EHX SMMwH or Boss DD20 Giga Delay?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Simon

Post by Simon »

Ah fair enough. That actually works better. I thought the reverse function wouldn't work at all. So will it keep repeating the note until you take your foot off the switch?
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

until you press again, or 6 secs pass
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

Borrowed my mate's SMMwH, it sounds good but it may just have too many options for me - i'm not a tweaker, more of a set and forget kind of guy. From another thread I became aware of the TC Electronics Flashback x4 and i'm quite interested, I think I need to get the 3 pedals together in a store and work out which I like the best - although if the TC Electronics does multi tap it'll probably have me sold. Any more pedals I should look into in the £200 price range, i'm discounting the Line 6 pedal as it's huge and wouldn't fit on my board.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

johnnyseven wrote:Any more pedals I should look into in the £200 price range
The TC Electronics Nova Delay is usually about £200. There are two versions (one has a modified input buffer or something).

Not tried either so this isn't a recommendation.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I'm quite interested in this too.

Vox Delay Lab
Simon

Post by Simon »

johnnyseven wrote:Borrowed my mate's SMMwH, it sounds good but it may just have too many options for me - i'm not a tweaker, more of a set and forget kind of guy. From another thread I became aware of the TC Electronics Flashback x4 and i'm quite interested, I think I need to get the 3 pedals together in a store and work out which I like the best - although if the TC Electronics does multi tap it'll probably have me sold. Any more pedals I should look into in the £200 price range, i'm discounting the Line 6 pedal as it's huge and wouldn't fit on my board.
To be honest, I only use my presets now. I like the fact that I can tweak around with it as and when though. I only ever change settings when moving onto a different song in the set. It's good to know that I have other options if I want them.
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

johnnyseven wrote:I'm quite interested in this too.

Vox Delay Lab
That looks promising
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

The searching is over for the time being, I scored a DD20 on ebay for £100. It was too good a price to pass up!
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

johnnyseven wrote:The searching is over for the time being, I scored a DD20 on ebay for £100. It was too good a price to pass up!
Soooooooooo, what's your verdict? Been using my trusty DD-3 since forever but quite like the idea of something with a few more bells and whistles (tap/precise tempo setting, reverse, analogue etc) so would be interested to hear how you're getting on with it.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

Boss does the good old fashioned digital delays.
EHX has a lot of whacky toanz and fun capabilities. I thoroughly enjoyed mine, but it has SHIT THE BED. although, to be fair to EHX, another guy in my band borrowed it, and he destroys everything he plays, so his feet may have kicked it to death.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

BearBoy wrote:
johnnyseven wrote:The searching is over for the time being, I scored a DD20 on ebay for £100. It was too good a price to pass up!
Soooooooooo, what's your verdict? Been using my trusty DD-3 since forever but quite like the idea of something with a few more bells and whistles (tap/precise tempo setting, reverse, analogue etc) so would be interested to hear how you're getting on with it.
I really liked the DD20, it had all I ever really need in a delay. However I came to discover that I didn't really need it for what I bought it for, which was the ability to store presets. Due to the amount of pedal board space it took up and the additional weight I sold it on (for more than I bought it for) and got myself a TC Electronic Flashback, which does pretty much the same as the Boss but much smaller.

I also borrowed my mates SMMwH, I like it but don't have much use for the crazy, wacky delay sound you can get out of it. I also think I prefer having the option of different delay types (tape, analog etc) so i'm happy with what I have.
mastermorya

Post by mastermorya »

I had a carbon copy, and then I gifted it to my brother-in-law. I got a DD-20 for $100, which was a good deal. But I sold it. Everything on it sounded pretty blah, even compared to a DD-5, but that was just my ears. I really like tape echo, and much preferred the RE-20. I got rid of that and got a DL4, which I think is clearly superior to the DD-20. But I did like that I could get ms readout for my delay time on the DD-20. So I sold a bunch of shit and got an M9, then I sold that to my brother-in-law and now I have a Timeline. I love it, but I also use a carbon copy and caitlinbread Echorec to mix things up.

Hazarai is awesome. My band mate has one. I like us having different sounds, so I haven't gotten one for myself, but if he didn't have one I would probably say fuck it and get it. I definitely prefer to the DD-20 because it has a universe of great unique sounds. But you aren't going to get analog, or tape, or whatever on it.
Concretebadger

Post by Concretebadger »

My DD-3 is my 'bread and butter' delay that does everything I want it to apart from tap tempo (which is fine in a studio setting when I have a few minutes to spare for tweaking the 'delay time' knob to sync it with the song). The advantage it has over the newer ones is that you can pitch bend the repeats like you can with an analogue unit; I read somewhere that it's partly analogue in that sense...the best of both worlds really.

I used to have a Carbon Copy, which is good as a smal-footprint analogue echo. I sold it to someone on here a while back because the self-oscillation was a little too polished and not noisy enough. It's a cool device though, and the modulate setting's nice.

My RV-3 is based on the newer, DD-5 onwards digital circuit I believe, but the delay/reverb combo modes are great. I just use the reverb modes now though, so I'll be replacing it with an EHX Cathedral asap.

What I really want is a tape-style delay instead of a bucket brigade-style analogue echo - I've been considering the RE-20 actually. I know nothing will get exactly the same mojo as an old Space Echo, but that one is tempting. What's the general opinion on those?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

johnnyseven wrote:I really liked the DD20, it had all I ever really need in a delay. However I came to discover that I didn't really need it for what I bought it for, which was the ability to store presets. Due to the amount of pedal board space it took up and the additional weight I sold it on (for more than I bought it for) and got myself a TC Electronic Flashback, which does pretty much the same as the Boss but much smaller.�
Yeah, I’ve been looking at the bigger delays out there (DD-20, Nova Delay, DMM etc) but tbh I don’t really have any need for presets either. I really just want a few more features than my old DD-3 has. Maybe a Flashback or a DD-7 would be a better (i.e. cheaper) bet.
Concretebadger wrote:What I really want is a tape-style delay instead of a bucket brigade-style analogue echo - I've been considering the RE-20 actually. I know nothing will get exactly the same mojo as an old Space Echo, but that one is tempting. What's the general opinion on those?
I’ve got something on its way from Mike that will hopefully sort this side of things out for me.
Last edited by BearBoy on Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

The DD7 is great and it's what made me want to get the DD20, I should have just kept it really.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

johnnyseven wrote:The DD7 is great and it's what made me want to get the DD20, I should have just kept it really.
How would you compare the DD-7 to the Flashback?
johnnyseven

Post by johnnyseven »

I sold the DD7 a while before I got the Flashback so can't really compare the sounds, however the tap/strum tempo on the Flashback is easier to use than the tap tempo on the DD7.