Tremolo suggestions

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

othomas2

Tremolo suggestions

Post by othomas2 »

Lookin for a tremolo again.... and being lazy.

Needs to Boss sized, as amp-like as possible. I'd really like it to be capable of quite an extreme throbbing tremolo at slow settings.

Choppy even (sound/no sound/sound etc) , like my old MBM Trem / Vibrato

Under £100 if poss, don't mind used.

thanks
Owen
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Boss TR2 with Monte Albums mod.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Secondhand Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo?
[youtube][/youtube]
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
George

Post by George »

If you want amp-like and throbby, Guyatone TR2s and Ibanez TL5s are good in my experience but hard to come by. Nearly all trems will do the choppy 100% depth but tend to be either sine OR square/triangle wave.
onedaycloser

Post by onedaycloser »

Slightly off topic - I think I saw that trem/vibrato pedal demo'd on YouTube? Was it based on anything particular or one of Mike's creations?

On topic I like my ModTone Tremor pedal when I required trem soundz. Does quite choppy to a slight flutter, though a volume control would be nice.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

johnnyseven wrote:Boss TR2 with Monte Albums mod.
Does that mod resolve the volume issue Mark?
I dont remember the TR-2 doing square wave either, if he wants stop/start i think he will want more control.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Thanks guys, in fact I forgot about the Dano Tremolo... and really like it. Might get one for the time being actually.

Is a clone of another tremolo does anyone know ?
lorez

Post by lorez »

Fran wrote:
I dont remember the TR-2 doing square wave either, if he wants stop/start i think he will want more control.
i've one at the moment and it has a knob that takes it from sine wave to squarewave. gets choppy but not like spaceman 3 vox percussion repeater choppy. I've not really noticed a volume issue on mine, what is it?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

lorez wrote:
Fran wrote:
i've one at the moment and it has a knob that takes it from sine wave to squarewave. gets choppy but not like spaceman 3 vox percussion repeater choppy. I've not really noticed a volume issue on mine, what is it?
Some people say that there is a drop in volume when the tremolo is engaged, however i'm not sure if there is an actual drop in volume or just a perceived drop due to the effect. The Monte Allums mod changes a few components to make the pedal sound better and adds a volume knob so you can add a load mopre volume if that's what you want. As Lorez said, you can get a square wave sound, triangle wave and anything inbetween. It' not super choppy like a repeat percussion, however a repeat percussion will only do really choppy - the Boss is a lot more versatile.
Johno

Post by Johno »

johnnyseven wrote:
lorez wrote:
Fran wrote:Does that mod resolve the volume issue Mark?
Some people say that there is a drop in volume when the tremolo is engaged, however i'm not sure if there is an actual drop in volume or just a perceived drop due to the effect. The Monte Allums mod changes a few components to make the pedal sound better and adds a volume knob so you can add a load mopre volume if that's what you want. As Lorez said, you can get a square wave sound, triangle wave and anything inbetween. It' not super choppy like a repeat percussion, however a repeat percussion will only do really choppy - the Boss is a lot more versatile.
Another vote for the TR-2, had one for years.
JohnnyTheBoy

Post by JohnnyTheBoy »

What about the Dano Tuna Melt?..u can alter the waveform on that...I had one for a while, you can get some great shoegaze stuff outta them...
My reason for selling mine was I didn't get on with the jacks and on off switch...had no issues with volume drop tho!...other than that a fab bit of kit...
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Decided to give the Joyo a try... liked some of the demos I heard and it's cheap in nice basic box style casing.

Thanks again, I ignored all your advice but it appreciated. haha

Owen
rps-10

Post by rps-10 »

That was the one I was going to buy (there have been several Tremolo recommendation threads over the last few months) so would be very interested to hear what you think of it. In the end I bought and made up the Musikding tremolo kit.
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

i've been thinking about this too. the z-cat Q-Trem looks/sounds quite good. lots of shape options and a sneaky reverb knob in there for good measure:

[youtube][/youtube]

not sure i want to stretch to 109EUR though.
DasBeef

Post by DasBeef »

I have an Earthquaker Devices Hummingbird that I'm pretty happy with.
gaybear
Inventor of the Blues

Post by gaybear »

markarkark wrote:i've been thinking about this too. the z-cat Q-Trem looks/sounds quite good. lots of shape options and a sneaky reverb knob in there for good measure:

[youtube][/youtube]

not sure i want to stretch to 109EUR though.

Me Gusta!
plopswagon wrote: Drunk and disorderly conduct is the cradle of democracy.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Well got the tremolo today... I'm very happy. It's decent, can't fault it !!

Perhaps lacks a little character of the high end pedals but I quite like it plain straightforwardness. Does the job nicely.

Will do a little youtube clip soon. Tempted to buy the rest of the line, especially the ultimate drive.

Great value for money.

O
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Did a quick demo of the joyo, most boring demo ever. Hopefully you can get an idea of what it does.

[youtube][/youtube]
wwrrss
COCKDESTROYER

Post by wwrrss »

NICE STICKER!
UlricvonCatalyst

Post by UlricvonCatalyst »

I've got a Watson Fifties Tremolo which sounds every bit as good as the booteek one I had (Mojo Hand Sugar Baby) and is actually more flexible (continually variable between triangle and square wave; disappointing at the triangle end, but pretty great from the mid-point on and definitely as choppy as you like).

They're also branded AXL and are usually dirt cheap. Full metal jacket, unlike the Dano/Behringer ones. Well worth a look.

Edit: Oops - didn't notice you've already bought one. Still, 50s Trem FTW!