I hate 10-52's on my Mustang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

paul_

Re: I hate 10-52's on my Mustang

Post by paul_ »

Armchair Bronco wrote:My litmus test for bendability is Nirvana's "Dive"
Why would you use a heavy bottom set if your aim for easy bends is something where you only bend the 3 bottom (aka heavy) strings, and all at once? 10-52s have heavier bass strings than most .011 sets, that's the point. It's so you can bend the 3 top strings easier on leads while feeling like you're using heavy-ass strings on rhythm work.

Try 11-48. More balanced feel, maybe it'll trick you into thinking it sounds better too. I wouldn't consider a Mustang good for early Nirvana stuff, certainly not much of Bleach or Incesticide... your HH should handle it well though.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

zactly.
Pacafeliz

Post by Pacafeliz »

singlepickup24 wrote:Personally I put 11s on everything, regardless of scale.
+1
my name is Pat.
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

I've been using 10s indiscriminately lately, but I'm going to give 11s a try on the Super Sonic next setup.
Armchair Bronco

Post by Armchair Bronco »

My package of goodies arrived from Music123.com today. I cut off the 10-52's as fast as I could.

I used the opportunity to tighten up my '65RI Mustang tremolo springs by moving them up the tension post. This was not easy to do. I had to use some pliers in my left hand and a dull chisel in my right hand to coax them up the post. Then I screwed down the cigar as far as I could go, leaving just enough room for some 10-46's.

I didn't use any washers with the Mustang's bridge...maybe I won't have to. Not sure what washers would do to the Mustang's sustain.

Anyway, the guitar sounds great with 10-46's...and it plays even better. I was even able to do a cover of Nirvana's "Dive" that was nice 'n' bendy.
"In Power Trios I Trust"
Armchair Bronco

Re: I hate 10-52's on my Mustang

Post by Armchair Bronco »

paul_ wrote:
Armchair Bronco wrote:My litmus test for bendability is Nirvana's "Dive"
Why would you use a heavy bottom set if your aim for easy bends is something where you only bend the 3 bottom (aka heavy) strings, and all at once?
Why? Because apparently I am a dumb ass! :oops:
"In Power Trios I Trust"
honeyiscool

Post by honeyiscool »

If you're never gonna use the whammy. you can flip then screw the cigar all the way down. Shim the neck and raise the bridge. The tailpiece will pretty much hardtail itself and you can screw it down as low as it will go.
Kicking and squealing Gucci little piggy.