Classic Debate: One or Two pickup Musicmaster?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

drew199321

Classic Debate: One or Two pickup Musicmaster?

Post by drew199321 »

So My musicmaster is STILL in the shop, delayed another week because of holiday backup... crap....
So my question is: when she's ready for pickup installation, should I go with the stock one pickup to keep everything neat tidy? or should I go in the "Duo-Sonicmaster-ocaster" dual-pickup Route? I'm just looking for some opinions on sound, versatility and stuff. Thanks in advance! :D
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Personally I could not see myself getting on with a guitar that didn't have a bridge pickup. If you've got the option then I'd totally go the duo route, assuming you're not cutting up a vintage pickguard.
James
Nutmeg

Post by James »

Always two, there's no reason not to.
Shabba.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Two :!:
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
stewart
Cunning Linguist

Post by stewart »

one...

but make it the bridge only.
MrJamesBrown

Post by MrJamesBrown »

I'm using a dummy pup in the bridge of my MM atm. Recently I just haven't been using the bridge pickup at all really. That, and I don't know where I'd put the pickup selector. I considered getting a rotary switch and replacing the tone pot..
Sidney Vicious

Post by Sidney Vicious »

I have a one pick-up '76 Music Master and love it as is - but in a better world it would have two pickups and a selector switch.

When I had Strat's I almost always used only the neck - likewise Telecasters.

That said, there are Esquire fans who swear that a one bridge pickup Esquire sounds different from a two pick-up Telecaster played through the bridge pickup alone - because the magnets in the neck pickup - even when not engaged - pull on the strings and thus influence the sound. Under that theory the neck pickup in a two pickup MM will not sound the same as a neck pickup in a one pickup MM.

If your ears are as sensitive as a hummingbird's . . . .
Parm

Post by Parm »

I look forward to seeing where this discussion goes. I picked up a MM recently because I wanted that one-pickup-in-the-neck-position sound--my strat was nearly always in the neck position. I just dig that sound...
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Sidney Vicious wrote:I have a one pick-up '76 Music Master and love it as is - but in a better world it would have two pickups and a selector switch.

When I had Strat's I almost always used only the neck - likewise Telecasters.

That said, there are Esquire fans who swear that a one bridge pickup Esquire sounds different from a two pick-up Telecaster played through the bridge pickup alone - because the magnets in the neck pickup - even when not engaged - pull on the strings and thus influence the sound. Under that theory the neck pickup in a two pickup MM will not sound the same as a neck pickup in a one pickup MM.

If your ears are as sensitive as a hummingbird's . . . .
Apparently that's why PHIL X!! removes the neck pup in his guitars.

I never missed the bridge pup in my old MM. I almost always use just the neck pup. On the rare occasion I use the bridge pup it tends to only be with buckers.
moore65

Post by moore65 »

2 pickups, or 1 P-Rails.
Bronco Bass
Squier Strat w/Hot Rails,
flea market nylon classical,
Ibanez bass w/Quarter Pounder X 2
Union Jack DC Epiphone LP
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

You may want to play it first and see what you think. But I guess you'll never know until you have two. Only one rout?
Yell Like Hell
drew199321

Post by drew199321 »

Adding fuel to the fire here..... Anyone got pics of two-pickup musicmasters? Looks like I might be headed in that direction! Thanks again :D
mixtape

Post by mixtape »

Unless it's your only guitar, I'd stick with the one pickup. That's sort of the Musicmaster's charm. When you need a hotter sound, switch to a guitar with a bridge pup. Unless your gigging situation or the kind of music you're playing makes that impractical, of course.

Personally, I'm finding that a single coil in the neck position gives me my favorite clean sound, whereas I like to go to a bridge humbucker for RAWK.
markarkark

Post by markarkark »

What kind of musicmaster? If it's a MMII with the bridge route already there get a new pickguard and go for it (if you're a bridge pickup kinda person, obvs). For the love of god don't route a vintage body or pickguard. (Forum member cooterfinger can make you a really nice duo body for a good price if you ask him nicely!)
MattK

Post by MattK »

I love the single pickup on mine. It sounds great and reduces decision making. Not to sound like a wanker but it can make you explore things a bit more to get different sounds.
DGNR8

Post by DGNR8 »

One pickup is pretty gutsy.

IMO for six hundred bucks, this is still the best DEAL you can get on a Fender. It's only 3/4 inch shorter than a Les Paul. I would rather have a 59 LP too, but for that much money you could have piles of these.
Yell Like Hell
George

Post by George »

90% of my time is on the neck pickup. one day i would like to a single neck pickup guitar like the musicmaster. i agree there's something ballsy about it.
MMPicker

Post by MMPicker »

drew199321 wrote:Adding fuel to the fire here..... Anyone got pics of two-pickup musicmasters? Looks like I might be headed in that direction! Thanks again :D
You can find six zillion relevant pictures by searching for pictures of pre-1964 Duo-sonics; they came with a toggle selector switch. And/or post-1963 Mustangs or Duo-sonics, these came with slider selector switches.

An actual converted Musicmaster won't look much different than those. At least mine doesn't. Here it is:
This is a Musicmaster II that I had routed for the toggle switch. The guitar came pre-routed for Mustang slider switches, but I didn't want those. I was accustomed to using a toggle switch from my prior guitar.

You can find more pictures, and information, here:
http://www.marcelroy.com/mods/mm2ds/mm2dstips.html

I didn't notice any change in tone of the neck pickup after I added the bridge pickup.

Whether to add a bridge pickup depends on how you play. The neck pickup sounds great, but nevertheless I also use my bridge pickup not infrequently. So I would definitely prefer to have it there.
I also use the middle position, with the two pickups, which is noise canceling.
But how much you want these other sounds available is entirely up to you, not me.

PS, in my case the vintage body was aleady whacked underneath, someone had humbuckers in it at one time, so I didn't mind routing it. I did cut the vintage pickguard for the toggle switch. But I did this a long time ago, If I was doing it today I may have bought a replacement pickguard instead and left the vintage one intact.
finboy

Post by finboy »

drew199321 wrote:Adding fuel to the fire here..... Anyone got pics of two-pickup musicmasters? Looks like I might be headed in that direction! Thanks again :D
Mine before converting back to duo sonic style

Mo Law-ka
strictly roots

Post by Mo Law-ka »

I'll see your neck-only and raise you one bridge-only.
jcyphe wrote: Mo is the most sensible person in this thread.
icey wrote:and thats for the hatters (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻