Mambo Amps - Tiny but super powerful amps

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Gabriel

Mambo Amps - Tiny but super powerful amps

Post by Gabriel »

There is a growing trend of guitar amps that are tiny and incredibly powerful. The ZT Lunchbox really set the benchmark, but although its really loud it doesn't sound all that great. So I've been looking around at other amps in the same market and I came across Mambo amplifiers. They're made just outside of Manchester and it's a little company so customer service is brilliant.

The coolest part is after emailing the company with an inquiry, I was offered a model to try out for a bit. I'll be receiving it in a week or so to try out. I'm pretty excited to see how it sounds.

http://mambo-amp.co.uk

This is a picture from another forum:

Last edited by Gabriel on Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Free amp... sounds good.

I really like my zt lunchbox, great cleans and takes pedals well, it does benefit from a decent extension cab.
XY
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

So it came, and it's amazing. It's a brilliant little amp. The wedge design is really smart, on the floor it now aims directly at my head and the sound is lovely. It's also bloody loud, way way louder than the ZT.

So maybe you'll see my ZT lunchbox popping up in the classifieds soon.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

looks neat, but hey, whats with the price?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

They go for £550, which is what is killing me. I don't have that money at the moment so I'll have to try and work something out if I want to buy one of these.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

Gabriel wrote:They go for £550,
Ouch !! Do you need such a small / lightweight amp ?

What's the wattage ?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Yeah I travel a lot on public transport and spend much of my time split between Manchester and Birmingham so I need a lightweight solution. The ZT only puts out 30 watts RMS through the inbuilt speaker which is fine when you're playing in smaller bands, but the minute I try and play along with a larger group - in particularly with a brass section - it's a nightmare.

The Mambo is only slightly larger but has an 8 inch speaker that puts out 180 watts RMS. I haven't tried it with a big band yet - I am tomorrow night - so it'll be interesting to see how it works out.
othomas2

Post by othomas2 »

I see !! Makes sense then.

I was very close to buying the Club 12 at one point, but there just seemed to be something off and not quite right... but it was decent.

Always thought it to be a perfect jazz guitarists amp, not so much rock.

Good Luck with the new amp. If it does what it should at that size then it's a winner at whatever cost.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

There is something a bit weird about the ZTs, I can't put my finger on it. In a live situation you don't notice it but I don't think they ever sound 100%. I'm just trying out this Mambo at the moment, basically deciding if it sounds twice as good at the ZT seeing as it is twice the price. So far I'm impressed but I can't be sure until I take it out of the house.
Ben79

Post by Ben79 »

That's a lot for a little solid state amp, even if it is super loud. Do you know what's in it that makes it so expensive?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Well it's not that expensive when you compare it to similar Polytones, Henriksens and Acoustic Image amps. In fairness it does sound brilliant, I'd say it is comparable to my Rivera for about 1/3rd of the price.