My babby Jaggy so prettie

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

MikeG

Post by MikeG »

Wonderful picture.
ekwatts wrote:
If you really need those extra harmonics then play a fucking sitar.
Doug

VINTAGE?

Post by Doug »

What year is it?...Do ya need to consider vintage preservation?

If not, that nice burst finish would look great with a tort guard. Re. pups, Jazzmasters were made for the softer jazz tones, as you may well know, and your current pups may be consistent with that purpose. If you're a purist ya might consider going back to the original pups. If you're lookin for a Rock, Country or other tone, sky's the limit... :P...enjoy!

Cheers,
Doug
SKC Willie
Bunk Ass Fuck

Post by SKC Willie »

that guitar had a tort on it at one point. I originally bought that guitar of craigslist and the wiring was a mess. that was the 2nd guitar I ever rewired and was in way over my head with a jag. I ended up wiring the switches backwards, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the strangle is always on.

thought that guitar looked hideous when I bought it and still do.

the funny part is, I sold that on craigslist and then it went to someone on offset somehow, then it came back so SS.org!
twitter.com/skcwillie

follow me . . . . you won't
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

posing like Paul1K
Precise dwarf bravery
hotrodperlmutter
crescent fresh

Post by hotrodperlmutter »

SKC Willie wrote:that guitar had a tort on it at one point. I originally bought that guitar of craigslist and the wiring was a mess. that was the 2nd guitar I ever rewired and was in way over my head with a jag. I ended up wiring the switches backwards, so it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the strangle is always on.

thought that guitar looked hideous when I bought it and still do.

the funny part is, I sold that on craigslist and then it went to someone on offset somehow, then it came back so SS.org!
I thought it was an old Robbie jag. So groossssss finish, and my fingers are crossed for perma-stranglz.
ellengtrgrl

Post by ellengtrgrl »

Modified Jag....... mmmmmmmm noice!! 8)
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Haha, top thread on so many levels! :D
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

UPDATE

Swapped the neck with JohnnyNoir for an MIJ Mustang neck with white plastic button'd tuners. MUCH HAPPIER!

I put a buttload of foam under the bridge pickup and raised it right up under the strings, so it's actually audible and usable now! This lead to two realizations: the pickups are wired out-of-phase (easy fix) and the strangle switch doesn't do anything for any reason ever.

Still considering dropping in the mustang cover'd GFS lil killer that I got from cobascis like 300 years ago. If I do, I'll use the strangle switch as a coilsplit (if I can find a wiring diagram).

The bridge setup eats high e's like grade school sack lunches if you use the REVERB HANDLE too much, which I normally don't.

Would what dude suggested on the previous page be possible, as in to put the TOM tailpiece on and string through it as a buzzstop?
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

Does that pickup have 4 wires or 2? I could possibly help you with wiring it if it has 4.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

The GFS one? 4.
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

whatever you do. do not get involved with the duncan s-jag3. its crap. worse than the stock jap pup. everyone at brofest can attest to this. except sloan, he was wicked drunk the entire time.
i rather fancy the american jag pups myself. i even got aen to love the neck pup in his, and he is rather picky when it comes to pickups.
Pens
less dickface

Post by Pens »

theshadowofseattle wrote:The GFS one? 4.
Okay, instead of coil splitting I recommend doing a series/parallel switch. The reasons for this is that a humbucker coil individually is generally smaller than a standard single coil in output, but it doesn't matter since it's supposed to be hooked up in series. Hooking them up in parallel makes them sound like two single coils in parallel (like the 2/5 position on a strat) PLUS it lets you keep the hum cancelling.

Now, if you really want to do it as a coil tap despite my recommendation that's cool.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/pro ... 05-110.pdf

This pdf lists both. Just run your wire from your pickup to the current strangle switch and wire it like the coiltap/seriesparallel diagram that you choose to go with, then run the "output" (black wire in these diagrams) to the middle switch.

Done.
euan wrote: I'm running in monoscope right now. I can't read multiple dimensions of meta right now
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

robert(original) wrote:do not get involved with the duncan s-jag3. its crap.
QFT
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Pens wrote:
theshadowofseattle wrote:The GFS one? 4.
Okay, instead of coil splitting I recommend doing a series/parallel switch. The reasons for this is that a humbucker coil individually is generally smaller than a standard single coil in output, but it doesn't matter since it's supposed to be hooked up in series. Hooking them up in parallel makes them sound like two single coils in parallel (like the 2/5 position on a strat) PLUS it lets you keep the hum cancelling.

Now, if you really want to do it as a coil tap despite my recommendation that's cool.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/pro ... 05-110.pdf

This pdf lists both. Just run your wire from your pickup to the current strangle switch and wire it like the coiltap/seriesparallel diagram that you choose to go with, then run the "output" (black wire in these diagrams) to the middle switch.

Done.
if he adds a switch, he can do a split, too, but that's more work. the few times i've split, i always liked the results. but yeah, what pens said is slick as hot snot.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

robert(original) wrote:whatever you do. do not get involved with the duncan s-jag3. its crap. worse than the stock jap pup. everyone at brofest can attest to this. except sloan, he was wicked drunk the entire time.
i rather fancy the american jag pups myself. i even got aen to love the neck pup in his, and he is rather picky when it comes to pickups.

WHAT ABOUT ME WHO PUT THE SJAG3 IN IT IN THE FIRST PLACE. THATS 2 PEOPLE. ME AND DRUNK SLONE AGAINST YOU AND SOBER ENDS.

WHO YOU GONNA BELIEVE ON SJAG3 ?

[youtube][/youtube]
robert(original)

Post by robert(original) »

its thin and nasty sounding. i think aen even gave it a go was amazing disopointed. we played with the idea that i just got a dud, but i don't think so.
i don't think i have ever played another one in a different guitar tho... excpet perhaps your bronco, that has one right?
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Also, the old bat Jag I traded to Aen had an SJag-2 in the bridge which also suuuuuuuuuucked.

The only SD Jaguar pickups I've ever liked were the Antiquities.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

While you nerds were busy hijacking my thread talking about some pickup that I don't give a fuck about, I tried the TOM tailpiece buzzstop. Nope. It started to pull the tom posts up out of the guitar. Bad idea.
NickS

Post by NickS »

iCEByTes wrote:posing like Paul1K
Missed this first time around.
I think you meant "posting".
Not
iCEByTes

Post by iCEByTes »

Shad and paul1k brothers ?

Precise dwarf bravery