Cyclone II or Mustang Special?

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Someone offerd a cyclone II to me. I love my cyclone I and i always wanted a cyclone II. But what is a realistic price for that thing. It's a red one, first-hand. How much is it traded in europe?
How much would you pay?
Last edited by jagsonic on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

Much like most Mexican Fenders, these don't really appreciate much but they do hold their value very well. Even if they're oddball and relatively rare.

The price for Daphne Blue ones seems to have been set around the $500-$550 mark for YEARS. I bought one five years ago for that, sold it for that 2 years ago and I've come across one in a shop for $500 last year.

CAR ones go for a little less.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

So, i head the price: 500€. :-( I think, thats too much. Won't pay more than 400...

So i went in a guitarstore this day and i played a car mustang special first run. What a cool guitar!!! I can buy it new for 450€.

What will be the better deal? Cyclone II or Mustang Special?

btw: whats the difference between the new and the old pawn shop mustang specials?
BearBoy

Re: Cyclone II or Mustang Special?

Post by BearBoy »

jagsonic wrote:btw: whats the difference between the new and the old pawn shop mustang specials?
The old ones are MIJ and have a glossy neck and the truss rod adjustment at the body end of the neck.

The new ones are MIM and have a more satin neck and the truss rod adjustment at the headstock.

Other than that, I think they are the same.

I've got one of the MIJ ones in LPB and really like it. 450€ for a new example sounds like a bargain.
Last edited by BearBoy on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

So, 450€ seems a good deal?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

jagsonic wrote:So, 450€ seems a good deal?
I think I edited my post before you replied ;)

Yes, I'd say 450€ is a great deal.

Not played a Cyclone II though so cannot make any comparisons to that.
weeping_moon

Post by weeping_moon »

I dont know anything about these guitars.
But i have to say i would go for the cyclone 2. If its in good condition! CAR looks great!
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

mustangs are much easier to come by in the states, so i gotta imagine the cyclones are the rarer find in germany, too. i've wanted a cyclone 2 for years.
gofive

Post by gofive »

Do the Cyclone II because you may never get another chance to get one. They are becoming more and more rare by the day.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I'm a little bit confused. I saw photos of cyclone IIs with different vibratosystems. Some have the vintage one (with six srews) and some have the new one with two screws. What's about that?
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

jagsonic wrote:I'm a little bit confused. I saw photos of cyclone IIs with different vibratosystems. Some have the vintage one (with six srews) and some have the new one with two screws. What's about that?

the Cyclone, Cyclone HH and Cyclone II all came with vintage 6 screw tremolos. 2 screws are better, but means someone modded one. Jagmasters came with 6 and 2 screw tremolos, but not Cyclones.

I would go for the Cyclone II. Love the CAR with stripe.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I don't think, there are modded. Here is a link to an store that sold them: http://www.soundland.de/catalog/e-gitar ... 42826.html

Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I'd go Cyclone II... just because they're so hard to come by.

The Mustang Special is a phenomenal guitar, and that's a really great price... but, it's a model that's easily attainable (though not necessarily at that price). You're not likely to encounter another Cyclone II.

Both are extremely cool guitars... I'm glad I'm not faced with the decision. I know that whichever choice I made, I'd kick myself for missing the other deal :P
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
laterallateral
Traynor or Death

Post by laterallateral »

The tuning machines and the bridge+saddles have been changed on that Cyclone II.

Not saying they aren't an improvement (altough I would go for slotted vintage tuners over whatever those things are any time) but I just thought I'd let you know because unless he's got the original parts, I'd say this should reflect negatively on the price.

EDIT: String tree is not original, as well.
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

laterallateral wrote:The tuning machines and the bridge+saddles have been changed on that Cyclone II.

Not saying they aren't an improvement (altough I would go for slotted vintage tuners over whatever those things are any time) but I just thought I'd let you know because unless he's got the original parts, I'd say this should reflect negatively on the price.

EDIT: String tree is not original, as well.

Yep. They didn't come with roller trees, and the locking strap locks are a bonus, but not original either. That thing is sweet, but it's been modded. Good advice to get the original parts as well if you can.
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

why get the original parts unless the point is to immediately retrofit and sell? those mods all make it more stable. i had a strat with those sadles, tuners, and trees, and that thing was always in tune.

edit: keep in mind, too, that the roller tree requires two holes, so putting the old one back on might leave you with some 'splainin to do.
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Oh, i think you misunderstood me. The one i got offered is with the old tuners and 6 srew bridge.
The one i posted above i found while i searched the net. It's an old onlineshopoffer. So i think the late Cyclone IIs have this modifications in stock! Isn't it so?
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Ankhanu wrote:Both are extremely cool guitars... I'm glad I'm not faced with the decision. I know that whichever choice I made, I'd kick myself for missing the other deal :P
Yeah, you're right. I should be rich and buy both :cry: :oops:
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

jagsonic wrote:.
So i think the late Cyclone IIs have this modifications in stock! Isn't it so?
No. I've never seen it in my searches and no Cyclones with those specifications appear in any Fender literature that I've been privileged to read. Could it be a FSR? Perhaps, but I doubt it. Those are upgrades that you typically only see on American made Fender guitars, and there were no American made Cyclones that I am aware of.
Disciple of Pain

jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

that is all curious! You've seen my link: http://www.soundland.de/catalog/e-gitar ... 42826.html ? I don't know how it goes...