Dual Output Stratocaster

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Awstin

Dual Output Stratocaster

Post by Awstin »

So me and my friend took his Stratocaster and modded it like Scott Lucas's in the same manner but more professional. His strat has a GFS neck on it by the way. The pickups are a custom shop texas special, a p90 blade pickup from Seymour Duncan (I forget the name), and a p bass pickup. The one tone knob is a separate volume for the bass pickup and that output is on the bottom side of the guitar. My routes are all free hand as usual. The p bass route was really easy. but the route for the jack was a pain in the ass... I am not even going to tell you guys how I did that because you would all frown upon it haha... Guard was made by Cooterfinger. It's great. Here are the pics. Enjoy!

Untitled by punkacc9, on Flickr

STRINGS!

Congratulations! Your Punkacc9 evolved into Awstin.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

ok i give up-- why did you put a p-bass pickup in there?
George wrote:in the future there must be only guitars or only computers
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

[youtube][/youtube]
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

i think I'm going to be sick

youre still gonna have to run the "bass" output through a octave effect or something so why not just use a rail pup in a normal position w/ a separate output

the longer scale and thick strings are what make a bass a bass not the pickup

look, I know you are into "controversial" guitar builds but this is too much I can't let this happen I'm calling the cops.
theshadowofseattle wrote:TYPICAL AMERICAN BAND LIKE JAY Z, AXE BODY SPRAY, AND THE VENTURES.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Another example:

[youtube][/youtube]
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

brainfur wrote:i think I'm going to be sick

youre still gonna have to run the "bass" output through a octave effect or something so why not just use a rail pup in a normal position w/ a separate output

look, I know you are into "controversial" guitar builds but this is too much I can't let this happen I'm calling the cops.

Actually. We built a pedal to easily turn off/on guitar and bass and then two cables run from the pedal. One to a guitar amp, the other to a bass octave pedal and then a bass amp. It actually sounds amazing. It really fills in the sound of a bass perfectly. Then you could also play bass or guitar whenever or both at the same time. Also you can always put thicker strings on it. I will have to get a demo up.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

With that p bass pickup through this.. It sounds amazing. And hey what do ya know. That is exactly what we are using.

[youtube][/youtube]
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

What octave pedal are you using? Unless you've got some fancy Mutron or something, I'd imagine it sounds pretty muddy. I can get the same split effect with my OC-3 in poly mode.

I never use it in that mode though because it's a joke. Sure, you can set the range of notes it picks up on, but if you play two or more notes together in that register, it just makes farts. It can be mildly effective if you set it to only pick up the 6th string and you just play power chords, but that's awfully limiting.

Edit: just saw your post. I'm sure the above still applies though. That's a fucking cool pedal though. I use my OC-3 solely for putting bass lines into loops on my RC-2.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Sparky wrote:What octave pedal are you using? Unless you've got some fancy Mutron or something, I'd imagine it sounds pretty muddy. I can get the same split effect with my OC-3 in poly mode.

I never use it in that mode though because it's a joke. Sure, you can set the range of notes it picks up on, but if you play two or more notes together in that register, it just makes farts. It can be mildly effective if you set it to only pick up the 6th string and you just play power chords, but that's awfully limiting.

Edit: just saw your post. I'm sure the above still applies though. That's a fucking cool pedal though. I use my OC-3 solely for putting bass lines into loops on my RC-2.
Nah. It actually sounds good and replaces that bass sound when playing live and makes it sound more full.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

It is made to pick up the root notes. To pick up all the strings we will be using my dual output black jaguar.
brainfur

Post by brainfur »

mods please lock this thread it is racist against bass players
Sparky

Post by Sparky »

So it plays the worst possible bass lines? LOL

I never really appreciated bass lines either until I got into the Grateful Dead. That's when I realized that bass can do so much more than follow the roots and fifths of chords. They can be big funky guitar solos that live in the bass register. Even in non-jam music, "filling out a bass sound" vs having a bass line, is pretty huge.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Sparky wrote:So it plays the worst possible bass lines? LOL

I never really appreciated bass lines either until I got into the Grateful Dead. That's when I realized that bass can do so much more than follow the roots and fifths of chords. They can be big funky guitar solos that live in the bass register. Even in non-jam music, "filling out a bass sound" vs having a bass line, is pretty huge.
In a band that doesn't have a bass player, in an area that is hard to find a reliable bass player, it works great. So I'm sure you think local H is just terrible too right? lol.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Sparky

Post by Sparky »

Punkacc9 wrote:

In a band that doesn't have a bass player, in an area that is hard to find a reliable bass player, it works great. So I'm sure you think local H is just terrible too right? lol.
Hahaha! Nah, I dig Local H but you're not going to tell me he uses that fake bass setup in the recording studio.

Maybe you should switch to bass and build one with eighteen pickups and dual output that goes to an octave up pedal to simulate guitar. ;)
cur

Post by cur »

Sparky wrote: Maybe you should switch to bass and build one with eighteen pickups and dual output that goes to an octave up pedal to simulate guitar. ;)
Sparkly, he does not post too much, but when he does it is well worth the read.

Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Sparky wrote:
Punkacc9 wrote:

Hahaha! Nah, I dig Local H but you're not going to tell me he uses that fake bass setup in the recording studio.

Maybe you should switch to bass and build one with eighteen pickups and dual output that goes to an octave up pedal to simulate guitar. ;)

Lol. When did we say we would use it in the studio? We use an actual bass when recording. It is just for live and the guitar operates like a regular guitar when you dont have a seconf cable plugged in to it or the second output off..
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

brainfur wrote: youre still gonna have to run the "bass" output through a octave effect or something so why not just use a rail pup in a normal position w/ a separate output

It's about the pickup being small enough to position under 2 strings only, rather than it being a bass pickup.
Awstin

Post by Awstin »

Doog wrote:
brainfur wrote: youre still gonna have to run the "bass" output through a octave effect or something so why not just use a rail pup in a normal position w/ a separate output

It's about the pickup being small enough to position under 2 strings only, rather than it being a bass pickup.
Correct.
mezzio13
GOODmin

Post by mezzio13 »

This is an excellent build.