poor man's Mastery. I've tuned it to a quite silly, but fun to play, CGCGCD. Let the stoner doom commence.
► Show Spoiler
Shabba.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Straight class. Matt would be proud.
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

looks great.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Congratz James!! :D
That case looks like it could be original too, i had one stamped 'Westbury' but it had nearly worn off completely.
I agree Westburys are one of the last classics you can score for sub £300, these and the Yamaha SG200's. Perhaps the odd Vox and Vantage too. Them original 70's cream DiM's are what Kurdtz fitted in his Jaggie btw (but you know that), hang on to them.

Personally i'd choose one of these over a cheap Gibson, anyday.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

tastefully done and looks tasty!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
lorez

Post by lorez »

That looks very sweet James, nice snag
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Looks great. How heavy/light does it feel?
damienblair17

Post by damienblair17 »

I love the way the guitar looks and the red switch tip is awesome.
Doog wrote:The perfect marriage of Teh Kurdtz and Teh Durstz.
RUN AMOK!

KESSEL RUN!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Looks ace! I would love one of these guitars.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Fran wrote:That case looks like it could be original too, i had one stamped 'Westbury' but it had nearly worn off completely.
The seller said it was original, though I'd previously only seen one with a logo on it. I'll take a better look at it next time I have it out (currently in a pile of cases) to see if there are signs of the logo remaining.
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

BacchusPaul wrote:Looks great. How heavy/light does it feel?
I haven't got anything to weigh it on but I suppose I would say it feels like a light Les Paul. It's mahogany and Les Paul thickness, though without the cap. Certainly heavier than your average Fender.
Shabba.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ah, okay. For some reason I'd assumed it would be SG light. I think that's one of the things that puts me off SGs. I like a bit of heft in a guitar.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

James wrote:
BacchusPaul wrote:Looks great. How heavy/light does it feel?
I haven't got anything to weigh it on but I suppose I would say it feels like a light Les Paul. It's mahogany and Les Paul thickness, though without the cap. Certainly heavier than your average Fender.
The kitchen scales had more range than I thought. It weighs 3.95kg. For comparison a quick search shows an average Les Paul coming in around 4.1-4.3 and a heavy one more like 4.5-4.8 (I believe the Ibanez Artist I sold Fran was 7.6kg). So it's approaching Les Paul territory but on the light side of that.

For further comparison and because I was curious myself, here are a few other weights (all in kg, of course).

Squier Jazz Bass - 3.9
Squier Venus - 3.1
Squier Hello Kitty Strat - 3.3
Fender Coronado - 2.6
Shabba.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

It's relatively sunny outside so I took a few daylight pictures. One interesting thing is that the fret ends on the low E side are fairly inconsistent. Some show a little, some you can see all of and some are hidden completely what looks like the sawdust + epoxy technique. On the high E (where it matters) side they're all hidden flawlessly. It makes sense but I'm not sure I've owned a guitar where they've put the effort in on one side but not the other. There's also a picture showing the chipped nut at the low E. The part underneath the string is fully in-tact and the shape of the base would make it a pain to replace so I'll be leaving it as is.

► Show Spoiler
Shabba.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Looks immense and your changes to it have really improved the look.

Rock on.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

That is a beauty, in every phase of it's customisation!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

LOVE the plain chromey covers, hot as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Doog wrote:LOVE the plain chromey covers, hot as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Available for the price of £Ridiculous all across the Internet. Or a fairly reasonable £4.25 with free delivery from Axes R Us
Shabba.
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

James wrote:
Doog wrote:LOVE the plain chromey covers, hot as fuuuuuuuuuuuck.
Available for the price of £Ridiculous all across the Internet. Or a fairly reasonable £4.25 with free delivery from Axes R Us
I saw those covers and thought of Electrical Guitar Company.

James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Obviously from the same idea but the Travis Beans have a similar thing, too.

Shabba.